The Kickstarter Thread

Tigranes

A round of updates from Kickstarter:

Dreamfall heading for its target with ease

The third installment in the series.

They're at slightly over 80% of their initial goal in less than a week.

Okay so Dreamfall did make it easily. Nice one

Its obvious that this saga has a loyal fan following, I have never played these games before so what about them is so good? I have read that they are deep and exciting adventure games but what are the reasons that you enjoyed them, if you have played them of course :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Its obvious that this saga has a loyal fan following, I have never played these games before so what about them is so good? I have read that they are deep and exciting adventure games but what are the reasons that you enjoyed them, if you have played them of course :)

I think it's like the TV show Medium, it's filled with stupid and nonsense, but the characters are believable and relatable. There's a lot of "normal" varied people, that may remind you of real people you know. TLJ is one of the best adventure games, Stark is a storied placed, it's got an industrial European town feel, and a Blade Runner style old and new synergy, Arcadia is like a cliché fairy tale (think Trine/Trine 2) that can be quite funny like the character Horatio and interesting in the case of the speciated dragons that are symbiotic. The gameplay is competent, with Myst style puzzles, and inventory puzzles, one is notorious for possibly being the worst such puzzle ever made.

Dreamfall is like that, with the stupid dialled up to Indigo Prophecy levels, and all the voice "actors" speaking like they're drama school students out of character. Probably the worst stealth and combat gameplay I've ever played, but it's trivially simple, I think they wanted to do an adventure game but were pressured into adding action elements they clearly didn't have the experience or talent to do. If Beyond Good and Evil is a 8, Dreamfall is a 2.

They say the story is mature and challenging, I can't say I agree at all. TLJ has mature "themes", like a character that swears a lot, a sexist character, and a sexually aggressive character. I think Dreamfall has swearing. It's not mature or challenging in the sense that it approaches subjects with respect and intelligence, it's really simplified, with a lot of stuff not making much sense.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1

I think it's like the TV show Medium, it's filled with stupid and nonsense, but the characters are believable and relatable. There's a lot of "normal" varied people, that may remind you of real people you know. TLJ is one of the best adventure games, Stark is a storied placed, it's got an industrial European town feel, and a Blade Runner style old and new synergy, Arcadia is like a cliché fairy tale (think Trine/Trine 2) that can be quite funny like the character Horatio and interesting in the case of the speciated dragons that are symbiotic. The gameplay is competent, with Myst style puzzles, and inventory puzzles, one is notorious for possibly being the worst such puzzle ever made.

Dreamfall is like that, with the stupid dialled up to Indigo Prophecy levels, and all the voice "actors" speaking like they're drama school students out of character. Probably the worst stealth and combat gameplay I've ever played, but it's trivially simple, I think they wanted to do an adventure game but were pressured into adding action elements they clearly didn't have the experience or talent to do. If Beyond Good and Evil is a 8, Dreamfall is a 2.

They say the story is mature and challenging, I can't say I agree at all. TLJ has mature "themes", like a character that swears a lot, a sexist character, and a sexually aggressive character. I think Dreamfall has swearing. It's not mature or challenging in the sense that it approaches subjects with respect and intelligence, it's really simplified, with a lot of stuff not making much sense.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply :) You have given me some excellent information

I love the TV series Medium and based on what you have mentioned I'll start with the first one

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

From Wil Wheaton's twitter:

I'm the lead character in a new videogame called There Came An Echo! If you want to know more, and maybe back it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iridiumstudios/there-came-an-echo-0

By Iridium Studios, who made Sequence (according to the KS page).

.....I know nothing about the game outside of what the KS says. Mostly, Wil in the videos made me geek-laugh. :p Altho, the voice control aspect is kinda interesting, even if I probably wouldn't be into it as a control mechanism. Still...who knows.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mage's Initiation

An Adventure/RPG inspired by the golden years of Sierra's adventure games. The game is apparently well into production, so there's a lot of material to look at. Most impressive about their post is a concise breakdown on what the money they're asking for will be used for; it seems like they have a fairly good idea of what they're getting into.

• Like 1

Mage's Initiation

An Adventure/RPG inspired by the golden years of Sierra's adventure games. The game is apparently well into production, so there's a lot of material to look at. Most impressive about their post is a concise breakdown on what the money they're asking for will be used for; it seems like they have a fairly good idea of what they're getting into.

Another Quest for Glory inspired Kickstarter?  Got my attention.

:dancing:

It's really easy to get my attention.  Just mention Sierra and instantly I'm listening. 

;)

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

From Wil Wheaton's twitter:

I'm the lead character in a new videogame called There Came An Echo! If you want to know more, and maybe back it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iridiumstudios/there-came-an-echo-0

By Iridium Studios, who made Sequence (according to the KS page).

.....I know nothing about the game outside of what the KS says. Mostly, Wil in the videos made me geek-laugh. :p Altho, the voice control aspect is kinda interesting, even if I probably wouldn't be into it as a control mechanism. Still...who knows.

I like Wil Wheaton, soundtrack samples, and that concept art, but I can't understand why anyone would want a voice controlled RTS unless they're disabled, in both arms and legs, because otherwise they could probably set something up that's better. Also the alternatives are keyboard or gamepay? For an RTS?

I hate rhythm games so I didn't play Sequence, but from the videos on youtube I watched around about the time it was released it seemed like a competently made game.

That goal seems a bit strange considering the money I would expect to be used for voice-acting and graphics, let alone all the other stuff. They say they've already invested money in which I assume went to the prototype, soundtrack, and concept art, and the gameplay might be virtually done with that prototype with basic 2d vector graphics. At the bottom of the page it says they've got a fall back plan to lower the graphic scope to the budget.

Mage's Initiation

Mage's Initiation

Another Quest for Glory inspired Kickstarter?  Got my attention.

:dancing:

It's really easy to get my attention.  Just mention Sierra and instantly I'm listening. 

;)

Okay this game looks well worth supporting, I like the way they describe the one encounter "Navigate a vast lake to encounter an evil so pure, not even beauty can disguise it" ...a siren?

I'll donate to this project, I hope Hurlshot reads this. This should be what he likes as he enjoyed Quest for Glory

• Like 1

John Milton 

Mage's Initiation

Himalaya Studios is the commercial arm of AGDI, who did the Kings Quest and Quest For Glory VGA remakes. They have a couple commercial releases too so they know what they're doing. Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just wonder how they're going to handle the pre-order situation.   Hope they don't forget the folks who floated their boat thus far.

Long before they put up this kick-starter, they were collecting $ for pre-orders of that game (Mage's Initiation).  The pre-order cost substantially less, but gained you what now amounts to the $100 level of contribution.  Who knew?  It's not that much money, but I'd hate to think it wasted; and it's hard to think kindly of someone who blows you off.  Guess we'll wait and see.

Edited by kalimeeri
  • Like 1

Wait, I... but that... what?

You got what amounts to an early-bird special; unless they're an extremely shady company, they're not going to abruptly cancel the pre-order, having already collected the money, and demand you donate on Kickstarter to get the same reward.

You got a better deal than those on Kickstarter will; live with the shame of being an early funder with extra perks. Live with it.

Edited by TSBasilisk

Rogue System, a space sim boasting a very hardcore and comprehensive approach to combat simulation.  I'm all for space sims making a "comeback" through Kickstarter, or whatever means.  However I'm as much, in fact more, into the trading and economic part of space sims, and this seems to be very combat focused.  Still, looks pretty cool.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

ROAM currently stands at 85,645 with just over 3 days to go.  This game is going to be awesome, but the more money it gets, the more awesome it can become.  So spread that word and beat that drum, everybody!

RolandChayer-DrumRollSmiley.gif

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I know it's not on kickstarter, but it's similar enough, you guys should check out this:

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

there's also 7 update videos and the alpha is playable for the backers.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

What I'm backing right now:

Music - Legends: Fantasy Violin - Album Release | At the time of this post: $3,720 pledged of $4,970 goal with 20 days to go. Check the video and updates for some track samples.

Design - Whiskey Rox - Beverage Chilling Stones | At the time of this post: $59,531 pledged of $2,500 goal with 11 days to go. Check the KS page and video for more details.

Edited by Archmage Silver

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Asylum has about four days left. They recently passed their funding goal and are looking to reach a few stretch goals. Here is a recent update with screenshots from gameplay, showing the open-sourced Dagon engine at work!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror/posts/411089

This game looks very playable, it reminds me of Amnesia. Nice one :)

John Milton 

Just launched:

XING: The Land Beyond

First-person puzzle game, looks like it's fairly well-developed at this point. The sticking point for me is that the money raised will be spent on software licenses and... attending game covnentions?

---

About to close out:

Cryamore

Last day if you want in (yes, I'm still pimping for this). They've hit stretch goals for Linux, Ouya, Android, and iOS support; the last goal is for the main consoles, and could realistically be hit before the final hour hits.

---

In post-project news:

Kickstarted documentary wins an Oscar!