Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

Won't be pledging as I have mixed feelings about this one even after the Wasteland2 updates.

On one side I dislike the Torment name on a spiritual sequal, on the other hand, it wouldn't have gotten this much cash without it.

My faith in InXile is also low compared to (for example :p) Obsidian!

I would've liked it if they kept Torment as a project name, with final game naming to be decided at a later time.

No use crying over spilt milk however, Brian's "cash grab" is working and in the end:

The more ©RPGs, the better!

I do hope Obsidian and InXile remain on good terms with each other.

It's all fun and games until they start to steal each others employees.

Hopefully they have a gentlemen's agreement in place.

I still see Kickstarter as a method for developers to have a chance at being able to fund/create games that otherwise (in today's business model) would likely never get off the ground. That is, not as a replacement for current "traditional" big business methods/games/budgets but as a needed and much appreciated addition/option. Probably not the best analogy, but to me it's like smaller local grocery markets vs. Safeway.

And I think it'll fill that role quite nicely. Assuming the games end up being decent enough to keep motivating, and assuming that niche audience doesn't run out of cash to toss at projects, if vaunted projects start to increase in frequency. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On a (somewhat) related note, Shadowrun Returns alpha (sic!) footage has been released :

Wow.

That looks so ***ing amazing. I'm pissed for missing out its kickstarter.

Day 1 purchase for sure.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 2

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'd argue the opposite - Kickstarter, in my opinion, has proven that the supposedly niche market is quite a bit larger than previously presumed (or that it even exists!). 

Keep in mind that the focus here isn't the profit - it's the product (it's the other way around for the publishers).

How large was it presumed to be?  It's a myth that big publishers assume there's no market for games like these. 

I suppose it also helps to define "niche."  80 thousand people is niche to me, and none of the RPG kickstarters have even broached that number.  It's also important to consider that people that contribute to one may also contribute to another (I'd consider the level of overlap to actually be very high, but have no data to support that position).

Another fact about kickstarter is that, like free to play games, big fish carry the little fish.  The average for Torment 2 right now is $55 per person.  The median contribution is $25 (the median for Project Eternity is also $25).

In order to ramp up to exponential values, you're going to need to ramp up the number of contributors exponentially too.  I'm skeptical that that will happen.  I feel most consumers for these games will continue to be traditional consumers (paying for a product once it's released).

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

I'm a bit kickstarted out right now, so I will probably pass on this.  Plus I agree with a few of the sentiments about InXile, I'm not sold on them being a great developer.  

I still haven't played Planescape (the original CD is in a box in a closet somewhere) so my interest in funding is low ... especially when they obviously don't need my $25 at this point.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'd argue the opposite - Kickstarter, in my opinion, has proven that the supposedly niche market is quite a bit larger than previously presumed (or that it even exists!). 

Keep in mind that the focus here isn't the profit - it's the product (it's the other way around for the publishers).

How large was it presumed to be?  It's a myth that big publishers assume there's no market for games like these. 

I suppose it also helps to define "niche."  80 thousand people is niche to me, and none of the RPG kickstarters have even broached that number.  It's also important to consider that people that contribute to one may also contribute to another (I'd consider the level of overlap to actually be very high, but have no data to support that position).

Another fact about kickstarter is that, like free to play games, big fish carry the little fish.  The average for Torment 2 right now is $55 per person.  The median contribution is $25 (the median for Project Eternity is also $25).

In order to ramp up to exponential values, you're going to need to ramp up the number of contributors exponentially too.  I'm skeptical that that will happen.  I feel most consumers for these games will continue to be traditional consumers (paying for a product once it's released).

Those pledging on Kickstarter is always going to be a smaller, activist crowd. When these Kickstarted games start showing up on Steam, GamersGate, et.c., that's when we will see the real sales.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Speaking of more cRPGs, don't let your post-Numenera rush let you miss this:

Lord British is kickstarting Shroud of the Avatar

Apparently an MMO.

Not interested.

There's supposed to be a single player offline mode as well.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Day 1 purchase for sure.

Its not too late:

I just pre-ordered Shadowrun the other day. It's still $15.

You can still get in on Shadowrun even though the KS is over? Link please. I should have backed this from the beginning.

Here you go.

Day 1 purchase for sure.

Its not too late:

I just pre-ordered Shadowrun the other day. It's still $15.

You can still get in on Shadowrun even though the KS is over? Link please. I should have backed this from the beginning.

Here you go.

Yeah, I'm considering it. I'm generally not in favor of preorders though (old fashioned, pay and recieve at the spot).

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Yeah, I'm considering it. I'm generally not in favor of preorders though (old fashioned, pay and recieve at the spot).

I totally understand. I already regret paying on a different KS but this one has me pretty excited. I wish they offered a tier that was the main game and DLC only instead of having to jump up to the CE to get the DLC.

I totally understand. I already regret paying on a different KS but this one has me pretty excited. I wish they offered a tier that was the main game and DLC only instead of having to jump up to the CE to get the DLC.

I'm pretty stoked too. This was a very surprising turn of events as I wasn't originally interested enough to even pledge, but I'll, now, happily provide them a bit more revenue from buying the DLC (and the game itself, of course) separately if it means more stuff that looks (and hopefully feels) this good.

I don't mind this. It lets me take a look at the game before deciding to drop the cash on the DLC. How much more could that cost anyways?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I don't mind this. It lets me take a look at the game before deciding to drop the cash on the DLC. How much more could that cost anyways?
To buy it now its a $60 increase to go from Basic ($15) to CE ($75) but of course you get other stuff with the CE. Im not interested in soundtracks, anthologies, thumb drives or good will so all that is wasted on me. Obviously the DLC wont be $60 bucks all by itself so Ill just have to wait and buy it retail whenever it comes out.

To buy it now its a $60 increase to go from Basic ($15) to CE ($75) but of course you get other stuff with the CE. Im not interested in soundtracks, anthologies, thumb drives or good will so all that is wasted on me. Obviously the DLC wont be $60 bucks all by itself so Ill just have to wait and buy it retail whenever it comes out.

Oh, I'm not going for the CE. I'll buy the deluxe edition game at release (35), unless I get around my principles and preorder it, and the DLC later - if I deem it worth it - at what ever price which won't be the same as the core game retail price. It won't bankrupt me. And on that note, I hate the whole concept of DLC, but I'm willing make few exceptions with titles I really, really like (which TSRR seems like right now).

Whoopsie... didn't see that "babaganooshie13" quote there for some reason. My bad. I thought the response sounded a bit weird... :lol:

Edited by Undecaf

On a (somewhat) related note, Shadowrun Returns alpha (sic!) footage has been released :

Wow.

39543-Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Old, but could not resist :p

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Yeah, that looks really good. I'm going to have a closer look tonight then pre-order if I still like. 

So.... poor...

How large was it presumed to be?  It's a myth that big publishers assume there's no market for games like these. 

I suppose it also helps to define "niche."  80 thousand people is niche to me, and none of the RPG kickstarters have even broached that number.  It's also important to consider that people that contribute to one may also contribute to another (I'd consider the level of overlap to actually be very high, but have no data to support that position).

Another fact about kickstarter is that, like free to play games, big fish carry the little fish.  The average for Torment 2 right now is $55 per person.  The median contribution is $25 (the median for Project Eternity is also $25).

Kickstarter is, as I've mentioned, a fairly novel concept (one that hasn't really taken root just yet, in the manner of speaking); even so the various cRPG projects (W2, PE, T:ToN, SR etc.) are among the most popular. Only a small portion of consumers are willing to participate in crowdfunding at this time (for a myriad of reasons, to be fair); in that light, I believe that 80 thousand people are quite significant.

I don't think any of the titles I have mentioned would have been released under the traditional publisher model; hence the constatation that the so called big publishers assume there's no market (or that it's so small it's not worth the effort) for them. 

But to be fair, this conversation isn't getting us anywhere - you're skeptical and I'm optimistic; I'm afraid that's all we'll ever get out of this. 

We'll know more as the big projects are released; sale numbers will allow us to make more accurate assessments.

But to be fair, this conversation isn't getting us anywhere - you're skeptical and I'm optimistic; I'm afraid that's all we'll ever get out of this. 

We'll know more as the big projects are released; sale numbers will allow us to make more accurate assessments.

Reply here.

I've been waiting for the option to upgrade my Shadowrun Returns pledge, from $60 to at the very least up to the $125 tier, but would rather do it via formal process rather than just emailing them. Given it's looking rather good, I might go even higher....

As for Garriott's Kickstarter - well at this point I'm admitting when it comes to LB, I probably toss any sense of rationality out the door: sure he's a mega rich space tourist, but I feel as if I owe a huge chunk of my existence as a gamer to him, so I'm in no matter what.

On another level, I also appreciate the effort to bring back the MMO genre back into the direction UO was originally heading in, before EQ and then WoW kind of hijacked it. I've always wanted to be ....a lumberjack!

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Pledge Gorth, pledge. Its the right thing to do :)

Sorry. not this time :(

I still regret not pledging for the Shadowrun game, but I honestly forgot that one when it was getting close to its Kickstarter deadline. This one however, I'm very skeptical about the entire concept. I see nothing so far that screams to me "I must have this game!". So I'll wait and see what my Wasteland 2 pledge results in and then judge inxile on those merits :)

Have you seen the video they released for WL2?!

I had my doubts but come on - that's just awesome. I'm afraid we're going to have to see a pledge from you, Gorth, there's really nothing I can do.

that looks incredibly beautiful and impressive. Did you notice how one ceiling fan was spinning faster than the other? that's attention to detail! how could I have missed this!?

I mean I heard some reference to Wasteland 2, but I dismissed it as an older game which I just never played.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.