The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

READY

10 PRINT Keep calm. Wait and see. Try not to get overly excited.

20 GOTO 10

RUN

.....but I want to believe in Molyneux again.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For me it was Dungeon Keeper1. He's had so many ideas etc. but most of them haven't turned out very well (imo) and I sorta stopped paying any attention to him. I'd love a new "god" game but for me, if it takes too much from things like Black & White, I'm likely to be disappointed.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White.

Has Molyneux suffered brain damage at some point? A lot of things can be said about Black & White's interface, intuitive is not one of them. Fable was one of the best action adventures, it's never a RPG, it's so weak in the RPG department, lots of games come out now with more RPG elements that aren't described as RPGs.

I was watching an interview with Chris Taylor (Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander) and he said something like "RTS works great on consoles, just give the interface 4 hours". You are a great programmer and designer Chris, but after 4 hours of learning the interface it's still not going to be comparable to a mouse in terms of speed or precision, which you can pick up in a few minutes.

Sometimes it seems like people who create great works apparently do so by complete accident, or they must have had input or a team around them that were way more important than they were given credit for. Sometimes it's as if they don't actually play games. Then again a lot of really badly designed games sell well, completely linear and scripted shooters, games primarily consisting of QTE, and 3D movement with fixed 3rd person perspective. Most of these decisions are taken because they want to do something with the graphics or the plot, but it's easier when you take control away from the player, and making the gameplay boring, repetitive, simple, and frustrating is apparently not a concern.

It's hard to feel confident about the project when Crysis 2, Max Payne 3, Sniper Elite V2, and Wheelman are cited. Crysis 2 was all right but it was no where near as good as Crysis, and it's hard to understand the design decisions of Max Payne 3, the first two games were great.

I did back BS5 even though I hated BS2, BS3, and BS4, if I can forgive Charles Cecil for past crimes, I think Molyneux probably deserves one final chance.

Only 4 days left for the Shadowgate Kickstarter and $20k left to go!

Thinking of upgrading, but the only higher reward I want is the backer t-shirt, and I can't really justify going to 200 $ and not buying gifts (for other people) ;)

It's 15k now...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Only 4 days left for the Shadowgate Kickstarter and $20k left to go!

Thinking of upgrading, but the only higher reward I want is the backer t-shirt, and I can't really justify going to 200 $ and not buying gifts (for other people) ;)

It's 15k now...

I've never actually played any of the numerous Shadowgate ports over the years, I just happen to like the idea of a D&D inspired adventure game. And although I was lucky enough to get in early and secure one of the coveted early bird slots, I went ahead and upped my pledge for the digital goodies. I've grown to really like the art style of the project. Chris Cold's digital paintings are pretty cool. Between the wallpapers and the 60 page art book, I'll have a lot of nice backgrounds for my PC. Plus, the soundtrack seems promising too. A lot of people keep mentioning how awesome and classic the NES music was. Here's hoping the project meets it's goals, I'm optimistic that it will.

I used to have the mac version back in the day. That rope bridge confounded me for years, until I had a revelation :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Isn't Molyneux a billionaire?

He has to be a millionaire, he's sold two of his game dev companies to EA and Microsoft. He paid $6m (according to wikipedia at least) of the Black & White development costs, and he's probably put a lot of his own money into 22cans.

Some article is claiming about 2 months ago he said the iPad could be more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox720 by the time they're released. If that's true, he must be inhaling mercury because he's as mad as a hatter.

Since Godus is going to be on smartphones and tablets, I can't trust Molyneux to deliver a competent PC interface or a game that uses the advantages of a PC like memory and storage capacity. I can see it being like the many other straight from the AppStore PC ports.

He has got a really good record, but lets just say it's not trending upwards in terms of quality.

• Like 1

For some reason i think he will be able to get to the goal... Sadly its also made for mobiles and stuff so the game will be dumb down... A lot... Not only that there is "nothing" about the game. And throw in that he could pay to make the game from his own money. But he wont because he hope people are dumb enough to do it for him (and they will be).

If I had a dollar for every time a game is "inspired by" Dungeon Keeper or other similar god games I'd be ... well, several dollars richer.

It does look intriguing from the videos but just like with Molyneux himself, at this point I'm pretty leery/non-expectant of such claims.

Dungeon Keeper was a game about building a dungeon and defending it* and it is a famous classic. I don't see how being inspired by it, especially considering the lack of derivative works recently, is surprising, or out of the ordinary (in the negative sense).

There's plenty of FPSs, "inspired" by Doom. No one is aghast at that. :p

*By which I meant to say, it has a simple concept.

Edited by Oner
  • Like 1

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1499900830/sir-you-are-being-hunted

This game is yet another exciting and funded KS upcoming release :)

Yaaaay, good times ahead for PC gaming

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dungeon Keeper was a game about building a dungeon and defending it* and it is a famous classic. I don't see how being inspired by it, especially considering the lack of derivative works recently, is surprising, or out of the ordinary (in the negative sense).

There's plenty of FPSs, "inspired" by Doom. No one is aghast at that. :p

*By which I meant to say, it has a simple concept.

What I meant was, that most games that make that sort of specific claim ("it's like DK!"), end up being garbage. Or at least, nothing special.

the point rather is, a lot of them will probably not be released. I'd love to see every game that gets funded be released eventually. but in reality chances of that are pretty slim

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'd be surprised if any of the 8 games I've backed fails. All are being developed by studios that have launched games, all have at least one lead on a launched product, and all got about 200% or over funding. A project I backed launched when it didn't have any of those points in its favour, so they're not a requirement.

Smaller teams of 3-5 are vulnerable. Teams that don't have experienced leads don't always manage time and resources well. Projects that just meet their goal don't have room for errors in rewards or development budgets. Developers that have never launched a game might struggle at the polishing, testing, crunch period. If I was going to back a game like that, I'd only back it for 15$, and would half expect it to fail.

I consider KickStarter a huge success, if you just count Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Chivalry, and FTL but the games coming next are even more interesting. Only 73 games have been funded for over $50k, I wouldn't even count games under that as failures if they don't launch.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/28/the-kickstarter-successes-where-are-they-now/

He seems really upset with the projects only updating their backers so far, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra