What you did today

Rosbjerg

Made me think of two people being electrocuted by arcing

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gah, I would never make it as a contract worker or commission only sales rep. I need the mental security of knowing exactly what I will be paid and that it will happen like clockwork every two weeks.

How do you contract workers find new contracts? Is there a online government system where prospective employers advertise job or something else?

Gah, I would never make it as a contract worker or commission only sales rep. I need the mental security of knowing exactly what I will be paid and that it will happen like clockwork every two weeks.

How do you contract workers find new contracts? Is there a online government system where prospective employers advertise job or something else?

I've been at the same place for 2 years. Renewing my contract every 6 months. I got the job I have now via a job center. Well, I found the job, they just helped me with papers and stuff like that. I honestly don't know what to do yet. I'm still in contact with the job center, but I'm also searching for jobs on my own. I'm considering applying for positions for everything possible, even if I'm not qualified.

Currently dosing myself with some Beecham's flu plus medicine, and potentially overdosing on some incredibly sugary maple flapjack bites... Possibly not a cunning idea.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The theater we go to has this steep/long stairway to get to the theater area from the ticket buying spot. One small escalator in the middle. Like this. On the way up, I took the stairs, figuring my knees could use the work. That was fine, didn't bother me at all.

On the way out, the escalator was too busy so I used the stairs. Big mistake. More than a few steps aren't part of my daily living, so I didn't realize just how bad my knees have become in the past year for going down ... I went slow but things were grinding together and I was limping back to the parking lot. :p That fever/virus in 2007 really messed up the knee/ankle joint sockets (even with str. exercise they still bug me/feel wobbly socket-wise) and it's getting worse I guess. So note to self: increase amount of leg strength exercises again, but no walking down stairs. Har. It's weird tho how a slope probably wouldn't have hurt as much as the stair motion did.

As to the Trek movie ... still kinda sinking in. I'll have to think about it. Offhand I'd give it maybe a B rating, which means I didn't love it nor dislike it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Commiserations, Labadal. It's not an easy life, working short contracts. You know this already, but just remember that it does mean you don't have to put up with broken cultures, office politics, and crappy views every day for the next fifteen years in the hope of seeing a pension that will get raided by some buffoon on ten times your salary who quits every day at four to play golf.

Good lord, that was good to get off my chest. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I sent about 50 applications over the past couple of years and I was gearing for another similarly sized set when I was suddenly offered the job at the current place... But yeah, the Ministry of Labour runs a national system for job offers that carries all public sector stuff and a sizeable part of private sector jobs. But obviously, connections is always going to be important.

I work for a commission now, albeit with an ok guaranteed salary. I just adopt the attitude that I'm going to get paid my normal salary and be happy if I get anything over it... Of course with the idea that if I don't start succeeding in this, I will move on sooner rather than later.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Commiserations, Labadal. It's not an easy life, working short contracts. You know this already, but just remember that it does mean you don't have to put up with broken cultures, office politics, and crappy views every day for the next fifteen years in the hope of seeing a pension that will get raided by some buffoon on ten times your salary who quits every day at four to play golf.

Good lord, that was good to get off my chest. :)

I love the part where I don't have to care about office politics. I don't even have an office! I don't do much paperwork at all. We're ten people working on a contract. Because of a major restructure and a new boss, I'm just assuming that I'm not wanted and those people's future is also uncertain. There are ~20 days left and when I ask about a renewal, I get the anwser "I don't know"

I've got enough savings to live well without a job for a year, it's just that I want to work. I like working with the kids and help shape them into better people, because, lord knows, some of them need help. Some of them were devestated when I told them I might not be there in a few weeks. I've worked a lot with some kids that other people haven't managed to deal with, basically getting the worst cases. They hit other kids and employeses when enraged but do not lay.a hand on me thanks to the trust they have gained for me. They don't do schoolwork and don't function in classes. I've changed that to some extent, mostly on my own. The funny part about all this is that I supposedly don't have the competence for my position, yet I have been here for two years.

I'll take some time to just enjoy myself before I start something new. Going to Germany the day after my last workday. Will visit my cousin, and might check out a few outlets here and there.

The theater we go to has this steep/long stairway to get to the theater area from the ticket buying spot. One small escalator in the middle. Like this. On the way up, I took the stairs, figuring my knees could use the work. That was fine, didn't bother me at all.

On the way out, the escalator was too busy so I used the stairs. Big mistake. More than a few steps aren't part of my daily living, so I didn't realize just how bad my knees have become in the past year for going down ... I went slow but things were grinding together and I was limping back to the parking lot. :p That fever/virus in 2007 really messed up the knee/ankle joint sockets (even with str. exercise they still bug me/feel wobbly socket-wise) and it's getting worse I guess. So note to self: increase amount of leg strength exercises again, but no walking down stairs. Har. It's weird tho how a slope probably wouldn't have hurt as much as the stair motion did.

As to the Trek movie ... still kinda sinking in. I'll have to think about it. Offhand I'd give it maybe a B rating, which means I didn't love it nor dislike it.

You know there is a formula for making stairs that aren't murder to navigate. I think it's a factor of 1 to 2 vertical incline to horiziontal distance, I'm not an architect. The steps should be just over a foot lengthwise.

My knees hurt when I bike but it's not so bad if I stand up. Turns out you wear off cartillage and it doesn't always come back. Just wonderful.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I just hauled all my 70+ seedlings and young plants from my garden into the garage, its going to be freezing the next few days. FU, bad weather!!  :getlost: 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

What are you growing? A friend of mine plants a garden every year with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc... and always has an overflowing bounty that he cant eat and passes the extras to me.

Come now Gfted don't you think any extra vegetables and fruit should go to Woldens family and friends? Besides how can you guarantee the freshness of the products when they arrive in the USA?

:p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What are you growing? A friend of mine plants a garden every year with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc... and always has an overflowing bounty that he cant eat and passes the extras to me.

My sacred garden is 2000+m² big and this year I'm using it to its full capacity: Zucchini, eggplants, physalis, tomatoes, a ton of potatoes, comfrey, salad, radish, celery, strawberries, wild strawberries, several hedges of raspberries, cape gooseberries, blueberries, plums, apples, normal gooseberries, cherries, a couple of hedges of blackberries, carrots, chili (mild) and peaches. 

But my specialty is the good old and sadly almost forgotten parsnip, parsnip plants are amazing, parsnips are not only tasty they are also completely resistant to pest bugs, absolutely frost resistant - and now the coolest thing: harvest time for parsnips is autumn and WINTER! You can dig them out of the snow and frozen ground and eat them.   :w00t:  Tough bastards! 

Edited by Woldan

Wow, that's an impressive list. Do you do it all by hand? I would imagine a plot that big would require some motorized tiller.

I dug all the plant beds myself with just a shovel and a pick, I don't like using motorized gardening tools. It indeed was really hard work but being a weight training fanatic helped a lot, digging feels like doing barbell rows, preacher biceps curls, shrugs and deadlifts at once. :lol:

*edit* Forgot to mention black currants and some rhubarb, I'm growing those as well.

Edited by Woldan

Mother finally passed away today, after battling cancer for nearly 5 years. I just can't feel sad even though she was the most valuble thing to me in this world. It's because she was suffering every second of every minute in the past few months while we were by her side. She is finally at peace now.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

My condolences.

I too had a family member suffer from a terminal disease for 10 years (heart), watching someone slowly die and fade is horrible and I too didn't feel sad the moment she died. That was no life anymore, just suffering that had finally stopped.

Try to remember all the great moments you had with her and forget the bad ones, don't let misery and suffering be your last memory of a person.

• Like 1

Mother finally passed away today, after battling cancer for nearly 5 years. I just can't feel sad even though she was the most valuble thing to me in this world. It's because she was suffering every second of every minute in the past few months while we were by her side. She is finally at peace now.

My condolences.

I've lost a few family members in the last few months and it made me really sad, but I can't imagine how it feels to lose your mother. When my grandma and grandpa passed away, I was really sad, but they had lived lengthy lives and were suffering their last couple of years. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Astiaks, my thoughts are with you.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I was looking at the Obsidian job listings just for fun. I always do just to see what kind of people they are looking for. For the first time in my life, I was tempted to apply for one of the positions just for fun, but I've never worked with video games and I probably don't have the balls to apply anyway. All I have is ideas, but I've been told that only ideas won't get you long in this industry.  :geek: