[Merged] George Ziets as as the 2.8 million stretch goal

IIRC, back on the Interplay forums Dave Maldonado said he did some/all the writing for the catacombs and dead/drowned nations area among other things. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I remember. Fleshing out MCA's outline of course, but the actual writing nevertheless. There was an interview not so long ago with MCA and maybe Feargus specifically about who did what on Torment and it went into more detail than I'd ever seen before about exactly how the responsibilites were shared. Quite interesting. I don't have a link or anything unfortunately. If anyone remembers the interview I am talking about please post a link.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'm rather disapointed that todays announcement wasnt George. Please Obsidian get him involved.

Yes, there are only 11 days left. If next update still are races ,classes or dungeon, 2.6 million will be the end of funding.

No, it will pretty sure pass 2.6 Million. Taking last days pledges into account we would have to slow down very, very drastically. At the current momentum we would pass without really needing a spike at the end.

According three great names in the project, shouldn't we expect the funding of PE at last pass 3 million, a little more than WL2?

What?

Yes. Most likely it will. I just said that we most certainly will pass 2.6.

IIRC, back on the Interplay forums Dave Maldonado said he did some/all the writing for the catacombs and dead/drowned nations area among other things. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I remember. Fleshing out MCA's outline of course, but the actual writing nevertheless. There was an interview not so long ago with MCA and maybe Feargus specifically about who did what on Torment and it went into more detail than I'd ever seen before about exactly how the responsibilites were shared. Quite interesting. I don't have a link or anything unfortunately. If anyone remembers the interview I am talking about please post a link.

Yup. On the first one.

I'm searching on the second one. Are you sure it was Feargus?

Also, its not really surprising Avellone wrote the outline. It was his job as Lead Designer/Lead Writer. He still also wrote most of the text in the game according to Colin McComb.

Edited by C2B

Not sure it was Feargus. I'm not even sure it wasn't just MCA. But Torment's skirt was definitely lifted up pretty high and she wasn't wearing anything underneath. Maybe it was like a couple of years ago? Almost certainly not less than a year ago.

Edit: Hm. Maybe it was this Tales of Torment thing in two parts on RPGWatch. Here's part two. I'm not 100% sure this is what I was thinking of but it's pretty close. Looks like Brother None did those interviews. I wonder what he'd have to say about it.

Edited by metiman

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'm rather disapointed that todays announcement wasnt George. Please Obsidian get him involved.

Yes, there are only 11 days left. If next update still are races ,classes or dungeon, 2.6 million will be the end of funding.

No, it will pretty sure pass 2.6 Million. Taking last days pledges into account we would have to slow down very, very drastically. At the current momentum we would pass without really needing a spike at the end.

According three great names in the project, shouldn't we expect the funding of PE at last pass 3 million, a little more than WL2?

What?

I mean cetainly 2.6 is not enough. The speed of funding we have now obviously can't reach 3 million and I'm really despair about that.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

What?

I mean cetainly 2.6 is not enough. The speed of funding we have now obviously can't reach 3 million and I'm really despair about that.

Yes, it can? With an endspike this is more than possible.

You're fully aware we currently have more money as DoubleFineAdventure had in the same time span?

Not sure it was Feargus. I'm not even sure it wasn't just MCA. But Torment's skirt was definitely lifted up pretty high and she wasn't wearing anything underneath. Maybe it was like a couple of years ago? Almost certainly not less than a year ago.

Edit: Hm. Maybe it was this Tales of Torment thing in two parts on RPGWatch. Here's part two. I'm not 100% sure this is what I was thinking of but it's pretty close. Looks like Brother None did those interviews. I wonder what he'd have to say about it.

Yup, that's even the Interview with Colin I meant. He also repeated it recently at another place (in a tweet even?)

Colin McComb: Avellone had at least a broad outline of the entire game from start to finish, with all of the major characters sketched out, by the time I’d joined the team. The rest of the design team added minor characters, stuff not exactly crucial to the main quest, and other fun stuff, and fleshed out the stuff he couldn’t get to. Avellone is a madman, I’ll tell you that – it was only with the greatest regret that he passed off Fhjull and Trias to me, and I heard him weeping bitter and solitary tears in his office when he assigned the Brothel to Dave Maldonado.

Working with the Torment team was incredible. It was really a fantastic bunch of people. We all did the very most we could to help each other out, to make each area as good as it could be, and to incorporate as many ideas as we could. Eric Campanella, one of our artists, came up with a pile of crazy and creepy monsters, and we made up some names and stats for them and threw them into the sewers.

Colin McComb: I hate to say it again, but Chris did the major work on the game. I would estimate that although he had seven designers on his team, he did about 50% of the work on the project. Keep in mind that he did all this while he was working on Fallout 2 as well. The man is truly prolific.

David said more or less the same thing about Chris basically having the overall story written right from the start. All the other writers just fleshed out his ideas. So most of the ideas were Chris's, but quite a bit of the actual dialogue in many areas was written by Colin and David. Clearly Maldonado and McComb have some writing talent and deserve some credit for the greatness of PS:T.

Edited by metiman

David said more or less the same thing about Chris basically having the overall story written right from the start. All the other writers just fleshed out his ideas. So most of the ideas were Chris's, but quite a bit of the actual dialogue in many areas was written by Colin and David. Clearly Maldonado and McComb have some writing talent and deserve some credit for the greatness of PS:T.

Uhm, yes and no. Yes, they deserve credit. Absolutly. I myself went crazy over the colin mccomb announcement for Wasteland 2.

But you make it sound like Chris only wrote the main story, which isn't the truth at all nor what they said. He did do by far the majority. (Maybe I just misunderstand your point)

Colin McComb: Avellone had at least a broad outline of the entire game from start to finish, with all of the major characters sketched out, by the time I’d joined the team. The rest of the design team added minor characters, stuff not exactly crucial to the main quest, and other fun stuff, and fleshed out the stuff he couldn’t get to. Avellone is a madman, I’ll tell you that – it was only with the greatest regret that he passed off Fhjull and Trias to me, and I heard him weeping bitter and solitary tears in his office when he assigned the Brothel to Dave Maldonado.

Colin McComb: I hate to say it again, but Chris did the major work on the game. I would estimate that although he had seven designers on his team, he did about 50% of the work on the project. Keep in mind that he did all this while he was working on Fallout 2 as well. The man is truly prolific.

Working with the Torment team was incredible. It was really a fantastic bunch of people. We all did the very most we could to help each other out, to make each area as good as it could be, and to incorporate as many ideas as we could. Eric Campanella, one of our artists, came up with a pile of crazy and creepy monsters, and we made up some names and stats for them and threw them into the sewers.

OK,only 9 days left. Maybe next stretch goal will be the last chance to see more talent guys join our PE.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Hmmm...just checked the Kickstarter page. Looks like Feargus et al have discussed bringing back Ziets.

From the comments page.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hmmm...just checked the Kickstarter page. Looks like Feargus et al have discussed bringing back Ziets.

From the comments page.

It has been discussed. Is it going to happen? Keep checking the updates to find out. :devil:

George is not only a talented writer, but he is one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with. Would be awesome to team up again on PE.

• Like 11

From the comments page.

It has been discussed. Is it going to happen? Keep checking the updates to find out. :devil:

George is not only a talented writer, but he is one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with. Would be awesome to team up again on PE.

God this is such a tease, i certainly hope it happens. With Ziets added you've got virtually every still working great CRPG designer involved in the project.

• Like 1

Thanks Bobby for the tease ^^

From the comments page.

God this is such a tease, i certainly hope it happens. With Ziets added you've got virtually every still working great CRPG designer involved in the project.

Sorry, have to disagree here immensly. There's a lot of really talented CRPG designers out there who are also still working in the industry.

I wasn't aware of the name behind MotB (and I'm still not clear on just how much of it he wrote personally) but I can certainly see the draw. I only played it through once or twice when it was still new and the overall story is hazy in my memory at this point, but the atmosphere, style, and dark feeling themes are hard to forget and that's a pretty strong point in the writer's favor. For MotB, for me at least, it wasn't precisely what happened that was most important, but how I felt as everything unfolded. If P:E can hit that sweet spot, I'll be one happy man.

I'd wager that George has already been approached by the team and if there's any possibility at all of the logistics of it working out, I'd say they are probably still in talks. I'm sure he'd love to join and the devs would love to have him but if it means taking a pay cut and a lesser position with less creative authority? Well... not sure that wishes and hopes will really overcome that. If the P:E team is serious about getting him on board, they need to find him the money as well as open a position which is less "subordinate" to Avellone, and more comparable to the level of autonomy he's been afforded while working on his most recent games. If that's not possible, I'm not sure that George will find it in his best interests to return no matter how interested he may be in the project.

Edited by fortuntek
  • Like 1

Must say, from the quality of work on MoTB, getting Ziets and Chris together for PE would be amazing, a dream come true. And I must mention that even though there are indeed still a few brilliant CRPG writers out there, very few of those can create something like PST and MoTB dealing with deeper philosophical themes whilst still keeping players entertained solely through brilliant writing and characterization (both of the world and the "actors" in it) in a fantasy setting. In that, there are very few in the industry that can match (with a proven track record) Chris Avellone and George Ziets. Make it happen Obsidian :).

• Like 2

Pl1982, my sentiments exactly! That combination would make a platform for several playthroughs almost regardless of game mechanics and such, that's how powerful writing can be in the hands of talented people: a product where philosophical and ethical dilemmas get woven into a CRPG, and you just sit there mesmerized! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Sorry, have to disagree here immensly. There's a lot of really talented CRPG designers out there who are also still working in the industry.

Sorry i was half asleep when i wrote that, what I meant was still available and not employed elsewhere. I know there a lot of talented designers out there. Shame we cant snag em all :D