Double Fine Turn-Based Strategy Kickstarter

C2B

Certainly not something I'd expect from Schafer. I think I'll just follow this, not back for now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tim Schafer is a man of great ideas, a true visionary in some respects. I have a lot of respect for him ever since I played Psychonauts.

But its as Hurlshot said. The gameplay of Psychonauts was pure mediocrity, and Stacking wasn't much better. The theme and ideas are always well above what the competition does, but the mechanics are weak.

A turn based strategy is a game completely dominated by mechanics. Everything else is just icing on top.

And the game the lead designer for Massive Chalice made has a collective 75% on Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/iron-brigade

Which given today's low standards (notice even the glowing IGN review couldn't save it) is pretty bad.

I don't consider this one worth backing.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I like the premise, but 20 is a little steep for me right now. I haven't recovered from all the other projects I backed yet.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think Double Fine are the only ones who manage to entice me with the humor in their videos. Even if it's super cheesy, they're the only ones who make them fun in my opinion.

Game concept sounds intriguing. Will probably plunk down some cash for this one.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Psychonauts, the platforming was mediocre, the combat was terrible, but some of the puzzles were great, and it was all executed poorly. I thought Stacking was great, it was simple and short, but it did what it set out to do, and it was executed well. Brutal Legend was really bad, everything from the combat, driving, and especially the strategy was a massive fail. Costume Quest I stopped playing after a minute because it was full of QTE. Iron Brigade I haven't played, but it's the only Double Fine game I've seen praised for its gameplay. With Double Fine the theme, the art direction, the dialogue, the music, and the humour are always good. Double Fine have people that understand game mechanics, they just seem to let artists and writers dictate it, and you see the results.

Concept interesting, but ideas a bit oscure, sure will they clarify some in the next few days.

But if I don't misunderstand, it's steam-only and without any physical version, so sadly I won't pledge for this one.

It says DRM-free and on Steam:

I assume that will mean they'll give you a Steam key along with your download.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Babaganoosh13,

do me a favour? ;)

Don't put in links that take us directly to a payment option?

Clicked the first of your links suddenly I was halfway through the process of backing the project... ;)

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

What worries people about the gameplay?

Platforming and camera weren't great in Psychonauts. Action combat and the strategy combat wasn't great in Brutal Legend. Costume Quest was a lite rpg, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Stacking's gameplay worked well. Iron Brigade is still in my backlog. While I have bought all but one Double Fine game, the greatest part of their game is usually not gameplay.

Well I'll watch it and see how it develops and make a decision before it ends.  I've not played any of the Double Fine games, but I like the idea of this.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This sounds like an awesome game. Pretty sure I'll back this on the merit of the concept alone.

Will wait a few days though, just to see how things roll along. They're almost halfway to their goal already, so I'm pretty sure getting funded won't be a problem.

Edited by Spider

If they kickstart another Brutal Legend I am there day 1.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The video was exceptionally done. More importantly, I'm liking the concept. I'm down for a medieval fantasy X-Com. In for $20.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Concept interesting, but ideas a bit oscure, sure will they clarify some in the next few days.

But if I don't misunderstand, it's steam-only and without any physical version, so sadly I won't pledge for this one.

It says DRM-free and on Steam:

I assume that will mean they'll give you a Steam key along with your download.

Yes, I read that. I didn't really want to debate about Steam and DRM, but since it isn't clear, I assume that Double Fine won't add third party DRM. And I do not want to install Steam to play games.

They should have written "DRM-free or on Steam", or at least mention one other platform (Desura, GoG, Gamersgate, Gameolith...).

It isn't clear, especially for the Linux version.

Well on later tiers they mention the early version of the game being available on Steam (period, no mention of a DRM free download). As I understand (and may be mistaken) The Cave was a Steam exclusive, so I am holding off until they explicitly explain that they are not going to pull a Shadowrun Returns.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).