Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

Yeah, that video was pretty damn impressive. I didn't even back Wasteland 2, not having played or really even heard much about the original. After seeing that, and the follow up about dialogue, it's easily one of the games I'm most excited for in 2013.

I understand where people are coming from saying that inXile should wait to release W2, but seriously this is a way better pitch even before seeing the actual pitch video. They have a solid team with Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb plus Mark Morgan and artists who worked on P:T. The Numenera setting is fresh and looks pretty fantastic, and it seems like a good fit for a weird story heavy game. The game is supposed to be light on combat, heavy on philosophy, with game mechanics that reinforce the central themes. Any one of those three points would be enough to win my support. All together, it's a no brainer. Now tack on the fact that they are drawing their inspiration from Planescape: Torment and Mask of The Betrayer, and the apparent quality of Wasteland 2 so far, I think that's a pretty darn exciting project. PLUS the fact that if inXile can get Tides funded, they'll have a oldschool hardcore RPG pipeline set to deliver one of these games about once a year. Asking them to wait for W2 is just... Why? They obviously aren't taking the money and running. Worst case scenario we fund a bad game, and that's the same risk with any Kickstarter. At least this one has some concrete indicators that it will rule.

• Like 2

Yeah, that video was pretty damn impressive. I didn't even back Wasteland 2, not having played or really even heard much about the original. After seeing that, and the follow up about dialogue, it's easily one of the games I'm most excited for in 2013.

I understand where people are coming from saying that inXile should wait to release W2, but seriously this is a way better pitch even before seeing the actual pitch video. They have a solid team with Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb plus Mark Morgan and artists who worked on P:T. The Numenera setting is fresh and looks pretty fantastic, and it seems like a good fit for a weird story heavy game. The game is supposed to be light on combat, heavy on philosophy, with game mechanics that reinforce the central themes. Any one of those three points would be enough to win my support. All together, it's a no brainer. Now tack on the fact that they are drawing their inspiration from Planescape: Torment and Mask of The Betrayer, and the apparent quality of Wasteland 2 so far, I think that's a pretty darn exciting project. PLUS the fact that if inXile can get Tides funded, they'll have a oldschool hardcore RPG pipeline set to deliver one of these games about once a year. Asking them to wait for W2 is just... Why? They obviously aren't taking the money and running. Worst case scenario we fund a bad game, and that's the same risk with any Kickstarter. At least this one has some concrete indicators that it will rule.

Well said, thats a good post positioning why we should support Numenera. I find it difficult to fault anything you say :)

@ Gorth

How you sleeping at night? Any guilt ravaged nightmares about not pledging towards Numenera?  After reading the post above you should have some if you don't support this project :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I still don't like the name, but I am going to pledge to this.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I still don't like the name, but I am going to pledge to this.

Good decision Kaine, good decision :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Chris Avellone tells you why you should back this project (starting March 6th):

Thats a good find Key, I hope this puts to rest any objection to supporting this project. I hope Alan and Gorth see this video :)

John Milton 

Shamelessly stolen from the Codex:

There's a long and detailed Torment feature at none other than IGN, in which Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb discuss the game's plot, theme and setting. Here's an excerpt:

A billion years from now, the people of Earth live in the era of the Ninth World, an age built upon the vestiges of eight great civilizations before them. The flickering remnants of each once-great society – ancient nanotechnology, the data-web threading between still orbiting satellites, bioengineered monstrosities, creatures transplanted from distant stars, and myriad strange and wondrous devices – make up what people call Numenera.

Imagine this future humanity with all of its complexities, and among them a powerful man who spent centuries occupying human bodies and “skipping” from one to the next at will. Now imagine what would happen if one of those inhabited bodies was cast aside in this strange and alien Ninth World and suddenly became conscious, having never lived a day of its own?

[...] “Essentially you are waking up, not as somebody who has lived a full life already, but as somebody who has not lived a life at all,” McComb tells IGN. “You are the cast-off shell of somebody who has learned how to skip from body to body over the centuries. This person is escaping a dreadful hunter. He [realizes], “Oh, well, looks like this body’s doomed.” He skips out of it, you fall to earth, you wake up, and you’re not dead. You’re like, “Who the hell am I?”

They also talk a bit about the game's roleplaying mechanics:

Players will build their own character using an adaptation of the Numenera tabletop rules, which include three different class types: the warrior-like Glaive, the wizard-esque Nanos, or hybrid types called Jacks (as in ‘of all trades’). According to the tabletop game, Glaives can come light or heavy depending on your preference between speed and strength. Nanos harness the Numenera to work miracles, which are called Esoteries. Jacks have a lot of tricks that make them good at many things, but masters of none.

There will also be two sets of modifiers: descriptors and focus, which will grant bonuses in a variety of categories. Some descriptors (again, from the tabletop game) are Clever, Tough, Strongwilled or Mystical. Focus varies from crafting illusions to becoming a master of a single weapon.

Saunders explains it like this: “You are this specific character, but we will give you flexibility in terms of what class and descriptors and focus that you have. That will evolve throughout the game.”

Some of you have expressed concern about this Kickstarter's degree of success. Kevin Saunders addresses this:

Judging the potential success of a Planescape: Torment successor in terms of already funded projects like Wasteland 2 and Cook’s Numenera, Torment: Tides of Numenera could see tremendous interest, but the team is ready to scale the final experience to the demand of the audience.

Saunders says, “Definitely, the scope of the game overall will depend on how we fund it. In terms of the overall content, we’ve developed the storyline to be very modular. It can scale well regardless of how much we have to work with. In terms of something like the combat system, I would say that the more funding we have, the more free we would be to venture away from the foundation that Wasteland 2 provides. We’d be more likely to consider adapting the Wasteland systems more closely if we had a lower level of funding than if we did exceptionally well.”

The article also mentions that the game will feature "real time smart combat". I've been informed that this is a misstatement.

UPDATE 2: VentureBeat's Torment newspost doesn't have much information about the game's content. It does, however, contain some hard data about the game's Kickstarter campaign and development plan, straight from the mouth of Brian Fargo himself:

Fargo acknowledges the complexities of the game-development process. He has 10 writers and four artists ready to start work on the new Torment. Once InXile receives funding, the team will go into preproduction for about nine months. Then, the full ensemble will roll off of Wasteland 2 and move to Torment. Kevin Saunders is the project manager on the new Torment.

Fargo said the company is hoping to raise $1 million. He will match every dollar raised above that, up to $2 million, by throwing in another 10 percent. So if the company raises $2 million, Fargo will throw in $100,000 of his own money.

A nine month preproduction phase. That's three months longer than Wasteland 2.

UPDATE 3: In Polygon's Torment post, Colin McComb reveals a bit about the game's "Tides" system:

"The Tides are our version of the alignment system in D&D, which is perhaps the closest parallel," he said. "There are five of them, but they don't oppose each other directly. It's not like good versus evil. There's much more complicated interactions between them."

The Tides system is the developer's way to track the results of player action, which are a de facto demonstration of what's important to them. There is no right or wrong, but rather a series of choices with consequences.

"There are forces you are manipulating here, but it's essentially an external manifestation of the choices you have made," McComb said. "If you've decided that your choice is to become a bloodthirsty butcher, people will react to you that way, and your powers within the game will change as well."

As an example, McComb offered the Passion Tide, which is color-coded red to give it meaning beyond its one-word description.

'When your Passion Tide is strong, it means you're more driven by the things that move you, as opposed to reason or empathy," he said.

They will continue to update that infodump, link here.

The concept / setup sounds perfect to me.

• Like 2

yeah, i want WL 2 to be released first, but i guess i understand why it needs to be this way, so i'll pitch in $30 or so. 

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So the Kickstarter starts Wednesday. Awesome.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Oh noes, Chris said in video "FRANCHISE" in conjunction with Torment... Twice... And Dream have still not posted anything here... Hopefully you are all right and not got heart attack or something...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

the lack of engine info are holding me back.

? They've already said they're using Unity and the tech they've built for Wasteland 2. Some graphical aspects are still to be decided and will depend on the funding, and the combat system isn't settled down because they feel agnostic about it, but we know everything there is to know about the engine powering the game.

a Torment sequel screams to be made in 2D, but that's just my opinion.

Especially considering how gorgeous the Numenera art has been.

Then again they might surprise us and make this beautiful, bizarre 3D environment for us to rest our eyes on

a Torment sequel screams to be made in 2D, but that's just my opinion.

Especially considering how gorgeous the Numenera art has been.

Then again they might surprise us and make this beautiful, bizarre 3D environment for us to rest our eyes on

Precisely, Numenera does have some really lovely, intricate art, maybe they can do this justice in 3D but the poly count would be extreme for a niche game, some examples would be great but I feel way more confident about 2D when it comes to these things.

• Like 1

Oh noes, Chris said in video "FRANCHISE" in conjunction with Torment... Twice... And Dream have still not posted anything here... Hopefully you are all right and not got heart attack or something...

Slow day in the middle of nowhere for you, eh?

Same here. I haven't played anything of Brian Fargos (that I remember) since the original Bards Tale, so if this gets off the ground before I get to play (and determine I'm happy with) Wasteland 2, then it will be a "retail" purchase rather than a pledge.

I'm in kind of the same boat.  I have fundamental reservations about the project, though I also know that part of me will just have to see how it compares (part of my reservation...) to the original.

The unfortunate thing is I have no basis for how expensive these games will be upon release, and if it is the difference between $25 and $40+ I'd likely contribute just to save a bit of money.

I'll have to play the pledge game by ear, however.