[Merged] George Ziets as as the 2.8 million stretch goal

Anyone who hasn't played Mask of the Betrayer really should be ashamed of themselves. It's easily one of the best crpgs ever made, and clearly the best made in 10 years or so.

Actually that game seems to be quite a rarity these days, because rights went back to Hasbro and since then it has been unavailable through all digital distributors. Few online shops still have retail copies, but prices are outrageous for 6 year-old game. But they can ask almost anything since there probably won't be new batch coming for a little while.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Anyone who hasn't played Mask of the Betrayer really should be ashamed of themselves. It's easily one of the best crpgs ever made, and clearly the best made in 10 years or so.

Actually that game seems to be quite a rarity these days, because rights went back to Hasbro and since then it has been unavailable through all digital distributors. Few online shops still have retail copies, but prices are outrageous for 6 year-old game.

Sadly yes. I try to keep tabs on the release for people who ask and the only digital distribution I can find is Gamersgate Neverwinter Nights complete pack.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Actually that game seems to be quite a rarity these days, because rights went back to Hasbro and since then it has been unavailable through all digital distributors. Few online shops still have retail copies, but prices are outrageous for 6 year-old game.

It's not on Steam anymore? I bought whole NWN2 package from Steam like a year ago because I was missing SoZ.

Hate the living, love the dead.

It's not on Steam anymore? I bought whole NWN2 package from Steam like a year ago because I was missing SoZ.

It is no longer on STEAM sadly :(

Not anymore, no. Of course if you bought it before the whole Hasbro hassle you'll still have it in your steam inventory.

I would, but never got past the basic NWN2 game cause it kept corrupting my save games. I gave up after the fifth attempt (which was after the last patch). Spent good money on that collectors edition too.

I'm stealing this shamelessly from RPG Codex and I dont care, because people who have never heard of George Ziets need to read this

George Ziets said :

Original settings are under-used in games. Or to be more precise - original settings that are not clones of existing IPs.

My favorite games take me somewhere I’ve never been before - whether that place is fictional, as in Planescape: Torment, or inspired by real life. (And of course, even a game that is set in the “real world” can incorporate supernatural elements.) As a designer, setting my game in a new or original setting is a source of creative inspiration, especially if it requires me to learn about something that’s unfamiliar to me. Creativity is all about new and unexpected connections.

For example, think of all the world mythologies that could be used to inspire an interesting setting - e.g., the various African cultures and mythologies, Indian mythology (which is full of colorful creatures and characters), Central or South American, Southeast Asian, Polynesian, etc. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one game that used a central African setting (Quest for Glory III), one that used a Polynesian setting (Mark of Kri), only a few that were inspired by Central or South American mythology (e.g., Grim Fandango), and none that heavily borrowed from the others (I could be forgetting or unaware of some). But the games that did use largely-untapped mythologies were often among my favorites.

I would also love to see more games that are based on real-world historical periods, apart from the European Middle Ages. Central and Eastern Europe in the 16th to 18th Centuries were full of interesting conflicts, not to mention superstitions and mythologies, that could inspire both narrative and gameplay. I also think a game set in the Ottoman Empire of the 18th or 19th Century (think: the setting of James Goodwin‘s Yashim the Detective novels) or during the French Revolution could be a lot of fun, but there are tons of other historical settings that could be equally compelling.

Another setting that I think is underused is “real” science fiction. Most scifi games are actually space fantasy, like Star Wars. Mass Effect pays lip service to some actual or predicted technologies, and it includes Earth, but it still feels like a collection of space fantasy tropes. I’d like to see a game that projected technological trends two or three hundred years into the future and based its gameplay and narrative around what *could* really happen. Obviously, these projections would be exaggerated for the sake of fun, but I think a scifi game could be far more surprising and interesting if it was based on “real” projective science fiction than the usual conglomeration of jump gates, “the force,” insectoid aliens, etc.

This guy is creative as all hell and hes interested in breaking the mold, hes perfect for this game.

• Like 1

"Anyone who hasn't played Mask of the Betrayer really should be ashamed of themselves. It's easily one of the best crpgs ever made, and clearly the best made in 10 years or so. "

This is one of the most evilly insane things I've ever read on the internet. And, that's coming from someone (me) who really likes MOTB. Disgusting.

As for Zeits. Glad he might be part of the team; but tagging it to a stretch goal is lame. What are they gonna do if it isn't reached? Tell him to get lost and remain an unemployed bum? Come on, now. No matter what he is going to work on the game. It's a fake stretch goal and Obsidian doesn't even realize it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Anyone who hasn't played Mask of the Betrayer really should be ashamed of themselves. It's easily one of the best crpgs ever made, and clearly the best made in 10 years or so. "

This is one of the most evilly insane things I've ever read on the internet. And, that's coming from someone (me) who really likes MOTB. Disgusting.

As for Zeits. Glad he might be part of the team; but tagging it to a stretch goal is lame. What are they gonna do if it isn't reached? Tell him to get lost and remain an unemployed bum? Come on, now. No matter what he is going to work on the game. It's a fake stretch goal and Obsidian doesn't even realize it.

Maybe, im wrong. But i think all will be done.

If 2,8 million stretch goal isn't reached, tell will anounce Zeits as an Eternity worker anyway. The same for mega-dungeon; if Obsidian has in mind 15 levels, they will add 15 levels to the dungeon, despite the funder numbers.

You think too much. I love this stretch goal and I'm sure it will be achieved.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

amazon has 2 copies of mask of the betrayer left for under 8 bucks. they had 3 before i just order mine. NWN2 and MotB for 25 bucks after shipping. SoZ is like 45 though

Edited by ogrezilla

Does it have DRM?

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Hmm. Might snag myself a copy then.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I usually get bored by games that don't constantly involve me hacking **** up, but MotB had a bald chick and a psychedelic bear NPC. and I got to eat souls and hang out with gods.

So even I, the Hackmeister, am happy at the inclusion of Mr. Z.

Oh, plus I've just been given a mouse-mat for free.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Who's gonna be the next? Kevin Saunders?

If he wasn't busy with his own company and his own project right now, I'd say Brian Mitsoda.

I would like too see Brent Knowles involved in this project somehow, and he is unemployed.

amazon has 2 copies of mask of the betrayer left for under 8 bucks. they had 3 before i just order mine. NWN2 and MotB for 25 bucks after shipping. SoZ is like 45 though

quoting myself because now they have 5 copies left. what the hell amazon tricked me

Bwahahahaha I have mint physical copies of NWN2, MotB and SoZ.

In fact I might *** install them right now *** (demonic cackle) and post screenies of my epic (saved) Epic Blackguard game of MotB (Chaotic Evil version, bloated on souls).

Who says physical copies are dead?

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG