Gorth

New guy shows up for his first day, and no one knew he actually was starting today. Well no one on my team (which is closest to what he'll be doing here). Funny for me but I'm guessing this disorganization isn't all that good :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just quickly plugged my ipod in to synch it up with the ME3 Citadel soundtrack I've downloaded..  and boom, just after hitting synch I suddenly realised I haven't actually synched it since I had my massive OCD attack and sorted all the songs on my itunes library around. So now it's got somewhat in excess of 8000 songs to redo rather then just the 20 I thought it would take....

This might take a little bit longer then I planned....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Incredibly lazy morning. I think the -18c that's supposed to be outside has something to do with it...

Hi Nep :)

Holy smoke thats cold !!!

What do Finnish people do in that type of cold? Do they stay indoors after work or do they go to Gym and maybe hit restaurants in the evening?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched some show called "My Dog Ate What?" (or something like that) where a dog ingested enough garden rocks to fill 3 large dog food bowls. Another one swallowed a long coat hanger rod. And so on. Expensive surgeries followed. To which I say ... I think I'll stick with my cats, who are finicky eaters and will chew on nothing bigger than catnip sprouts or the occasional fly.

....my "blaargh" state of affairs continues unabated. Outside of the daily "must do's", I've largely spent my free hours lying around on the couch like a deflated, empty bag of holding. Maybe I should take some sky diving lessons.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Bah. Finns and their weak cold. It was a manly -20 in Stockholm yesterday.

lol .."weak cold"  :grin:

What do you Swedes do in the evening when its that cold?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wha

What would you do in a land of cold and blonde beauties? Find many interesting ways to keep warm and entertained I imagine.

Urg, having a nice wind chill kick in here. Actually the flash snow across the country is providing it's random amusement. And watching a long haired german shephard running around the garden in excitement with its fur getting blown all around it has its moment of cheap laughter.

Sitting down with a hot cup of tea and sorting out my mothers drug supplies. The joys of fresh pharmacuticals added to the pile by the doctors and trying to remember just what goes where...

• Like 1

It's a balmy 6C this morning! I think I'll have some ice tea. 

You should get video of the dog running around in the snow and upload it to YT. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wha

What would you do in a land of cold and blonde beauties? Find many interesting ways to keep warm and entertained I imagine.

Urg, having a nice wind chill kick in here. Actually the flash snow across the country is providing it's random amusement. And watching a long haired german shephard running around the garden in excitement with its fur getting blown all around it has its moment of cheap laughter.

Sitting down with a hot cup of tea and sorting out my mothers drug supplies. The joys of fresh pharmacuticals added to the pile by the doctors and trying to remember just what goes where...

I suppose you have a point but I guess I am more  interested in what social experiences, apart from sex,  that  people do or rather what people consider are acceptable in those types of extreme cold.

Is that your dog that can open the garden gate, I am sure it was you that mentioned it?

John Milton 

I suspect you'd play a lot of games, drink a lot, maybe go out and dance, see a movie. Not that different from people in weather that's 20 degrees warmer. Mostly indoor stuff, with the snow/ice type activities in the day if one likes those things. Hubs lived in Alaska for a year when he was younger and basically, he just huddled in his room and tried to stay warm, especially when it was dark most of the time. But then, he's not a terribly social type. I think he went ice fishing a couple times, that sort of thing.

• Like 1

-20 C is extreme cold ? :p You can still go out and do stuff, just get a decent coat. We don't get very harsh winters here, I think -8 C or so would be a good temperature to see it as being in winter in your mind's eye. Yet people prance about in these $800 down coats meant for far colder weather (well, I think they are, anyway) :p

It does make getting out bed difficult when you hear it's -30 C with wind out though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think -8 C or so would be a good temperature to see it as being in winter in your mind's eye.

That's about as cold a weather as I've been in (up in the Sierra snow one winter). It was fine during a sunny day, especially if one was xcountry skiing. Starting out with all those layers and peeling them off one by one from exertion. But if I was standing still outside for a while, I'd get cold fairly quickly without some good coverings on. That was when I was young. I'd probably turn into a popsicle these days.

...and I absolutely hate getting into a freezing bed in an almost unheated room. I swear I still wasn't warm after two hours, with long underwear/sweater and what felt like 1000 pounds of blankets. Speaking of heat, I think I'll go stand next to the wall furnace as it heats up the house to 68F. Because I'm a weenie.

• Like 1

It's amazing how quickly assorted tasks eat up chunks of your day. Visit to the tailors, dealing with the bank, handling the dogs, various checks on plethora of things, poking at work, it all seems to disapear...

As to the cold and such, I have to admit it can be kind of funny how people are acclimatised to specific extremes and are out of sorts in others. I always remember being in California, visiting family of a friend there, the clouds move in and obscure the sun, there's a slight temperature drop, and all the locals are suddenly complaining about the cold and rushing off to get long sleeved tops and light jumpers on. The couple of other Englishmen there and myself were all in short sleeves and fairly hot going "Huh?"

• Like 1

It was -20 during the weekend and now we have 20cm more snow today. It's still january right? Who's been talking about march?

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Looking to go back to school

It's been a while and I'll probably have to do it part time but it's something I've always wanted to go back and finish

Nice one, good to hear you want to complete it :)

John Milton 

Wha

I suppose you have a point but I guess I am more  interested in what social experiences, apart from sex,  that  people do or rather what people consider are acceptable in those types of extreme cold.

Is that your dog that can open the garden gate, I am sure it was you that mentioned it?

In Oymyakon, coldest village in the world, people apparently larp Ice Queens.

oymyakon-russia1.jpg

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Wha

In Oymyakon, coldest village in the world, people apparently larp Ice Queens.

oymyakon-russia1.jpg

Thats actually a cool costume, I can imagine an Ice Wizard wearing that :)

John Milton 

We were playing soccer in the cold. I think it was -8 or maybe even colder. Everything was going fine until I slipped and and fell. It was not a beautiful landing. It didn't feel so bad then and there, so I kept playing and didn't think about it. 30 minutes later? Excruciating pain. Rubbed in my shoulder and arm with Vix and Voltaren gel. On top of that, I took some painkillers. It doesn't feel as bad as before wich is good, but working tomorrow will be a pain. My stubborness means I won't see a doctor.

Thats actually a cool costume, I can imagine an Ice Wizard wearing that :)

What costume? Those are pajamas in Finland. :p

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

There's some "buy one of these 5 games and get 80% off all of them" sale on GOG so I went ahead and dropped $20 for some. Probably won't be done downloading for several days. Currently 60mb out of 8.4gb on The Witcher:EE. Yeah, I haven't played it, wasn't willing to pay more than $2.00 for it.

Edited by AGX-17

Just been going over some of the wedding plans with the groom to be, planning on getting a board made up with pictures of the bride's immediate family and names so I can get some grasp before hand. Now with three weeks to go before the flight, and four weeks before the wedding, he drops the news that I need to pick up some basic salsa since dancing is mucho important and the immediate wedding group will be expected to be dancing.

Also, apparently the husband of his soon to be sister-in-law is apparently planning on taking us all on a second stag party the day after our flight lands in Mexico City.

I'm thinking the job of Best Man starts to get a lot piled on it.....