Gorth

Sorting out my new computer slowly. I think it's been overheating but I'm not sure.

I didn't know how to figure out how to change the fans, so I installed "Speedfan" and set it so that it'll automatically configure my fans for me, but I don't know like ANY variables here.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Use a temperature monitoring program -  I use Open Hardware Monitor, but I'm sure there are others, that'll at least help you check the temperatures.  Dust out your heatsink and fans as well.  Hm, I need to do that, rather annoying how much dust ends up in my room.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Use a temperature monitoring program -  I use Open Hardware Monitor, but I'm sure there are others, that'll at least help you check the temperatures.  Dust out your heatsink and fans as well.  Hm, I need to do that, rather annoying how much dust ends up in my room.

Speedfan has that built in, I just don't know the temps I should have it at so I just left it at default (and raised the gpu a bit for temp)

Post your temperatures ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm with AGX in that I reserve the right not to bother even trying to understand why people would pay big bucks for conceptual weirdness. I do think it's pretty damn impressive to be able to pull off a career doing it. They are like the ultimate ballsiest con artists in the universe. The thin red line between something that anyone could do and genius. Now that's the really interesting thing.

We're not meant to be able to understand it, if we did then the spell would wear off.

It's a CIA plot.  No, really.

They may have been encouraging it, but that doesn't mean the CIA invented modern art. I've had the fortune to have a father who was a big deal in the Earopean modern art movement, and while I don't like modern art, I've learned to appreciate it. Perhaps the abstract nature of much of modern art works as a Rorschach of emotional response (what you put in is what you get out of it) But I certainly see artistry. Maybe it's the Western world finally getting some Eastern philosophy. If looking at it engages the brain, our curiosity, our desire for meaning, then it's doing it's job.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The lack of anything interesting to watch on 800+ channels of TV and a couple of mostly-sunny days is making me long for baseball season. At least Walking Dead starts up again soon. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The lack of anything interesting to watch on 800+ channels of TV and a couple of mostly-sunny days is making me long for baseball season. At least Walking Dead starts up again soon.

this is why I don't have a tv

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Right now the comp is running about 40-50C for hte cores, 50-65C in the GPU and the three case temps are fairly low. Although I am airing out my room a bit with 30F degree weather outside.

My room basically has no air movement in it because of the fact it's an addition to the apt. It's the warmest in our apartment and doesn't really have any way to get air back to my computer so the place just starts to heat up.

Slow ass day at work because of ice on the ground. Most of it was gone by 2 but nobody went out so we basiucally spent all days finding ways to yell at people to do work.

I did get a laugh when the 15 y/o showed up having been spraytanned orange.

Edited by Calax

Going slightly mad, having been stuck inside for 72 hours. Just not my cup of tea :w00t:

Looks like "Oswald" is finally heading south and started pestering the people down in NSW instead. Good riddance to it too, ruining my long weekend (not to mention a lot of peoples lives, if not outright killing them). Some of the guys inland got a staggering 700+ millimeter of rain overnight. That's a lot of water. Small wonder some of the rivers are almost 10 meters above normal levels.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Going slightly mad, having been stuck inside for 72 hours. Just not my cup of tea :w00t:

Looks like "Oswald" is finally heading south and started pestering the people down in NSW instead. Good riddance to it too, ruining my long weekend (not to mention a lot of peoples lives, if not outright killing them). Some of the guys inland got a staggering 700+ millimeter of rain overnight. That's a lot of water. Small wonder some of the rivers are almost 10 meters above normal levels.

That would be, what 70 meters, of snow? :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That would be, what 70 meters, of snow? :p

On the open ended Suomi Snow Scale, probably :p

it's a lot of water though. Poor suckers up there got badly inundated two years ago and now everything washes away again, like homes, roads, power lines, people etc. The measly 150 mm we got during the night in my neighbourhood was just a slight drizzle. It still looks like an exploded toilet though, with all the dead branches, leaves and mud that the wind decided to throw at my place.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just had this vague recollection that 10mm of rain equals a meter of snow or something like that. Has to be wrong, though, but... :D

Edited by Nepenthe

I think it's a 10 to 1 (approx, depending on snow density), so it's about 7 meters of snow overnight :)

I think it's a 10 to 1 (approx, depending on snow density), so it's about 7 meters of snow overnight :)

As my future boss told me, "we employ a secretary so that the calculations are correct." :p

• Like 1

I spent the better part of the last 2 days trying to fix a computer issue. Explorer started using up all my CPU in folders with corrupted files, I was unable to delete them. I was unable to turn off indexing, windows search...

eventually I was saved by a random person on the internet, advised me to download a different computer browser program, delete the offending files there, and then try again.

it worked.

Thank you "Ebecks"! whomever you are, you are my hero.

• Like 1

---

Every now and again Windows Explorer throws a corruption that causes it to utilise ridiculous amounts of the CPU. One of the easiest fixes is to transfer things out of that profile you want to keep, delete the profile, then create a new one. And it'll all be fine again.  One of the many weirdness things of Microsoft Windows...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

If only I could get Columbo to narrate it :)

I have a kindle fire, and there are a few of these choose your own adventure type games on it, but it seems like more can be done with the genre.  It really could play more like a pen and paper game, with stats and dice rolls to determine outcomes.  I also think there has to be a way to make it more of a social experience.  Something like how words with friends allows you to make moves with a group of people.

Eh, just a musing.  I'd need a real programmer to do much more than that.  

• Like 2

Ah, I assumed he meant IE.

I'm taking care of my daughter who has the flu, and contemplating writing one of those choose your own adventure novel games.

I grew up on those, I remember the first time I picked one up with the red binding. I couldn't believe that their existed books where you could chose your own story. I then moved on to  the famous Fighting Fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston. Who remembers "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain"

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela