Disney buys Lucasfilm

Tale

Pick a source, any source.

Depending on your opinion of the current state of Star Wars, this might be considered good or bad. There's an episode 7 planned for 2015.

Found the press release.

• Like 4
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm not sure what to think of this. Episode 7 slated for 2015... must that happen? and Disney behind the wheel? I guess it's better than George Lucas, but Disney isn't exactly known for high quality films that aren't targeted at kiddies. (barring some rather lame ass romantic comedies)

I have some serious misgivings about this

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Episode VII will be awesome, full with quirky characters and with an ironic attitude, spouting references to popular culture. The kids will love it!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Episode VII will be awesome, full with quirky characters and with an ironic attitude, spouting references to popular culture. The kids will love it!

So, not any worse than the new Clone Wars series?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/30/disney-star-wars-lucasfilm/1669739/

Following the release of Episode 7 in 2015, "our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," [ Disney CEO Robert ] Iger said in the statement.

Oh for heaven's sake. Let it go already.

Not that I don't understand. Money to be made and all. But I'm going to remain huddled in my corner pretending only the first three movies exist.

...it is interesting about Lucas letting go of the reins, however. Reminds me of Roddenberry doing similar with ST:TNG. Creative consultant. Hm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Star Wars EU already became a bit of a mess from overexposure and too many cooks. So I'm not all that bothered by the possibility of a bi-yearly milking. If it ends up with more consistency than the old canon, it'd be a godsend.

Though I am more than sympathetic to the idea of letting things go. I'm generally pretty disrespectful of any franchise that outstays its welcome, and the Star Wars EU is one of my inspirations for that opinion.

What Paramount did with Star Trek felt similar, to me, too. I don't mean only the reboot movie, either. Just the concept that they ran that franchise into the ground to a point where even a lot of fans stopped caring. But that's often the nature of film/TV. Occasionally, years later, things align and something great comes out of the pile again. But not often, imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

on the plus side, maybe, just maybe someone gets to remake the prequels and do them right this time.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I was a bit baffled when I saw it myself, but after thinking about it I do believe Disney can do some good with the franchise. Besides, I'm sure they realize what a gold mine it is, if they handle it right.. And when they are willing to spend so much money, I have assume they want to make a lot of different stuff with the license.

Fortune favors the bald.

Just thought of something. Would Disney be willing to release a Blu-Ray of the original unaltered original Star Wars trilogy? Or does that control still remain with Lucas.

• Like 1

Just thought of something. Would Disney be willing to release a Blu-Ray of the original unaltered original Star Wars trilogy? Or does that control still remain with Lucas.

I'm hoping they can. This is the big thing I would like to see come out of this.

I suspect that they're going to be doing things through their "mature" studio rather than as a Disney specific product. It's content doesn't conform to the specific Disney vision, so that's the only way they'd be able to release it... unless they threw out a scrappy doo kid character that makes Anakin Skywalker look positively nuanced.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hm, so they own LucasArts too, right ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Surprising. Lucas has kids, does he not? I guess either they didn't want to take over the reigns, or he didn't want them to. Instead they'll just have to settle for his billions. :p

I'm a bit surprised they'd already be announcing a 2015 movie estimate. We'll see. I'm optimistic for no other reason than maybe a new "direction" can spark my interest in the franchise again after the PT and especially the Clone Wars cartoon series have pretty much made me disinterested.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Star Wars will be appearing in Square-Enix's Kingdom Hearts games. That is reason enough to hold a funeral for Star Wars.

Cant be worse than Binks. No matter what. They could introduce Kermit the Frog as a Sith Lord and It would only improve on it.

• Like 2

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!