Gorth

Well, barring injury, they can manage their coats and chairs without difficulty :p.  Doors though, good rule is just to hold for the person following always, did have a funny moment doing that for the lady following me in but was an automatic door so in the end my doing that was useless (first time it's triggered though, I guess it had to pass a certain degree for the automatic opener to kick in.).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bring flowers.  If you are in phone contact with her, find out what her favorite color is and bring flowers in that shade.  It is seriously the most important part of the date.  Also holding open doors and all that stuff Raithe said is great too.

But seriously, bring the dang flowers.

On which note, be careful of the choice of flowers. I've met a few girls who really didn't like roses or the idea of roses as some romantic gesture. So going with certain other types can work better before you find out how they feel on the matter...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You guys should give disclaimers, if things go wrong he'll be back to blame you lot!

And just won $10, we were taking bets on how late a coworker would be, +/- 2 minutes and I was spot on, huzzah, time to get a new pen.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Make sure wherever you take her is somewhere you can actually talk without having to scream over background noise... The theatre can work, but doesn't provide huge amounts of room for talking during whatever show is on, and likewise dancing tends to have lots of background noise (especially depending on what type of dancing and where you go). You need some place you can converse, and see what connections you can make and just what interests you all might have.

That and be calm and confident.

Heh, I remember hearing a thing about how beautiful women actually don't get hit on sensibly a lot because most guys will feel they are "out of their league" and as such don't bother. So when someone does, if they're half-way charming they're already ahead of the game...

Yeah and no. In my experience beautiful women get hit on so much that with them, the ridiculous advice of "just be yourself" is actually sound. Most beautiful women could have whoever they want, so the best thing to do really is be relaxed and yourself and accept the fact that she will either choose you or somebody else; there is very little you can do.

I know a lot more people who'll just approach amazing-looking women since the cost/benefit ratio is so good. Could be cultural differences, could be me knowing too many arrogant **** and economists. :p

Raithe: one-upping your friends that way is a quick route into finding that you are no longer invited. ;) I know I get left out a lot, and have to tone it down myself.

Of course, cultural differences, again. Most women my age around here will get into a feminist tizzy over "old-fashioned manners", so helping a girl put her coat on is one of my key tests in whether I should spend more time with them. :p

Sound advice my friend, you make some good points :)

I had a few issues with ladies I met where my good manners were misconstrued as being patronizing and not appreciated. But I still prefer good manners.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd avoid roses altogether. They are risky flowers, often with too much read into them.

Since you don't realy know her, if you do get flowers, get something you like. Then, if lacking for words, you can always still say 'I realized I had no idea what you may like, so I just chose something I thought looked pretty" :p

Silly question though:

How are you meeting? If you aren't picking her up from her place and you would get flowers, what would you do with them all evening? They are a nice guesture, but it can be rather inconvenient having to carry around some flowers everywhere ;)

And for the Raithe-Date-Club:

The Raithe-Date is now open for bets.

First bet:

I bet 3 Obsidian Forum Digital Shillings* that the mystery date wil turn out being a lurker on this forum.

* currency may not actually exist, in which case there is no obligation to pay the debt should this bet be lost

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I've never cared about flowers but I didn't mind if guys brought them on a first date or occasional special occasion, either. Just shows they're putting some thought/effort. If you're worried they might object to the notion of cutting flowers for profit, bring a small live potted plant instead. Doesn't have to be a flower plant. Tiny starter bonsai might be good.

Also convenient because such can just sit in a trunk all night if needs be. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have no idea what is wrong with roses, they are a symbol of romanticism and this isn't a friend date.  

If you are meeting somewhere and carrying flowers is an issue, get a single long stemmed rose with one of those little water attachments.  It will keep it fresh and can be left in a car or someplace else easily enough.

And if she really has an issue with roses or cutting flowers, she's a loony and not worth your time :p

Sound advice my friend, you make some good points :)

I had a few issues with ladies I met where my good manners were misconstrued as being patronizing and not appreciated. But I still prefer good manners.

Yeah, me too. Then I realised that women who are at least reasonably secure don't mind being patronised a bit. Could be a status thing of some sort, they found partonising behaviour offensive when I was a law student, but now that I'm an LL.D. with cigar pockets in his suit jackets it's practically expected. :D

Oh, and no flowers on a first date in Scandinavia. Flowers are for your mother, or elderly female bosses/secretaries. In fact, go buy your mom some.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I bet 3 Obsidian Forum Digital Shillings* that the mystery date wil turn out being a lurker on this forum.

In that case, I suggest he arm himself before going as well.

• Like 1

Hmm, perhaps I should run more things by you guys - you seem to enjoy this.. heh

Concerning flower I could bring her a single Forget-Me-Not and pin it on her dress or something like that. I mean sitting with a bouquet the whole evening might be a little.. annoying.

How are you meeting? If you aren't picking her up from her place and you would get flowers, what would you do with them all evening? They are a nice guesture, but it can be rather inconvenient having to carry around some flowers everywhere ;)

And for the Raithe-Date-Club:

The Raithe-Date is now open for bets.

First bet:

We've yet to decide exactly how we are going to meet, but likely I'll swing by and we'll go to the theater together. Classic etc.

Lurker? The only one I'm sure is from Copenhagen is Gorgon and I'm pretty sure he's not a pretty brunette girl.

Fortune favors the bald.

Concerning flower I could bring her a single Forget-Me-Not and pin it on her dress or something like that. I mean sitting with a bouquet the whole evening might be a little.. annoying.

Great idea!

I tend to forget about that one - never did go to the prom/dances anything semi-formal in school or otherwise, for a date.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

rt

Hmm, perhaps I should run more things by you guys - you seem to enjoy this.. heh

Lurker? The only one I'm sure is from Copenhagen is Gorgon and I'm pretty sure he's not a pretty brunette girl.

Mmmmm, that doesn't sound right. I am convinced that Gorgon is a voluptuous , beautiful Danish brunette?

Would you let us know if Gorgon is your date? Personally I find the whole thing romantic

OBSIDIAN  WAY OFF TOPIC HEADLINES

"And true love founds its way when the two star crossed lovers were finally reunited. Let no man say that the life of an Obsidian moderator should be a lonely one."

:)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Great idea!

I tend to forget about that one - never did go to the prom/dances anything semi-formal in school or otherwise, for a date.

I'll take you for a date, what time should I pick you up?

I'm old fashioned and I believe in paying for everything, especially the first date.  :)

John Milton 

Up betimes, and to the Obsidian forums. To my surprise I found that everyone did tocar and make the nasty.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm having an early drink and listening to loud music, Queen were freaking talent monsters in the 70's, the nuances drive me mad, musically speaking I'm at the stage where I can hear everything they're doing but can't imagine I'll ever learn how to put it all together with such expertise...bastards  :blush:

Went to dance lessons.

Group lessons and the group was about twenty people, so way too large for my liking.

*grumble* people shouldn't be allowed to take more salsa lessons than ballroom lessons if they are taking both *grumble* they pick up terrible habits *grumble*

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Got suited up and went to the theatre. The new run of Phantom of the Opera.

Some good performances and interesting in the way they've changed some of the set pieces, very slick on the way sets revolve back and forth, but I think somethings been lost in all of that. The drama of the Chandalier has gone from one that did a mock "fall" over the audiences heads to a few cracks and sparkles in said chandalier. A few other things like that.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Took a short hike, nice to be out. Couldn't take my full camera bag (when did that get so heavy, heh) but I had my cellphone sized vidcam along. I always like taking shots of the ground squirrels popping their heads out of their holes ... they often surprise me by being around even in winter. Perhaps the sunny days. It is almost Feb. Spring's around the corner! :)

I'm having an early drink and listening to loud music, Queen were freaking talent monsters in the 70's, the nuances drive me mad, musically speaking I'm at the stage where I can hear everything they're doing but can't imagine I'll ever learn how to put it all together with such expertise...bastards  :blush:

Queen were the greatest! :thumbsup:

Being an old Michael Laudrup fan, I've been checking up on his latest venture and see that his club 'Swansea' is doing fairly decently in the Premiere League. Good on him :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

OBSIDIAN  WAY OFF TOPIC HEADLINES

This sounds like the next version of this thread.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Got suited up and went to the theatre. The new run of Phantom of the Opera.

Some good performances and interesting in the way they've changed some of the set pieces, very slick on the way sets revolve back and forth, but I think somethings been lost in all of that. The drama of the Chandalier has gone from one that did a mock "fall" over the audiences heads to a few cracks and sparkles in said chandalier. A few other things like that.

Well, that sucks. I have this vague recollection the chandelier had already been toned down a bit the last time I saw it three years ago. Still at Her Majesty's Theatre, though?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Got asked what "Berlinske" actually means. Realized I don't speak danish and don't know. Decided I'd ask Raithe. Noticed he's not danish either. Got confused. Realized Raithe and Rosbjerg are two different people.

Plan for the rest of the day: wonder why on earth and since when I got those two mixed up as the same person.

Maybe I need more sleep.