Gorth

Realizing the only thing right now keeping me from finding a reasonably sure fire way to kill myself... is the fact that when I get this way I deliberately tank myself in alcohol

>Just had another conversation with the parents about schooling.

One minute it's "Horray! You can get into classes"

The next it sounds like "We're pretty sure you're gonna fail again, so if you do, we're not even going to think of supporting your educational endeavors for the 2 years/18 months after you fail. Oh, and we're probably not going to fully support you as you try to get back into school!

"

Calax, I'd like to try and help you but I don't know all the details. What program are you in, currently?

What I can say, is that I know many students who have had their degrees interrupted. In fact, the average length of time to receive a degree at my university is 6 years...while the "expected" time is 4 years. In fact, the maximum time to receive a degree is 25 years.

And I completely sympathize with you and your home situation. For what it's worth, you aren't the first student to lack academic support from home, and I know firsthand how that feels.

This is technically year 8(ish) of my schooling... well six of actual educational sorts of things. I'm in the History program at my school, which doesn't like it's history department.

You have keep at it Calax, even if it's not full time. Believe me, life with your degree is much easier than life without it even if you don't end up using it. It took me ten years to finish mine. I worked on all through my 20's because I was either in the military or working full time but sticking with it was very much worth it in the end.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got home from a long... very long road trip last night. I learned two things on this trip. 1) Driving is a lot faster and less hassle than flying if you can drive to your destination in 8 hours or less. 2) Buy the expensive scotch, it just tastes better!

One highlight to tell you guys about though, I went on a little weekend vacation to Vegas. The project manager of our client company had two field passes to the USA Rugby Sevens tournament in Vegas. He couldn't make it so he sold them me and one of my partners for half of face. What a blast that was! South Africa and NZ ended up in the finals but isn't that true of ANY rugby finals? The cool part was hanging out with Sean Duke from team Canada at New York New York. Scott knew him somehow, I never did hear that story. Rugby players definitely get the girls. If I was 20 years younger... Then after the finals we hooked up with some of the folks we met at the matches and split a 12 year old bottle of Balvine Doublewood single malt over at the Stratosphere rooftop lounge. I had a laugh thinking I'd like to see Mr. House while I was there. Nobody got the reference though.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got home from a long... very long road trip last night. I learned two things on this trip. 1) Driving is a lot faster and less hassle than flying if you can drive to your destination in 8 hours or less. 2) Buy the expensive scotch, it just tastes better!

One highlight to tell you guys about though, I went on a little weekend vacation to Vegas. The project manager of our client company had two field passes to the USA Rugby Sevens tournament in Vegas. He couldn't make it so he sold them me and one of my partners for half of face. What a blast that was! South Africa and NZ ended up in the finals but isn't that true of ANY rugby finals? The cool part was hanging out with Sean Duke from team Canada at New York New York. Scott knew him somehow, I never did hear that story. Rugby players definitely get the girls. If I was 20 years younger... Then after the finals we hooked up with some of the folks we met at the matches and split a 12 year old bottle of Balvine Doublewood single malt over at the Stratosphere rooftop lounge. I had a laugh thinking I'd like to see Mr. House while I was there. Nobody got the reference though.

Welcome back GB :)

We missed you, I'm glad you enjoyed the rugby. We are passionate about the game. There is nothing better than watching the rugby and having a braai(barbeque) and a few drinks.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hate to tell you this Bruce but I was cheering for the All Blacks. It wasn't a close game though. Your boys dominated.

Thomas Sowell

Awesome GD.  I'm heading to Vegas in a few weeks for a hockey tournament, and I'm super excited.

Have fun. That is one of the best cities in the world!

Thomas Sowell

Awesome GD.  I'm heading to Vegas in a few weeks for a hockey tournament, and I'm super excited.

leave the credit card at home :p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Game, pizza, game, now Walking Dead.

Also, in that computer phase of "Should really reformat HDD and reinstall Windows...but really don't want to," syndrome.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well was one of those nights where I wasn't getting to sleep, so I made the mistake of thinking to read a couple of chapters and then plan on attempting sleep again.

Enter finishing the book and realising it had gone past 5am...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well was one of those nights where I wasn't getting to sleep, so I made the mistake of thinking to read a couple of chapters and then plan on attempting sleep again.

What book are you reading that captivated you so much?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A slightly whimsical semi-steampunk/alternate history style novel called "Etiquette and Espionage".

In early Victorian England (in a world with steampunk and vampires and werewolves involved in politics), a young girl with a certain tomboy flair is sent off to finishing school. Only to find said school is a caterpillar-like dirigible, and the finishing school includes lessons on; poisoning, intelligence gathering, knife work, how to faint in a manner to attract a target's attention at a ball and no-one elses, how to manage the house-hold accounts so you can order the steak and the strychnine on a low budget, and other such assorted things alongside the more normal posture, dance, history, fashion and culture.

"At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but the also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage--in the politest possible ways, of course."

• Like 1

A slightly whimsical semi-steampunk/alternate history style novel called "Etiquette and Espionage".

In early Victorian England (in a world with steampunk and vampires and werewolves involved in politics), a young girl with a certain tomboy flair is sent off to finishing school. Only to find said school is a caterpillar-like dirigible, and the finishing school includes lessons on; poisoning, intelligence gathering, knife work, how to faint in a manner to attract a target's attention at a ball and no-one elses, how to manage the house-hold accounts so you can order the steak and the strychnine on a low budget, and other such assorted things alongside the more normal posture, dance, history, fashion and culture.

"At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but the also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage--in the politest possible ways, of course."

Sounds good, its my type of read.

I'll look it up :)

John Milton 

Staying up to 0300 playing Civ 4 was a bad idea, have the day off but it's messed up my sleep routine. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had a follow on night of bad sleep. By bad, I mean I didn't really fall to sleep until around 5am ish. I am now walking around in semi-zombie mode and still drinking from morning tea...

Sister-in-law's husband's mother passed, so they're down here for the funeral and came by for a few hours yesterday. Haven't seen their oldest daughter in years (since before she got married I think) ... but because the reason she came along to our house w/her parents instead of going to the movies with the other two kids was "Another Die Hard sequel isn't her kind of movie," I liked her immediately. ;)

Anyway, always nice to see the sis-in-law, even under less than happy circumstances. Probably won't see them again until summer or next Xmas. Really is too bad they had to move away up north (job related). They miss the Bay Area a lot, but such is life.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Getting ready to watch my team destroy Bayern Munich. Hahaha.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why ? It's 1-2, Arsenal has them right where they want them! :p

I wonder why Rugby is not more popular in the US?

Thomas Sowell

Until we forget how to defend, again. 1-3 and tie over.

Could argue they never knew how to do this in the first place. So much for Steve Bould :lol: