What are you playing now?

I haven't been playing any pc games, but I've become pretty good at Remote Juggling.

...at least end of 2013 to end of 2014 should pick things up a bit for me, gaming wise.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Picked up a cheap Kingdoms of Amalur via Amazon , I'll see how much that can distract me over the next week...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Haven't played anything all week, but tempted by gameplay video of Monaco, if anyone has a good word to put in about it. Unfortunately I only generally play my multiplayer games with one other person which I guess would kind of put a crimp on it, but still.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Got myself about 20 shift codes, so my Axton sucks less in TVHM (I always have terrible luck with drops)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So faced the (a?) new dragon type in Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. Took me 20 minutes to beat him. While a lot of the monsters I've seen - like this dragon - feel familiar, there's still some challenge in them; even using the typical dragon tactics the fight was difficult based on how the dragon behaved.

Still haven't figured out the giant Death Ghost thingy, though. Luckily I'm a very mobile character and able to flee well. Sadly a couple of my pawns aren't and got insta-deathed. Oops.

One brand new monster was a minotaur. Faced him in a tower that was 90% narrow stairwell. He kept knocking me down and stomping me. Luckily I'm a high enough character that this doesn't matter much HP wise, but I wasn't doing much damage to him HP wise either. It was like the long 1 on 1 fight sequence between John Wayne and Victor McLaglin in THE QUIET MAN. But with a minotaur and my PC and less Maureen O'Hara.

Killed some corrupted pawns (at least I think that's what they were; I confess they acted weird and seemed to be smoking and so I killed them without really asking.) And some blue harpies. Not sure what they can do because I shot them all in the face rather quickly while one of my pawns remarked "A blue harpy?". Archery FTW!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So faced the (a?) new dragon type in Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. Took me 20 minutes to beat him. While a lot of the monsters I've seen - like this dragon - feel familiar, there's still some challenge in them; even using the typical dragon tactics the fight was difficult based on how the dragon behaved.

Still haven't figured out the giant Death Ghost thingy, though. Luckily I'm a very mobile character and able to flee well. Sadly a couple of my pawns aren't and got insta-deathed. Oops.

One brand new monster was a minotaur. Faced him in a tower that was 90% narrow stairwell. He kept knocking me down and stomping me. Luckily I'm a high enough character that this doesn't matter much HP wise, but I wasn't doing much damage to him HP wise either. It was like the long 1 on 1 fight sequence between John Wayne and Victor McLaglin in THE QUIET MAN. But with a minotaur and my PC and less Maureen O'Hara.

Killed some corrupted pawns (at least I think that's what they were; I confess they acted weird and seemed to be smoking and so I killed them without really asking.) And some blue harpies. Not sure what they can do because I shot them all in the face rather quickly while one of my pawns remarked "A blue harpy?". Archery FTW!

I really have been enjoying DD.  I played it at release till about lvl 36 or so, then life got busy and stopped.  This time around though, I picked a new class and am at about lvl 34 so far and really enjoying it.  Already picked up DD:DA and I'm excited to level up to be able to go to the island to see what's out there.  This, to me, was a really decent game for how much I don't hear about it.  I know it's not the regular western RPG, but it certainly is something fresh.

My character is 169 (only gained two levels on the island so far).  So you could say I really liked the game.  It was easily game of the year for me last year.  Its not perfect, but it is very enjoyable to play, IMO, and a very nice game to replay and just run through doing crazy stuff to see what happens.

Unfortunately I'm offline only, I think I'd enjoy messing with other people's pawns.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hm, and Origin have all the Kingdoms of Amalur dlc at half price at the moment. Decisions, decisions....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hm, and Origin have all the Kingdoms of Amalur dlc at half price at the moment. Decisions, decisions....

If you enjoyed the game enough to consider them they are worth it. If you didn't enoy the game in the first place...

Dead Kel is the better one in my opinion, trying to add some cute side stuff with the stronghold. Nothing groundbreaking but fun distraction. It has some "new" enemies, but they are mostly reskins: a troll made of wood is still a troll even though it isn't made of stone ;)

Teeth of Naros added a new damage type for magic weapons, a couple of new new enemies and again a tight story to play through.

I think both DLC are a great improvement over the writing of the main game.

EDIT:

Forgot what I was going to post in this thread:

Played some more Defiance.

It's not a vast world. It's not a truly diverse world. It's not truly diverse gameplay.

But somehwere in the "not truly anything" I am having fun so far. It helps that its buy to play and I got it at a 30% discount.

There are still bugs and glitches to work out.

The tie in with the TV show is still a bit overhyped. Gosh, the bad guys in the TV series will also be bad guys in the game? Who would have guessed /sarcasm

What I enjoy about it:

I get to speed around on this little quad. Whenever I see npcs in need, be they soldiers surrounded by mutants. People attacked by giant bugs or whatever, I jump off my quad and try to rescue them. I don't always succeed. Unlike Guild Wars 2, where dynamic events, when they scaled for numbers, all enemies still spawn in one spot and are taken out just as quickly in one aoe as a single enemy would, these little events seem to have multiple spawn points. Even though you still get mutant soldiers landing clustered as they jump out of a helicopter, you are also being attacked by the others jumping out of the back of a truck.

Which brings me to the little detail that a lot of npcs don't just spawn in thin air. True: it's wierd exactly how many enemies can fit in the back of a truck, but its a step in the right direction.

Arkfalls happen fairly frequently and gather a crowd. They have tried to make them diverse. There are different enemy groups doing different things during the various arkfall events. Minor arkfalls may be simple kill x waves of enemy y. Major arkfalls have some added thing, like destroying shield generators as they are vulnerable to destroy the main core that spawns killer robots. Simple things, but it means that random groups of people who just apeared in the same spot can actually pull it off without the frustration of some people not knowing what they are doing and thus sabotaging the team.

So bottom line: fun little game. Has potential to be expanded on. Deffinitly not the saviour of gaming.

And for me it scratches an itch that hasn't been scratched since AutoAssault and Tabula Rasa were killed by NCSoft.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Haven't played anything all week, but tempted by gameplay video of Monaco, if anyone has a good word to put in about it. Unfortunately I only generally play my multiplayer games with one other person which I guess would kind of put a crimp on it, but still.

I just picked it up. I'm trying it out tonight. Pick it up from their website if you do: For the same $15 as Steam, you get a Steam code AND a DRM-free copy from Humble Bundle.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Hmm tempted to get Sleeping Dogs from the Square Enix store as they have it 75% off...

Do it, it's a great game.  It was my second favorite game of 2012.

Green Man Gaming has the complete pack 75% off (every DLC included).  There is also a 20% off voucher (GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA) that you may likely be able to apply on top of that (I can't say for sure).  It unlocks on Steam.

I haven't played an MMO in likely over half a decade and I decided that it's probably wrong of me to keep hating on MMOs and shunning them like they're the bubonic plague without having actually played any in such a long time.  I'm not about to pay for one so I decided to give a F2P one a try for kicks.  Loaded up Age of Conan and made a Cimmerian Conqueror.  Played the game for about 2 hours and so far I actually had a bit of fun.  Of course it's at later levels that I'll find out if the game is any good, assuming I stick with it that long.  At least without a subscription I don't feel inclined to spend as much time playing it as possible to get "my money's worth" so I can play it casually, avoid any and all microtransactions, and if I level up slow as molasses, then so be it.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The 20% off does work, but on the other hand at Squeenix's own store you get to pick and choose the DLC or just go for the base game at $7.50. So at $17.50 for everything or $7.50 for just the base game I probably would say the latter makes more sense.

Moot point personally since I've decided against it for now - as someone who thought SR3 was dull and that GTA was terrible, I don't think the game would have done anything to change my mind. Same with Tomb Raider for $20, Borderlands complete for $22, or Total War for $33, Tropico for $8, Gothic for $5. I'm pretty bored but I don't think that any of them, good deals they may be, would help me.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The 20% off does work, but on the other hand at Squeenix's own store you get to pick and choose the DLC or just go for the base game at $7.50. So at $17.50 for everything or $7.50 for just the base game I probably would say the latter makes more sense.

Moot point personally since I've decided against it for now - as someone who thought SR3 was dull and that GTA was terrible, I don't think the game would have done anything to change my mind. Same with Tomb Raider for $20, Borderlands complete for $22, or Total War for $33, Tropico for $8, Gothic for $5. I'm pretty bored but I don't think that any of them, good deals they may be, would help me.

If you thought Saints Row the Third was dull, you might just not be capable of having fun.  

:p

I keed, I keed.  I guess those types of games are just not everybody's cup of tea.  Buying the base game (Sleeping Dogs) is a less "risky" proposition, I guess, but if you're going to eventually get at least all the story DLCs then you'll likely wind up paying $17.50 or close to it anyway.  Either way, I just figured I'd share that alternative deal.  Choice and all that jazz.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I felt there was too little freedom in the story missions, and too little focus in the open-world gameplay. The former being simple canned segments that could have come out of any game, and the latter was all just a bit samey where you could do some activity at any given location and have it be basically the exact same experience as it happening at any other location.

That said, which of the DLCs are actually story DLCs? At the moment I'm taking a crude approximation that the ones over a dollar have some content and the ones under a dollar are just wearable tat.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I felt there was too little freedom in the story missions, and too little focus in the open-world gameplay. The former being simple canned segments that could have come out of any game, and the latter was all just a bit samey where you could do some activity at any given location and have it be basically the exact same experience as it happening at any other location.

That said, which of the DLCs are actually story DLCs? At the moment I'm taking a crude approximation that the ones over a dollar have some content and the ones under a dollar are just wearable tat.

Nightmare at North Point, Zodiac Tournament, Year of the Snake.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I haven't played an MMO in likely over half a decade and I decided that it's probably wrong of me to keep hating on MMOs

Well, if you end up in Champions Online, let me know.

I also have Guild Wars 2, The Secret World and The Old Republic installed, but I forget to log into those.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Felt a little spendy in the end, so I did end up buying Sleeping Dogs from the Squeenix store, just the base game mind, and added the $3 Hitman Blood Money to it for the hell of it. Also bought the Tropico pack from GMG, but no to Tomb Raider (thematically not my thing) and Borderlands (genre not my thing, and I have no friends anyway).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Playing a bit of Witcher 2 arena mode. On Easy, you tend to pretty much demolish everything except clusters of strong monsters. My streak was brought to a halt by a round with 4 werewolves. Didn't have the damage, and those guys catch up to you immediately with their pretty lethal lunge attacks if you try to keep your distance.

At least it increased my high score from 7k to 10k

I haven't played an MMO in likely over half a decade and I decided that it's probably wrong of me to keep hating on MMOs

Well, if you end up in Champions Online, let me know.

I also have Guild Wars 2, The Secret World and The Old Republic installed, but I forget to log into those.

Cool, will do if I wind up there.  Right now, for whatever reason, I'm not in any mood to do anything superhero themed.  I'm in the process of downloading TERA.  I'm a bit turned off by the jRPG style comically gargantuan weapons and ridiculous bikini/carapace and obnoxiously over stylized armors, but I heard TERA actually has a good action/hit detection based active combat system rather than get within 10 yards, stand still, and push keyboard keys, like 95% of MMOs.  The upside to F2P MMOs is that you can try them out for free and there's no pressure to keep playing due to having already paid for a subscription.  If I don't like it I just uninstall it and forget about it, nothing lost besides a couple hours of my time.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸