Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Into the Wild

Wow.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just a a personal note on Iron Man 3

Why is it everyone assumes that nearly losing Pepper or something is what caused Tony's PTSD? It's about the fact that he nearly died in the middle of a different dimension that's pushing him into night terrors etc. not somethign that happened in his own movie. It's getting frustrating that people are griping about how artificial the panic attacks feel, when they're probably pretty damn realistic given that he fought an alien invasion and feels he has the entire world on his shoulders.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Just a a personal note on Iron Man 3

Why is it everyone assumes that nearly losing Pepper or something is what caused Tony's PTSD? It's about the fact that he nearly died in the middle of a different dimension that's pushing him into night terrors etc. not somethign that happened in his own movie. It's getting frustrating that people are griping about how artificial the panic attacks feel, when they're probably pretty damn realistic given that he fought an alien invasion and feels he has the entire world on his shoulders.

Because people like complaining.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Because he is suPposed to be a 'super hero'. to people. And, super heroes aren't supposed to get 'panic attacks'... it makes him no better than AJ Quartermaine. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Iron Man 3 was really fun but also really dumb.

Tony has become super paranoid since the events of the Avengers and he's been building Iron Man suits like crazy but he just happens to have ignored the security around his own home? Doesn't he have any surveillance around his house? How the heck did three military attack helicopters just sneak up to his home?

Why didn't Tony focus on fixing Jarvis since Jarvis has the ability to call an army of Iron Man suits?

Why didn't Killian take out Tony's arc reactor and replace it with a car battery when he captured him? In fact, why didn't he have a few of his extremis soldiers guard Tony?

Why did the Iron Man suits go in to punch the Extremis soldiers, allowing the soldiers to melt them down, when they could have just shot them from far away?

Iron Man 3 was really fun but also really dumb.

Tony has become super paranoid since the events of the Avengers and he's been building Iron Man suits like crazy but he just happens to have ignored the security around his own home? Doesn't he have any surveillance around his house? How the heck did three military attack helicopters just sneak up to his home?

Why didn't Tony focus on fixing Jarvis since Jarvis has the ability to call an army of Iron Man suits?

Why didn't Killian take out Tony's arc reactor and replace it with a car battery when he captured him? In fact, why didn't he have a few of his extremis soldiers guard Tony?

Why did the Iron Man suits go in to punch the Extremis soldiers, allowing the soldiers to melt them down, when they could have just shot them from far away?

Well, first off

Tony's not paranoid. His anxiety is making it so he can't sleep, so he tinkers instead. That's why he has so many suits, he spends most of his nights making them. He isn't paranoid about security, just frightened of what is expected of him and of dying during his heroics.

I think they tried to handwave the Jarvis thing by having it be more about recharge time than actual repair work. So he needed to recharge the suit to get Jarvis back online and then he didn't have the proper materials to really repair his current suit, and the house had been wrecked. Until the house was cleared, he couldn't summon any of his other suits.

Don't know about Killian. Seems like he just didn't care about Tony to much, and Tony was only "captured" because the girl wanted it.

Enclosed spaces do not make for good long range engagements.

Although the question is how could Killian make an army that big of ex US soldiers. Most ex soldiers I know wouldn't EVER think about turning on the US like that

Well, first off

Although the question is how could Killian make an army that big of ex US soldiers. Most ex soldiers I know wouldn't EVER think about turning on the US like that

Interesting point of psychology, people are more willing to die for a cause then they are to live on crippled or partially maimed. If you have a bunch of people who have a lot riding on their self-identity as confident, strong, physically capable... and then they get stuck in a position where they're missing limbs or the ability to walk, open a door on their own or such like..  They can become willing to consider things they never would have before.

I remember reading in some biography about an ex-KGB guy years ago, that if he really wanted to get information from someone he wouldn't threaten to kill them. Just shoot them in the elbow and knee joints. He'd paint a picture of them living like that, unable to put on a light switch, feed themselves, go the the toilet, without having someone else doing it for them...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Anyone manage to see the Ant Man test footage when it was leaked a while back? I think Hank needs to show his eyes, but otherwise it was pretty badass.

I liked it.  I never really liked the character, but that was a cool snippet.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm gonna write a whole thread for my review of the Great Gatsby as I plan to use spoils but overall, it was as great as I expected. I do have some complaints though.. the biggest being I wish Luhrman had bigger ballz... That is all. :)

I'm still waiting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyone manage to see the Ant Man test footage when it was leaked a while back? I think Hank needs to show his eyes, but otherwise it was pretty badass.

Earths Mightiest Heroes season one is the best portrayal of Ant Man so far IMO. Him and Hawkeye were my favorite characters in that. Yellowjacket in season 2 just angered me.

I liked it. I never really liked the character, but that was a cool snippet.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I caught a few episodes of EMH out of sequence and thought it was goofy. When I finally found time to go through them all I was thoroughly impressed. Go Ms. Marvel!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

WTF, way to go awesome new quote system.

I was stoked for EMH from the beginning so I was able to watch in order each week. Tiny Ant Man being shot on an arrow by Hawkeye to jump off, grow, and punch Baron Strucker at the last second was awesome. That move alone is reason enough to include Ant Man in an Avengers sequel.

Devastatorsig.jpg

He might make the cut for Avengers 3, if the bottom doesn't fall out for all these comic movies.

People have been talking about people getting sick of comic movies since the 90s. As long as they keep making good ones, people will still see them.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

He might make the cut for Avengers 3, if the bottom doesn't fall out for all these comic movies.

People have been talking about people getting sick of comic movies since the 90s. As long as they keep making good ones, people will still see them.

Eh, I think it's more along the lines of "as long as the Iron Man's out weigh the Green Lanterns".

• Like 1

Just watched John Dies at The End, god help me I really enjoyed it, it's cheap, tacky and cheesy but there's some boldly bat**** crazy stuff going on.

If you enjoyed the movie, I highly recommend the book. The movie is just the first four or so chapters and then skips to the end. The book is simultaneously more insane and in the end makes more sense. It's sequel, "This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It" is slightly less insane but still highly entertaining.

• Like 1

Just watched John Dies at The End, god help me I really enjoyed it, it's cheap, tacky and cheesy but there's some boldly bat**** crazy stuff going on.

If you enjoyed the movie, I highly recommend the book. The movie is just the first four or so chapters and then skips to the end. The book is simultaneously more insane and in the end makes more sense. It's sequel, "This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It" is slightly less insane but still highly entertaining.

Yeah I could tell from the narration that it's based on a book so I'm really keen to check it out, thanks for the info.

Just got back from Trek II

Wrath of Kahn version 2.0. And the Enterpise came off terribly, I don't think it even fired a shot

Spoilers are spoilery as **** so... don't look unless you've seen.

Continuing with movies I should have watched a long time ago but didn't (and might not have appreciated as much then). This week, Jim Jarmusch's Down By Law. Wonderfully moody backdrop that has upped my appreciation of cinematography, complemented by the bluesy soundtrack that was the work of two of the principal actors, Tom Waits and John Lurie. It might have been an oppressive movie nonetheless if not for the entrance of Roberto Benigni who proceeds to turn the picture upside down.

Definitely bumping Mystery Train ahead on the to-watch queue, and hoping for a Blu release of Stranger than Paradise.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I too just watched John Dies at the End and would recommend it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif