What are you playing now?

Is Game Dev Tycoon worth a purchase?  Plenty of people playing it but I haven't seen one review!

My comments last page below. It is pretty fun, but it is about as complex as an Android app, which is obvious because they ripped off Game Dev Story almost entirely. 

I'm doing pretty well. I can tell I'll be done with it soon, there's no variation in platform popularity or other such things, and I'm starting to suspect that getting a 'hit' game that suddenly sells 8 times the normal is some kind of scripted affair in getting out of your garage. Haven't explored the endgame as much yet, though. $8 is probably slightly overpriced for this simple job.

I think a much, much, much superior game is Nino Arndt's Gamebiz series. GB3 is ~$15 but GB2 is now freeware and is actually a sort of 'classic' in the series:

http://www.veloci.dk...p?visnu=GB2.htm

Cons: more grindy and the worst UI you've ever seen, though you get used to it quickly. Pros: best game dev simulation out there. 

With all the talk about Game Dev Tycoon.. I went and picked up a copy myself. I made the mistake of doing so around 10pm. And it is an addictive little bastard of a game that doesn't let you see the pc clock and realise just how many hours have rolled on....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm up to level 9 in Neverwinter and having a blast so far.  I'll pay the game the ultimate compliment by saying that it feels more like an aRPG and less like a MMO.  Quests are dressed up enough to not feel completely generic, there are secrets and traps, the combat is fun and engaging.  I'm still way early in the game so there's a definite chance that it could take a major nosedive later on, but so far I'm giving Cryptic a big ol' thumbs up.  This is the most fun I've had in a MMO since...  since...  ... ...  Well, this might just be the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What is your @global Keyrock?

Anyway, been doing PvP in Defiance. I had heard it was skill based. Yeah right... To a large extent it is who's cloaking runs out first and has someone with an orange, fully modded shotgun behind them: one shot - dead.

Guess I'll try to farm the remaining kills I need for the achievement and then ignore it.

Having fun with the group content so far. Nothing challenging, but fun.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

What is your @global Keyrock?

You'll have to translate that into clueless MMO n00b language for me, I have no idea what that means.  Heck, I haven't even figured out how to do emotes in the game yet.  Good gravy, it's been a long time since I've played MMOs.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Cryptic games use yoru account name for your friend list, ignore list etc. It's your global handle. It allows you to 1) have non-unique character names (which is awesome in my opinion) and 2) find people regardless of what character they are on and what game they are on.

So if you wanted to talk to me for example, it doesn't matter which of my 20+ characters I am using at the time, you can simply /t @melkathi, hi and if I am on, I will get the message regardless of what character I am playing and whether I am on Champions Online, Star Trek Online or Neverwinter Online.

The various player made chat channels obviously also span all three games - which can make help channels rather confusing ;)

So if your account for example is keyrock and your character is Murzush, in chat you probably look something on the lines of Murzush@Keyrock. The importnat thing only truly being the @something part.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Cryptic games use yoru account name for your friend list, ignore list etc. It's your global handle. It allows you to 1) have non-unique character names (which is awesome in my opinion) and 2) find people regardless of what character they are on and what game they are on.

So if you wanted to talk to me for example, it doesn't matter which of my 20+ characters I am using at the time, you can simply /t @melkathi, hi and if I am on, I will get the message regardless of what character I am playing and whether I am on Champions Online, Star Trek Online or Neverwinter Online.

The various player made chat channels obviously also span all three games - which can make help channels rather confusing ;)

So if your account for example is keyrock and your character is Murzush, in chat you probably look something on the lines of Murzush@Keyrock. The importnat thing only truly being the @something part.

Gotcha.  My @global is keyrock42, my character's name is Murzush Gro Ruhm (I like having names that actually fit the character rather than something like "AwesomeDude186").

Edit:  If I try to message you and you're not on, will it tell me so, or will the message just go unanswered without any notification to me that you're not on?  Is there a way to "poke" a player or check if they're online?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

send you a friend invite. Just check that ;) It will probably tell you that I am offline or in Millenium City. It can be confusing at times to see people as online but in zones you never heard of because its a different game:)

I'm playing the game of choice : Should i or shouldn't i, give more money to Chris Roberts so they can reach the $10-mio goal and their own mocap studio.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'm up to level 9 in Neverwinter and having a blast so far.  I'll pay the game the ultimate compliment by saying that it feels more like an aRPG and less like a MMO.

To some folks, that's like saying a pizza tastes less like compost and more like cardboard. But hey, glad you're enjoying it. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not a good sign... :disguise:
nw-dlspeed1.jpg

(a while later)

Well at least it's getting faster...
nw-dlspeed2.jpg

( a bit later)

...nope, slowed way down again. Then up. Then down. It's going to be like that, eh.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah it will. Heard that from a few people

As much as I dislike Steam at times, at least they're usually, for me, consistent with their D/L speeds. ;)

15% done! I might get to try the game out before dark.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's at almost 70% now, so no point in starting over...sometimes it has bursts of almost 1500KB/sec. I'm guessing a couple hours total at this rate. *shrug* :)

@LadyCrimson - Download it via torrent, I was getting nearly 500 MB/sec on average.

On your 5Gb/s connection?

Oops, I meant 500 KB/sec.  :blush:

Anyway, level 12 now and in the Tower District fighting orcs.  I kind of wish I could join the orcs and slice up some humans instead.  :p

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Click Neverwinter desktop icon. Launcher window launches. Login.

"You must enable cookies to use this website."

Enable cookies for perfectworld and nw.perfectworld. Nothing. Go to their website, login there, allow all scripts/cookies, turn off browser pop-up blocker in case launcher is considered a browser popup window in some funky way, allow third party cookies, etc. Still says I need browser cookies enabled when I launch/login the launcher window. To play a game. I'm not pleased...is this a browser game? I didn't realize that.

What cookies am I supposed to be allowing? Or am I supposed to be using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, in which case I won't be playing this game?

Finished Game Dev Tycoon.

Final score: 51024138

Click Neverwinter desktop icon. Launcher window launches. Login.

"You must enable cookies to use this website."

Enable cookies for perfectworld and nw.perfectworld. Nothing. Go to their website, login there, allow all scripts/cookies, turn off browser pop-up blocker in case launcher is considered a browser popup window in some funky way, allow third party cookies, etc. Still says I need browser cookies enabled when I launch/login the launcher window. To play a game. I'm not pleased...is this a browser game? I didn't realize that.

What cookies am I supposed to be allowing? Or am I supposed to be using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, in which case I won't be playing this game?

Hmmm. That is strange. No, it is not a browser game. I use modzilla and never had a problem with a cryptic launcher. I think it wants the cookies for the shop/news stuff in the browser window. No idea what's going on there.

Yeah, that is weird.  All I had to do when I first launched the game was a popup came up asking me whether I wanted to allow the program network access, like it does for any new program that wants to connect to the internet.  Once I allowed access everything ran fine.  The browser you use to set up your account should be irrelevant.  Like melkathi wrote, maybe it's something about linking to a browser when you click news links in the launcher window.  I use chrome and have zero problems.

:unsure:

Edit:  Maybe you just caught it at a bad time?  They're doing frequent server work because the game just went open beta.  Maybe something got bamboozled because their login server was acting up or they were performing maintenance?  I don't know, I'm spitballing.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well I tried everything browser cookie related I could think of. Still nothing. :disguise: Tried searching their forums, see nothing similar. Only thing I can think of now is that they don't actually mean cookies...like network/port/firewall access errors or something instead. Not a problem with other online games I've played but y'never know. Bah. Guess I won't be playing, doesn't seem worth figuring it out. :biggrin:

Just for reference, it looks like this when I login to the launcher.

post-11552-0-81655700-1367629825_thumb.jpg

ctrl+F5 in firefox should do a hard refresh for a specific page.

Thing is, she is never in firefox as such. It's the game launcher that is being crappy.