The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

The more I read and see of ROAM the more I get impressed and excited for it.  As soon as they confirm a Linux version (they're leaning toward it and they're using Unity) I'm going to jump on board.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

At The Gates

A 4X turn-based game where you play the Barbarians and have to take the place of the declining Roman Empire by capturing its capital. An interesting reversal of the standard Civ concept, and adds some new concepts: Supply lines are a major part of supporting your forces and the seasons have an actual impact on the environment and the resources it supplies.

It certainly seems to have sparked some interest. Nearly halfway to its $40,000 goal in one day.

I like it, but $25 for a copy, and $30 planned release price seems quite steep. Might watch the updates.

The funny thing is the game has magic and it's set across 200,000 years from no technology to the middle of the medieval period.

Wildman is T'lan Imass.

Oh my hat I am reading Toll the Hounds at the moment, I am loving the whole series. I didn't think too many people knew about Steven Erikson :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Golem, not sure what to make of this, the concept art looks great and their previous animation and art is impressive. They've made some iOS apps and animated short films, so their PC/Mac/Linux gaming credentials aren't impressive. No information on the gameplay mechanics apart from the abstract upgrade system of the golem. The goal and development time seems incredibly ambitious.

Hm... that is a very interesting looking pitch. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

The funny thing is the game has magic and it's set across 200,000 years from no technology to the middle of the medieval period.

Wildman is T'lan Imass.

Oh my hat I am reading Toll the Hounds at the moment, I am loving the whole series. I didn't think too many people knew about Steven Erikson :)

Was gonna comment that any pig-man race would be Jaghut, and any raptor-man race would be K'chain Che'malle, but held off. Good series... but I stalled mid-book... on Toll the Hounds.

• Like 1

The Golem, not sure what to make of this, the concept art looks great and their previous animation and art is impressive. They've made some iOS apps and animated short films, so their PC/Mac/Linux gaming credentials aren't impressive. No information on the gameplay mechanics apart from the abstract upgrade system of the golem. The goal and development time seems incredibly ambitious.

Six out of eight glasses worn in that video are hipster glasses. Hipster artist doesn't mean good artist, just means huge ego and no accomplishment*. Thou hast been warned.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Hm... that is a very interesting looking pitch. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Wildman is T'lan Imass.

Was gonna comment that any pig-man race would be Jaghut, and any raptor-man race would be K'chain Che'malle, but held off. Good series... but I stalled mid-book... on Toll the Hounds.

Its weird that we are on the same book in the 10 part series, I am about to finish but I agree that at times its not easy reading. Compared to George RR Martin which I found I couldn't put down

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I thought Dreamfall was really bad in terms of story, dialogue, voice acting, music, and especially gameplay. It hardly has any adventure gameplay, the gameplay like stealth or combat it does have is absolutely terrible. It also had so many loading screens like many Xbox titles, which was bizarre since it was released after the Xbox 360 was launched. The Longest Journey is one of the best adventure games ever made, it had plenty of flaws, but some of the art, dialogue, and plots were really good. You have to believe... this is going to be bad.

I liked Dreamfall. TLJ was surely superior, but I think I'm not a huge fan of adventure gameplay anyway - I often get stuck a lot and my main joy is in the story and seeing how things unfold. 

Backed at $20 for now, we'll see up or down as I see more updates.

Here's a relatively new kickstarter: Project Awakened

Looks like a modern-ish FPS with a design-your-own-character concept. Graphics look pretty decent.

A couple of updates posted: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened/posts

They're promising a big "create-a-player" update next time. Currently at $84K/$500k with 25 days left.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A round of updates from Kickstarter:

---

GPG has pulled the plug on Wildman and are seeking any remaining options for keeping the company viable.

---

Much more optimistically:

Unwritten is just $6,000 from being Kickstarted

Imagine King of Dragon Pass 2.0; a rogue-like, strategy-like, story-telling game

Pretty massive surge in the last few days; roughly 10% of their target every day for the past four days. Nine hours to go; hopefully it has the momentum needed to reach the finish line.

---

Cryamore is $10,000 from Linux support

An ode to classics like Zelda, Metroid, and more

They decided to bump Linux support down to a lower level, so it'll easily be reached either before or during the last-minute surge. They also claim there's some interest from the main consoles in getting the game, but they're not dropping support for them to a lower tier.

---

At The Gates funded in the first week

A Civ clone with an emphasis on logistics, where you play as the Barbarians conquering Rome

The initial surge wore off quickly, but their initial target was low enough that they already made their target. It wouldn't surprise me if they reached their modding stretch goals with ease.

---

Dreamfall heading for its target with ease

The third installment in the series.

They're at slightly over 80% of their initial goal in less than a week.

Asylum is doing well but needs a bit more help!

Looks like each backer (at $15 or higher) will get three separate game keys: Steam, GOG, and Desura. Something there to satisfy everyone!

See the update here and please consider supporting this game if you're into adventure, horror, Lovecraft, point and click, great storytelling, or anything of that nature! Or support it if you'd like to try something new!

Anyone else besides me support Star Citizen? If so, do you feel like RSI is starting to feel a bit nickle & dimey? I was pretty suspicious of the project at first because they mentioned private investors, but supported it anyway. I don't know, I guess I'm just very suspicious... Especially with the tricks we've seen large dollar publishers getting away with recently.

What do I mean? Here's one example of many...

A few months ago I read about Microsoft's filing of a patent on using a hands-free controller to determine the number of people in a room for the sole purpose of shutting off pay-per-view content if too many people are in the room. (Personally, I'd just unplug it.)

Then, a few days ago, I read the next XBox will have the following: Use once serial keys, persistent internet required, kinect connected and functioning required. People really should boycott the thing, but I feel like few will because "consumers in general" have no backbone.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Thats why I do not support companies with such behaviour, there is plenty of awesome games available DRM free without the need of online passes and with great storytelling...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Anyone else besides me support Star Citizen? If so, do you feel like RSI is starting to feel a bit nickle & dimey? I was pretty suspicious of the project at first because they mentioned private investors, but supported it anyway. I don't know, I guess I'm just very suspicious... Especially with the tricks we've seen large dollar publishers getting away with recently.

I'm going to be disappointed if they have a grind that people can pay to get out of, it's always bad for games when revenue models dictate gameplay. They're going to have to pay for their servers one way or another though, you can't expect them for free. Pretty sure you'll still have single player and private servers, I think that's the big difference, and the reason why I don't care so much. They say it's not "pay to win" but if they don't balance it correctly, and the grind is long and boring, it's "pay to win". I'm not really that interested in multiplayer games with grinding, levels, and unlocks, I like to start my play session with the same options as everyone else.

A few months ago I read about Microsoft's filing of a patent on using a hands-free controller to determine the number of people in a room for the sole purpose of shutting off pay-per-view content if too many people are in the room. (Personally, I'd just unplug it.)

Then, a few days ago, I read the next XBox will have the following: Use once serial keys, persistent internet required, kinect connected and functioning required. People really should boycott the thing, but I feel like few will because "consumers in general" have no backbone.

These haven't got anything to do with Star Citizen, and aren't really the same thing at all. The next Xbox won't have use once serial keys (that rumour actually about the next Office), definitely won't require always online DRM, and the only reason why the Kinect would be required would be if they switch the interface to it since every console will have one as standard. Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Sony is probably going to have something similar. Most publishers and devs are pretty determined to end the used game market.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

In 15 years, X-box will be scanning your retina and probing your anal cavity. I heard it from an inside source.

When talking anal cavity, "inside source" is an interesting choice of words.

:brows:

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks