[Merged] George Ziets as as the 2.8 million stretch goal

This stretch goal is not a dream, not a possible goal: it is mandatory and compulsory, do you hear me!?!

I'm extremely ecited about this and have even started recruiting friends of friends of friends to make money trickle into Obdidian's pledge pot.

Do whatever it takes, good folks! This stretch goal must be met!

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Man this fit of nostalgia really makes me want to reinstall the whole kit and kaboodle ... god, this is going to take forever.

Edit:

Yup forever ... btw, Anybody remember if there are any niggling issues with the install process? I seem to recall there being problems once upon a time?

Just to be safe I'm doing the Main install + patch, XP1 + patch, XP2 + patch. Seem like overkill?

If I remember correctly, there was an issue with the incremental update of the base game, but the last time I installed it (two years ago) I installed base game, xp1, xp2 and then ran the auto updater.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So if we don't raise enough money to get him... I mean would they call and tell him 'hey we didn't raise enough money to get you so you can't be a part of the project.' If it comes down to the wire i'd rather toss out one of the other stretch goals to get him on board :p. It's a great way to bring in money for the kick starter but when it's all said and done here in 6 days, I'd like to see this guy on board no matter what.

Edited by Loranc

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Yup forever ... btw, Anybody remember if there are any niggling issues with the install process? I seem to recall there being problems once upon a time?

Just to be safe I'm doing the Main install + patch, XP1 + patch, XP2 + patch. Seem like overkill?

Nope. Main game, XP1, XP2, updates.

One can never be sure about the update process. It can kill your installation in one case and when you repeat it doesn't have problems at all. Maybe simply make a system recovery point after installing game & xps and run auto-update afterwards. I installed it yesterday on Win 7 and it was fine. Just take some time, I needed about an hour to install.

Edited by Farudan

Eternity Gazette (german news about PE)

As someone who only discovered who George Z was through this thread's early days (page 2 or 3 I think) and then realised he was the lead behind the expansion pack that redeemed NWN2 and which stands out as one of OBS' more impressive works, I'm very excited that he could become involved in PE.

Kudos to the people behind this thread who have been agitating to get George involved.

Now have to work out how much to increase my pledge; a little or go the who damned hog and up it to the next tier? How much is it worth to have George involved ?

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

As someone who only discovered who George Z was through this thread's early days (page 2 or 3 I think) and then realised he was the lead behind the expansion pack that redeemed NWN2 and which stands out as one of OBS' more impressive works, I'm very excited that he could become involved in PE.

Kudos to the people behind this thread who have been agitating to get George involved.

Now have to work out how much to increase my pledge; a little or go the who damned hog and up it to the next tier? How much is it worth to have George involved ?

I upped my pledge to my max days ago.

And now we get the news about Ziets.

<pretends she didn't squeal with excitement at the news>

Ahem.

Gonna have to figure out how to siphon a bit (or a lot) more funds into my pledge, even if it means I have Ramen for lunch for a while. :p

Edited by Shaz

Bah, too much enthusiasm for the internet here. I had forgotten about PayPal, that should have a pretty substantial haul, so making up that amount in 6 days probably is fairly doable.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Re: above posts

It is worth getting at least a little enthusiastic about.....the exact amount perhaps proportional to how much extra pledge one can put in!

If someone is willing to do Ramen for lunch to up their pledge, I should at least be able to sacrifice a few weeks worth of my morning coffee money (which is not to say sacrificing coffee entirely....no one is worth that!)

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Let me get this straight? At 2.8 million dollars you're added George Ziets to the team?

You call this a feature? You do understand that every project he's ever touched has been an outright failure or flop right?

Is it possible to remove my pledge if he gets signed on?

And don't give him credit for his unmentionable role in New Vegas.

Give him credit for where his real claim to "fame" is: everything else.

Plus, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I could care less if he's a "genuinely nice guy".

We want a solid product.

Not another empty promise of "This Product is the next Baldur's Gate" which we've been hearing and certainly not seeing from developers, Ziets included, for years now.

Plus, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I could care less if he's a "genuinely nice guy".

We want a solid product.

Not another empty promise of "This Product is the next Baldur's Gate" which we've been hearing and certainly not seeing from developers, Ziets included, for years now.

You seem to have an axe to grind and it seems to be the only reason you created an account. Why don't you tell what your issue is instead of vague hints and insinuations?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Let me get this straight? At 2.8 million dollars you're added George Ziets to the team?

You call this a feature? You do understand that every project he's ever touched has been an outright failure or flop right?

Is it possible to remove my pledge if he gets signed on?

And don't give him credit for his unmentionable role in New Vegas.

Give him credit for where his real claim to "fame" is: everything else.

I strongly disagree with this guy.

• Like 1

The story in DS III is extremely well written, actually! I think that the game got bad rep because it was brave. Ziets tried to flesh out something that was story-wise thin. DS I & II was mildly entertaining, but here was an attempt to make an ARPG with a sophisticated story. The old fans weren't too happy about that, they wanted more of the good old same.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I only just finished MotB like last week for the first time. Had that game and the OC unopened since they were released until sometime last year.

Yeah, NWN left that bad a taste in my mouth, Obsidian or no.

Glad I finally got around to playing them.

MotB was fun and well made (for the rule set and the game engine, neither of which I'm a fan of) but I'm not as big a fan as some people on here are. :)

That said, it had it's moments. Like standing on the corpse of a dead god of the dead. That's one of the rare game moments I'll probably never forget. :sorcerer:

DS3 has flaws, but the story for sure is not one of them.

I am a bit worried about the stretch goal, though. Only 5 days left and still 200k missing. This could be very close.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I must say, I'm disappointed that George's Addition doesn't seem to have generated much media attention. In fact, they more or less seem to have ignored the last two updates in general.

Edited by C2B