Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

He did it for Wasteland 2 as well. (The original pitch was asking for $900k, with Fargo putting in $100k of his own money).

On some fundamental level, any company (especially private) is going to be the result of a non-trivial amount of investment of both money and man hours to be successful, so it's very difficult to quantify that him putting up the $100k is much different than however much money the likes of Feargus and company have invested into Obsidian to found it and keep it afloat.

I also don't expect Fargo's contribution to just be a straight up gift.  I wouldn't be surprised for him to see return on his investment should the game's post release success warrant it (which is a perfectly reasonable and warranted thing for him to do as well).

• Like 2

He did it for Wasteland 2 as well. (The original pitch was asking for $900k, with Fargo putting in $100k of his own money).

On some fundamental level, any company (especially private) is going to be the result of a non-trivial amount of investment of both money and man hours to be successful, so it's very difficult to quantify that him putting up the $100k is much different than however much money the likes of Feargus and company have invested into Obsidian to found it and keep it afloat.

I also don't expect Fargo's contribution to just be a straight up gift.  I wouldn't be surprised for him to see return on his investment should the game's post release success warrant it (which is a perfectly reasonable and warranted thing for him to do as well).

Good points especially around the non-announced financial contributions that people make to keep there companies going.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm in a great mood. Two, three years back I would never have imagined so many great CRPGs coming out :) The last ten years, great CRPGs, or even great games in general, have been very scarce.

I've just had eggs and sausage for breakfast and in addition to my morning cup of coffee I am having a small glass of Marsala wine to celebrate. Cheers, everyone! I wish the best of luck to Obsidian and InXile for developing their own franchises and providing quality games for the rest of the world until the end of time :)

• Like 4

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'm honestly a bigger fan of the aesthetic direction of Numenera. Don't get me wrong, my love of Arcanum (warts and all) will keep me chomping at the bit for Eternity, but the shades of Enki Bilal I'm seeing in the concept art for Torment has me psyched. Backed.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Is Brian Fargo's actual company title "Leader in Exile"? If so, thats awesome.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It was bad timing for an Aussie - launched while I was asleep and by the time I woke up in the morning, all the good early bird tiers were gone. :p

To be honest, I've largely ignored this thread as it seemed mostly about business aspects that I have little interest in, the side effect being I really know little about the proposal in general. Nonetheless my plan was to give it as much time as possible and decide my level of commitment towards the end of the campaign, all the while keeping tabs on both of inXile's project to help determine that.

But then just now one of the $250 slots opened up and my sense of sneaky opportunism kicked in and grabbed it. I feel a little bad about holding onto a tier I might not necessarily *really* want - the source rulebooks feel a bit less of a reward because they'll be something easily purchasable separate from this campaign - but there's not really any "optimal" tier for my intended spend of ~$200.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Like Humanoid above, I woke up to find that the damned thing was almost fully funded and the early tiers mostly gone.

Made a decision to grab that collector's box and lo and behold, I check after work to find that they are all gone as well.

The KS has gone swimmingly and the launch vid was surprisingly insightful (well, when it came to finance and the game industry).

Roll on the Torment KS campaign!

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Spam thread? It was meant to be for fun thumbs up pictures... but what the fsck ever.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Spam thread? It was meant to be for fun thumbs up pictures... but what the fsck ever.

I also didn't think it was spam, but I suppose it was a form of duplication of an active post?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I also didn't think it was spam, but I suppose it was a form of duplication of an active post?

I just opened it for thumbs up pictures. I was actually trying to be polite in that by not coming in here and turning it into photo spam. Oh well...

BTW: Before someone whom doesn't know fsck is a joke gets testy... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Is Brian Fargo's actual company title "Leader in Exile"? If so, thats awesome.

Yes.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/16/whats-in-a-name-inxile-entertainment/

That is awesome indeed.  

Also, they're already smashed through the 1.2 and 1.5 million stretch goals and are up to 1.74 million and climbing rapidly.  This is insane...  Insanely fantastic!

:yes:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It was bad timing for an Aussie - launched while I was asleep and by the time I woke up in the morning, all the good early bird tiers were gone. :p

To be honest, I've largely ignored this thread as it seemed mostly about business aspects that I have little interest in, the side effect being I really know little about the proposal in general. Nonetheless my plan was to give it as much time as possible and decide my level of commitment towards the end of the campaign, all the while keeping tabs on both of inXile's project to help determine that.

But then just now one of the $250 slots opened up and my sense of sneaky opportunism kicked in and grabbed it. I feel a little bad about holding onto a tier I might not necessarily *really* want - the source rulebooks feel a bit less of a reward because they'll be something easily purchasable separate from this campaign - but there's not really any "optimal" tier for my intended spend of ~$200.

Like Humanoid above, I woke up to find that the damned thing was almost fully funded and the early tiers mostly gone.

Made a decision to grab that collector's box and lo and behold, I check after work to find that they are all gone as well.

The KS has gone swimmingly and the launch vid was surprisingly insightful (well, when it came to finance and the game industry).

Roll on the Torment KS campaign!

inXile is looking at adding more tiers - e.g. you now see the $250 tier has been duplicated (albeit at $275). 

$275 is too pricey... Those upwards rotating packages are not a real good idea. People who like to pick say... a collectors edition and then intend to up their pledge near the end of the campaign to prop up stretch goals won't do so. $250 is my maximum for any campaign, and I started with a $110 collectors... Come hell or high water, 50 dollars from a stretch goal, I will not upgrade my pledge to $275.

Edit: The net effect of this tactic of increasing the price of rewards will push away pledges. I suspect that more than one person was priced out of an option and just elected a much lower investment tier on day ONE of the campaign. I'll be interested to see if the effect is a ever increasing slow down in support.

Edited by Luridis

Well at least Notch's self promotion pays off.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think the pace that this took off at exceeded even their most optimistic scenario.  They're going bonkers over at inXile trying to keep up with updating the front page, making new updates, rolling out new stretch goals, and setting up PayPal.  That's a pretty good problem to have.

:brows:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If by "adversarial marketing" you mean the snot-nosed punk "CEO" at the beginning, yeah, that was trite.

I am cautiously optimistic. I pledged less than I did for Eternity, simply because I am not too keen on the chosen setting. However, as long as the story is good (and with M.C. Comb at the wheel, that's a given), I'll be willing to turn a blind eye on the setting.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

If by "adversarial marketing" you mean the snot-nosed punk "CEO" at the beginning, yeah, that was trite.

What struck you as "trite" strikes me as truth.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Haha that part was a bit worthy of an eye roll, but I unfortunately found myself having to stop following Fargo on Twitter.

Much like how I don't care for political smear campaigns (promote yourself, don't attempt to drag the other guy through mud), Fargo had a tweet that just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm fundamentally indifferent towards microtransactions, have liked all the DLC I have ever purchased (Especially Fallout: New Vegas' - I should probably also note that I don't buy many DLC), and like strong single player stories.  So Torment isn't for me?  I can understand calling out that it's difficult to get funding for the game you want to make, and that kickstarter is an exciting way of doing so.  I'd prefer he focus more on that rather than fostering an "us vs. them" environment which is not healthy for the gaming community in general.  There's already enough petty hate because people like and prefer different things, and I'd rather (admittedly naively) not solicit additional hostility in a community that is already infamous for being quite hostile.

Fargo's actions actually have me reconsidering supporting inXile.

• Like 2

Just spotted this during my routine browsing at Formspring.

Q:  if fans rallied for your participation, would you be able to handle being involved in both project eternity and tides of numenera?

Ziets:  I couldn’t work full-time on both PE and Torment, but one option is doing some area design on Torment, much as Avellone did on Wasteland 2.

:shifty:
  • Like 1