Obsidian has a Kickstarter profile

http://www.kickstart...rofile/obsidian

Obsidian Entertainment is a game development studio located in Irvine, CA. We were founded in 2003 with many former Black Isle Studios employees dedicated to producing high-quality role-playing games. We're most known for games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Fallout: New Vegas.

Prior to Obsidian, each of the owners worked for Black Isle Studios as production, design, management, and programming staff, having worked on the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment series.

We loved working on those games, and feel there's a real nostalgia for them, and we're looking to you for help to bring them back!

In August.....

Which means we need to send out some search parties for Funcroc ASAP.

Edited by C2B

They sure have created quite a buzz if this indeed ends up being their KS campaign launch. I have my money ready for pledging, but I would also think there'll be a lot of disappointment in some circles when the "mindwrecking" mystery countdown people are sweating and exciting about ends up being "please give us money". Not my concern though, I'll be happy and a bit poorer.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I wonder what's the budget for the game? With the kickstarter fever died down, it will be a challenge to raise the obscene amount of money like Tim and Brian did.

I think the guys at Obsidian have a huge name recognition with oldschool RPG players, who will sell their heritage to finance this game.
  • Like 1

J_C from Codexia

I wonder what's the budget for the game? With the kickstarter fever died down, it will be a challenge to raise the obscene amount of money like Tim and Brian did.

I think people are ready for another big(million plus) KickStarter again. It's been 6 months since the big ones, the fans wallets have respawned currency(well, hopefully), and Obsidian is a pretty well respected developer among the RPG niche.

Hm. I've given up on guessing and am just waiting for the reveal day, but that's interesting. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hmm. You know, Walsingham has been MIA around these parts for about the same amount of time funcroc has.

:ermm:

All this time... could it be... ???

No. Impossible!

Inconceivable!

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hm. I've given up on guessing and am just waiting for the reveal day, but that's interesting. :)

Yeah, sorry for being such a party pooper but, if it is going to be a Kickstarter project at all, they will not be able to keep their secret for a long time. <--Already began to use the lazy side of my brains.

They sure have created quite a buzz if this indeed ends up being their KS campaign launch. I have my money ready for pledging, but I would also think there'll be a lot of disappointment in some circles when the "mindwrecking" mystery countdown people are sweating and exciting about ends up being "please give us money". Not my concern though, I'll be happy and a bit poorer.

Success in a KS debut is all about a good pitch (and remember that Ferg[?] recently gave big talks on how to make a pitch, they do this for a living). At the least they should have concept art and a lot of definite information about what the game is going to be and what's going to be cool about it. Gameplay vids, even in alpha, would be good as well.

Beyond that, enticing backer rewards, especially at the mid-levels ($30-75), helps quite a bit. T-shirts and forum badges won't do it. In-game acknowledgement of high-level backers (ala Wasteland 2's monuments) seems to be popular, but I know Avellone has expressed serious reservations about that practice.

The nice thing about dev-owned IP on a KS project is that there's no publisher-imposed timetable for information parceling, nor are there hard-set barriers on what can or should be revealed early on in development.

Also residuals.

But you may be talking about good for the audience in the early stages. A vision statement alone might be more than we get on some games for quite a while.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think it's Wheel of Time. Reg Eagle Games and Jet Set Games already tried to kickstarter it, but FAILED (2.8k of 450k). They promiced that they will try again in this year.

Also, initially WoT was to be developed by REG with EA and Obsidian.

I also think it might be wheel of time, the symbol on the countdown looks like a snake biting its own tail, which is a symbol from the Wheel of Time books.