What you did today

Gorth

OT The Big Green is now @ 10k! Ah if only we could accumulate from all of OBS previous manifestations ;)

Hot damn, you big green scaly berk! You are the man... or dragon as it were.
  • Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

OT The Big Green is now @ 10k! Ah if only we could accumulate from all of OBS previous manifestations ;)

Screenshot taken, to be framed. :bow:

:grin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Society today is too quick to shift blame to everyone else.

Parents blame the schools, TV, videogames.

Schools blame the parents (and TV and videgames)

As far as I can see, parents to cary the lions share of the blame, but insted of talking, it's better to actually do something.

That said, I learend 3 foreign languages by myself.. I spoke perfect italian at the age of 6. German at 8-9. English soon thereafter. Without any school.. Just by watching TV.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Got the grade for my dissertation. I've never felt so shafted and disappointed in my whole life.

You put a LOT of effort into it, so it's natural to be dissappointed when your work doesn't get the deserved recognition.

Nobody will care about the grade once you get your first job though.

And professors are just human beings. That means they are petty, vindictive sods like everybody else. And quite a few of them are only lording it over students because university was the only place that would accept them.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Got the grade for my dissertation. I've never felt so shafted and disappointed in my whole life.

You put a LOT of effort into it, so it's natural to be dissappointed when your work doesn't get the deserved recognition.

And professors are just human beings. That means they are petty, vindictive sods like everybody else. And quite a few of them are only lording it over students because university was the only place that would accept them.

Hi Nep

I can only say I am sorry about your grade. It must be disappointing when you feel you put effort in and it doesn't seem to have been recognized

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hi Nep

I can only say I am sorry about your grade. It must be disappointing when you feel you put effort in and it doesn't seem to have been recognized

Thanks guys. I'm aware of the things you've mentioned, (un)fortunately I have people calling me that I've been put through a bigger injustice than what is common, and that such a low grade was unforeseeable to everybody (else) who has actually read the book. Well, actually, it's not "low", but it's "normal" instead of "reasonably good", which is what I expected, as it's a really good book on an exotic subject. :p

I've been told to make an official statement to the body that makes the final decision. It is almost unheard of that they'd change it, but not entirely so.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Anecdote from personal life:

I failed my BA at my first uni with the explanation that "Your work is really good. It is post graduate level really but you understand that this is a graduate degree and for this you have to provide graduate level work."

In the same week the majority of post-grads failed their two year master with the explanation by the course director that: "I know this is what Robert* asked you to do, but he is dead isn't he?"

*the main professor of their course had unexpectedly died shortly before the final presentation. The course director who took over after his death had different views on Architecture...

I got my diploma at a different uni in a different country. I did ok. Could have done better had I applied myself more, but by then I was rather disillusioned with the whole proccess.

From my experience, complaints and statements don't actually do anything. If professors pull these stunts its usually because they can get away with it. But it's always good to do something. If there is a proper procedure, do it. On one hand you never know, on the other you'll not feel as if you had just let them do whatever they wanted.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Thanks for sharing.

On one hand you never know, on the other you'll not feel as if you had just let them do whatever they wanted.

How's that quote again, "I hate injustice, especially when it is directed at myself". But seriously, a dislike for injustice was one of the reasons why I became a lawyer in the first place, so I know that I will feel better just from not letting them do what they want, even if it's the act of a man sticking up his middle finger from the scrum when he's been jumped by an NFL defensive line... :D

It's mostly politics, anyway. Up until now when grading was on merit, I always performed extremely well, but this one... yeah.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Good bit of vicarious drama with my friend from University and his adventures in online dating (making some progress on getting him to just be happy being single :p). Another reason my job rocks is my sending an email asking for clarification to which the client responds with "Correct"..which answers nothing, hmm.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I keep meaning to ask, is the typo in your signature intentional?

I like to irritate grammar naztis :biggrin:

But nah...I just type real fast so sometimes a typo slips trough.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I keep meaning to ask, is the typo in your signature intentional?

I like to irritate grammar naztis :biggrin:

But nah...I just type real fast so sometimes a typo slips trough.

It was driving me crazy "I know the actual joke is that Noris thought he was wrong, but is that a typo or is that meant to be a secret joke to throw people off track? Am I overthinking this? Did I fall for it and am I completly off track now?" :)

Nothing interesting going on today, unless you include the entertainment of opening the front door and watching a cat "freak" out over the very, very loud rainstorm noises. Run to the door to watch/look at thick sheets of rain, dashes around the room like a kitten who drank too much coffee, repeat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's tough, Nep, but I think Mel has it right. Once you're working in the field, it won't really make much of a difference because you'll make a name for yourself in your work history. Good luck, man.

I took a flexeril last night and I've been walking around like a zombie all day. It occurs to me that I'm getting old.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Learned last night that I might be able to claim german citizenship due to a great grandparent on my mothers side. HMMMMMMMMM

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

NEW RUNNING SHOES

This is amazing! I went twice as far as usual without even realizing it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What shoes, Tale?

I had this pair of Asics, once, years ago. Best, most comfy shoes ever...I have mildly flat feet and those shoes kept all arch-fatigue and much ankle fatigue away for as long as I owned them. I wore them to tatters. I still haven't found anything like them...not even from the same company. :/

Thats tough Nep indeed. Heh, my iniitial university dissertation I'd planned out and done all sorts of research and prepared for it the year before I had to start it.. and I went to speak to my university advisor..and they said "that would be really interesting. no. Do something else.".

Admittedly, they gave some good reasons for it over the difficulty in gaining data on certain things but still.. having to totally start from scratch on a totally seperate concept was a bit of a bitch. And then I had to drop out to look after my mother about 6 months later anyhow.

Still, on the upside, she got discharged from hospital late this afternoon/evening.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Learned last night that I might be able to claim german citizenship due to a great grandparent on my mothers side. HMMMMMMMMM

I dunno man, Id go for KING OF IRELAND! Huzzah.

Eh, the UK doesn't have the "If you can prove you have a relative from Germany, you're an automatic citizen". Germany does and my Grandmother is Penn. Dutch (and even has a few baptismal notices in German from her parents/grandparents time)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The only way to overcome the petty stupidity of professors is to become a Name in your field. If you do, the 'grade' is nothing more than a little villain in your life narrative to squish on your way; if you let yourself go, then it becomes retroactively truer and truer. I know whatever we say it will still get to you, though. It's hard not to.

I've generally had very good, reasonable, ethical professors thus far, but anyone with even a brief exposure to the publication, conference, etc. system fully knows that it's far from a meritocracy.

I spent an hour trying to jog my memory on what nickname I used on the old Interplay message boards. Darnit, I just can't recall. It's driving me crazy. I probably wasn't on them regularly too long (3-4 months would be my guess) but I posted a lot when I was. Chatted with some on mIRC too. Had some old letters and notes on 3.5 floppies that I could've checked, if I still had a floppy drive in one of my computers. :disguise: Bah, the info probably wasn't on those anyway.

Oh well. It's not a big deal...sometimes you just get a bug up your you-know-what about something. But I still wish I could remember. :cat:

3 months from now, You'll suddenly wake up at 2:30 in the morning and remember it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Are you sure your old nickname wasn't 'Eldar,' Red?

EDIT: And I've started watching my blu ray collector's edition of LOST. Revisting the old scene of the crime. What makes it a 'collector's edition?' Who the hell knows? I can't remember.

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays