What are you playing now?

I don't really understand such scores as 10/10 or 5/5. It is like "the best we could have". Doesn't it seem to claim "do exactly the same game and do not try anything else, and you will have a 10/10, because it is perfect"?

Perfection does not exist, and even if it is a purpose, it would not have to be reached, because it would have been the end of creativity, and diversity.

Giving such scores are a bit insane, I think.

And a 5/5 or 10/10 generally isn't meant to mean that the game is perfect and that nothing better can be done. The only thing that means is that they gave it the highest score on their scale, contextualized by the time the review is released in.

Don't know. It's sounding less interesting to me with people finishing it too fast ;)

I usually ignore that aspect because 98% of the time, if most say a game is 15-18 hours, to me that means 30-40 (first run), which is fine. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This Bioshock game is the greatest thing known to man or so it seems. Maybe I'll look at the series when they're all $5 or so on a sale or something.

Plodding along in XCOM, not really enjoying it so much as just trying to level up troops in specialties I'm lacking in so I can just be done with this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

More XCOM goodness. I, and some corporal, learned an important lesson last night. That being, do not continue to use a burning vehicle as cover! *BOOM* Im really loving the layers this game presents and the decisions that you have to make. I understand its probably an illusion and that by end game Ill have everything but currently I like having to choose what to prioritize in research and what I should build first wrt my resources.

Just to make sure Im not doing it wrong, what do you do between missions? For example, I get back from a mission and promote everyone and check the progress of various projects but is the only way to advance the game to go to that room that shows the Earth and continuously hit "scan for activity" until something happens? Also, Japan, Australia and India are about to crap themselves with panic, is there some way I can directly go to those areas and complete missions or do I just have to wait until the "scan for activity" gives me a mission there?

Just out of interest, you guys who are playing it without issues, are you using AMD or Nvidia cards?

Also, I'm pretty sure I just got intentionally spoilered in a major way on the Steam forums while checking for fixes, the dickery of some people is agony sometimes  :banghead:

No issues, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti or whatever order those go in, latest drivers, no problems whatsoever.

Also, from Ken Levine on Twitter: "As always, kids, beware of spoilers. This is a game you want to play fresh! Don't let some "friend" ruin your fun. Also, floss daily!"

I've been careful to avoid spoilers but I didn't expect to be searching for technical fixes on a forum where some malicious little bugger put the main plot twist in the title of his post (all caps), I can't help but feel rather bummed out over this game now :(

Just to make sure Im not doing it wrong, what do you do between missions? For example, I get back from a mission and promote everyone and check the progress of various projects but is the only way to advance the game to go to that room that shows the Earth and continuously hit "scan for activity" until something happens? Also, Japan, Australia and India are about to crap themselves with panic, is there some way I can directly go to those areas and complete missions or do I just have to wait until the "scan for activity" gives me a mission there?

When you burn through the cash you want to spend, nothing to do but scan. You can put a satellite above those areas to affect the panic levels, not an immediate fix though. Otherwise I can't see any way to proactively affect the panic levels.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

hmmm already finished Bioshock in two days? I do not think 60 bucks for 2 days of gaming as a good investment, even if it is praised by some...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

hmmm already finished Bioshock in two days? I do not think 60 bucks for 2 days of gaming as a good investment, even if it is praised by some...

That really depends on how many hours were put in over those 2 days.  If the game really is at the 15-20 hour mark, that's a pretty reasonable amount of cost per hour.  

I always use $1 per hour as my mark for value.

If I did that, I'd end up sticking to books and TF2.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I may be walking a complete non-gamer through bioshock infinite on xbox soon. Anything I should know except that it's a standard pretty-&-pretentious story shooter? Any cobtrol/bug quirks?

If I did that, I'd end up sticking to books and TF2.

Steam sales and GoG make it pretty easy for the most part. Or games I know I'll sink a lot of time into due to friends playing, like D3 or BL & BL2.

That really depends on how many hours were put in over those 2 days.  If the game really is at the 15-20 hour mark, that's a pretty reasonable amount of cost per hour.  

Maybe it is strange, but I expect to get at least 30 hours of entertainment for a full price... the price does not matter for me... I am spending currently about 150-200 EUR/month on home entertainment... mostly on Patfhinder RPG products though...

Edited by Mamoulian War

12 +/- hours is standard for an FPS. So it's actually about $5 an hour. And since I preordered on Steam I got XCOM:EU for free along with it. And the original Bioshock and a boatload of TF2 crap. And one of the biggest brain****s in gaming history.

I may be walking a complete non-gamer through bioshock infinite on xbox soon. Anything I should know except that it's a standard pretty-&-pretentious story shooter? Any cobtrol/bug quirks?

It's decidedly non-standard, story-wise, although it's full of gaping holes, but that doesn't change the fact that Levine really outdid himself with this one in terms of crazy plot twists (and it's possible that the DLC they're selling "season passes" for will fill those holes.) I wouldn't know about the ecksbawcks or bugs because I play on PC and had no problems.

Maybe it is strange, but I expect to get at least 30 hours of entertainment for a full price... the price does not matter for me... I am spending currently about 150-200 EUR/month on home entertainment... mostly on Patfhinder RPG products though...

It's strange to expect that from a single-player FPS without replaying the game at least once. The reason you get dozens more hours out of an RPG is because they're slower and thicker. Not always to their credit (a lot of that slowness can be due to padding with fetch quests, collecting x number of y quests, etc., why I still haven't finished chapter 1 of the Witcher, it's just so full of boring MMO quests and even more boring gameplay.) And a tabletop RPG isn't even an acceptable comparison, here. Apples and oranges, and all that. Edited by AGX-17

I completed it in under 9 hours, I did go exploring and found most of the eavesdropper audio recordings, so the game could be I would think 7-10 hours long. The audio recordings are a must, since the characters aren't explored through dialogue or any thing much else for most of the game. The game is pretty poor in that respect, so the main characters suffer.

As my gaming time diminishes, I find hours of play becomes a less important metric.

15 hours of all awesome is better than 30 hours that is 15 hours of awesome and 15 hours of okay, IMO.

Oblivion helped teach me this (which was 0 hours of awesome and like 30 hours of "Meh what am I doing I am wasting my time...")

• Like 1

Just out of interest, you guys who are playing it without issues, are you using AMD or Nvidia cards?

Also, I'm pretty sure I just got intentionally spoilered in a major way on the Steam forums while checking for fixes, the dickery of some people is agony sometimes  :banghead:

No issues, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti or whatever order those go in, latest drivers, no problems whatsoever.

Also, from Ken Levine on Twitter: "As always, kids, beware of spoilers. This is a game you want to play fresh! Don't let some "friend" ruin your fun. Also, floss daily!"

I've been careful to avoid spoilers but I didn't expect to be searching for technical fixes on a forum where some malicious little bugger put the main plot twist in the title of his post (all caps), I can't help but feel rather bummed out over this game now :(

They always do that for every big game and I hate it as well

They always do that for every big game and I hate it as well

Should be a bannable offence *grumble grumble*

That said, this post is titled: "LEIA IS CHEWBACCA'S FATHER!!!"

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's strange to expect that from a single-player FPS without replaying the game at least once. The reason you get dozens more hours out of an RPG is because they're slower and thicker. Not always to their credit (a lot of that slowness can be due to padding with fetch quests, collecting x number of y quests, etc., why I still haven't finished chapter 1 of the Witcher, it's just so full of boring MMO quests and even more boring gameplay.) And a tabletop RPG isn't even an acceptable comparison, here. Apples and oranges, and all that.

Last FPS which I played and really enjoyed was Quake 2, which did have much longer first playthrough than 12 hours, but I still had to play it on hardest difficulty to have some fun... So sorry to expect the same from other similar games... And I was not comparing computer games with tabletop games... I was just simply stating a fact, that because computer games did become short and cheap storywise, I completely changed my focus on home entertainment... Year or two ago my average spending was 250 monthly on computers and 5-10 on tabletop... now it is completely different...

As my gaming time diminishes, I find hours of play becomes a less important metric.

15 hours of all awesome is better than 30 hours that is 15 hours of awesome and 15 hours of okay, IMO.

Oblivion helped teach me this (which was 0 hours of awesome and like 30 hours of "Meh what am I doing I am wasting my time...")

And I always prefer to spend 30 hours of awesome than spending 15 hours of awesome ;)

length is only one element of a game

that said, it's often important, because some games, even if awesome, are not worth $60, because they are too short (though there are examples of very short games that imo were worth $60 anyway -metal gear solid for example, though that game had a ton of replay value so i got far more than a single 6 hour playthrough out of it)

can you imagine the outrage of people paying full price for a movie ticket to see say, The Avengers 2 and the movie only being 16 minutes long?  people would riot.  it's an extreme example, but it merely is to demonstrate the point that length of entertainment is not a trivial attribute

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.