Gorth

That wedding sounds complicated in planning, but definitely a fun time. :)

.....it's paper wasp killing time. I might leave them alone in some cases, but I like to be able to enjoy a sandwich outside without wasps landing on both sandwich and also trying to take nibbles out of my skin every 5 seconds.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Looking to go back to school

It's been a while and I'll probably have to do it part time but it's something I've always wanted to go back and finish

Nice one, good to hear you want to complete it :)

Thanks!

I took a few classes when I was in the military and a few more since I've been out (going on 5 years now)) but it's been about 3 years since the last one and I want to finally get it over with. You can't strip forever, right?

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I bought a new laptop today, I'd been saving for it for months. it'll arrive sometime this week, and I'll spend all day trying to fix windows 8, no doubt.

I am in such a good mood. I've been looking forward to this for ages.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I bought a new laptop today, I'd been saving for it for months. it'll arrive sometime this week, and I'll spend all day trying to fix windows 8, no doubt.

The thought of dealing with Windows 8 should never put you in a good mood. It says so many, many things about the state of your mental health....  :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I bought a new laptop today,...

What made you choose a laptop over a desktop? They're always 40-50% more expensive for the same performance and capability.

What'd you purchase, by the way?

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

The thought of dealing with Windows 8 should never put you in a good mood. It says so many, many things about the state of your mental health....  :shifty:

It wouldnt mind trying it out with one of those laptops where the display detaches and you can use it like a tablet.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that part. It's just good to finally not be dependent on someone else's computer anymore.

As for why I prefer laptops over desktops: the mobility. Just being able to put it in a backpack and take it with me, I don;t even care if it's heavy. I used to have a toshiba weighing about 10 pounds without the laptop bag, it's still fantastic to go everywhere with it. (and it's carry on luggage, should you travel by plane)

I have a desktop, an alienware, back from the days I still was flush. I paid top dollar for it, and it's a crashing piece of ****. never buy alienware, overpriced, hostile customer service, hostile business practices, faulty products. Eventually I'll go for a desktop again. But since I don't really tinker with hardware ('fraid I'd mess it up) laptops just work for me. I also much prefer the soft keyboards laptops have. I'm well aware I'd get more power in a Desktop, but I was never going to get what I wanted anyway (best of the best of the best, sir!) and since I'm living with my mother I don't actually have the space for one. (otherwise that crappy alienware would probably disgrace a desk somewhere)

I bought a desktop replacement laptop, so it'll last me a few years. My Toshiba lasted 8, this one cost about a third of that. It's an Acer, which irks me, but I had to compromise.

+128GB SSD, 2GB VRAM NVIDIA 1900x1080 screen resolution, 8GB RAM(expandable to 16)

-5400RPM HD, windows 8, plastic casing, likely heat problems during extended play.(according to one review)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't know but as someone who works in the industry I think that Windows 8 is a solid and stable OS, like Windows 7. Now Vista was problematic. We have customers who have deployed Windows 8 to all there users (20k + users) and there have been very few issues. So I'm sure you'll be fine :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know but as someone who works in the industry I think that Windows 8 is a solid and stable OS, like Windows 7. Now Vista was problematic. We have customers who have deployed Windows 8 to all there users (20k + users) and there have been very few issues. So I'm sure you'll be fine :)

post-18413-0-17968100-1363149387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 2

attachicon.gif697221235axzral.jpg

:grin: Thats funny and relevant

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Incredibly lazy morning. I think the -18c that's supposed to be outside has something to do with it...

Hi Nep :)

Holy smoke thats cold !!!

What do Finnish people do in that type of cold? Do they stay indoors after work or do they go to Gym and maybe hit restaurants in the evening?

Pretty much life as usual. This is still well within normal winter temperatures. I think I got a mild case of food poisoning. :p

When it starts getting below -25, life starts to suck. Snot freezes in your nostrils.

First time I've heard someone attempt to use "manly" and "Stockholm" in the same sentence!

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah I was snickering at that remark too, Stockholm's like the capital of metereosexual, politcal corect niceness of Scandinavia.

But boys they do have some stunning blond ladies. Last year I went to this music\dance festival in Belgium called Tomorrowland. We ended up meeting and partying with loads of really great people, but the Swedish girls were up there as some of the most attractive and  friendliest of everyone we met .

John Milton 

Had some really weird dreams about getting into some really deep conversations with people I didn't know, woke incredibly early to a stinking headache, so kind of lolled around in bed for a few hours, which actually has had it mostly pass.

Of course, now my help has been requested, so I'm going to be spending a few hours this afternoon helping build and coat a shed at the place my friend and his bride will be moving into when they get back from the wedding. At least there's no snow, and the wind has died down mostly today.

Yeah I was snickering at that remark too, Stockholm's like the capital of metereosexual, politcal corect niceness of Scandinavia.

But boys they do have some stunning blond ladies. Last year I went to this music\dance festival in Belgium called Tomorrowland. We ended up meeting and partying with loads of really great people, but the Swedish girls were up there as some of the most attractive and  friendliest of everyone we met .

If I had to be objective I'd say the Norwegian ladies are the prettiest in Scandinavia and the Swedish men are the most attractive. While Denmark is where the fun is at. :)

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

If I had to be objective I'd say the Norwegian ladies are the prettiest in Scandinavia and the Swedish men are the most attractive. While Denmark is where the fun is at. :)

And where does Finland fit in, are they not considered Scandinavian? Do you guys share cultural similarities with Finns or not really?

John Milton 

As a sidenote, I've been running a pc with Windows Vista Ultimate for.. 5/6 years now? And I have to say, I haven't had any grief out of it. Compared to '95 , '98, or ME... It's been smooth sailing.

My father went to WIndows 7 and has has lots of issues (although it's mostly settled now), and my sister's new laptop has Windows 8 and that is just..ick to deal with.

Vista certainly hasn't been smooth sailing for me. Windows 7 fixed a lot of those problems.

---

And where does Finland fit in, are they not considered Scandinavian? Do you guys share cultural similarities with Finns or not really?

Stricly speaking Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. Finns have different cultural background from the other nordic countries, but being neighbors for a long time has had it effects.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Stricly speaking Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. Finns have different cultural background from the other nordic countries, but being neighbors for a long time has had it effects.

Okay thx. I figured you guys must have certain similar cultural traits.

John Milton 

"Suomi on Ruotsalainen!" :p

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just to clarify. There's an ongoing series of a documentary in Finland that is called "Finland is Swedish", which describe how swedish finnish culture really is. Everything from rule of law, cuisine and general moral attitude comes pretty much from the old Swedish empire.

For example: from the 12th century to 1812, Finland as we know today was a part of Sweden. There was no "Finland" per see, but rather the regions like Karelia, Birkaland(pirkkamaa?) and Ostrobothnia.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy