What are you playing now?

I'm not sure how marketing is supposed to work over there, since here is zero "offline marketing", so to speak. I saw the Mad World TV spot for GoW 1 once, and that was it.

On the other hand, BD had plenty of trailers, which is my main contact with marketing.

No marketing can save such a game if you can't play with a real tough-ass.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaha Edited by Oner

I'm not sure how marketing is supposed to work over there, since here is zero "offline marketing", so to speak. I saw the Mad World TV spot for GoW 1 once, and that was it.

On the other hand, BD had plenty of trailers, which is my main contact with marketing.

Lots of exposure, I guess? Lots of crappy things sells with enough exposure, not that I think this will be crappy.

I've been playing Dead Island with a buddy - I was skeptic at first, but it's actually really fun in coop. It's kind of a mix between Dead Rising and Borderlands. You can customize a lot of the UI and luckily the developers made it optional whether damage, lvl of enemies etc is shown - because it's a lot more fun without and feels like a proper game instead of some MMO'ish zombie game..

Fortune favors the bald.

Pre-purchased Sleeping Dogs.

Which means it'll be another game that will turn out to be great but will bomb/be a small success.

What about gw2 then? ;)

Dunno, maybe it'll only earn them 1 million instead of 20? :<

I pre-ordered only because Oner did . :p

Why thank you. :lol: Edited by Oner

The only real trailers I've seen on TV are Blizzard Products, Call of Duty, and Bioware stuff. Admittedly I haven't had TV for about 3 years, but most of the stuff advertised is almost guaranteed to sell in the same way some movies are guaranteed to have good opening weekends

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So Nico was tough-ass? Not a single GTA PC has been that.

I'm glad someone finally made a martial art/open world sandbox game this gen. Nothing beats playing as a Bruce Lee wannabe.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

So Nico was tough-ass? Not a single GTA PC has been that.

I'm glad someone finally made a martial art/open world sandbox game this gen. Nothing beats playing as a Bruce Lee wannabe.

I always feel a little bit perplexed, or rather amused, that people take everything I'm saying so totally serious.

I say "tough-ass", and the vultures are all over me again.

Pre-purchased Sleeping Dogs.

Which means it'll be another game that will turn out to be great but will bomb/be a small success.

What about gw2 then? ;)

Dunno, maybe it'll only earn them 1 million instead of 20? :<

I pre-ordered only because Oner did . :p

Why thank you. :lol:

Had it on the radar for a while. Just saw the trailer which made up my mind. As long as I don't have to fill in paper work if I want to do anything illegal...

Since I'm suffering under cramped and non-ventilated areas with my pc at the moment.. I haven't really been able to spend chunks of time playing games.

Managed a short burst of Saints Row Third - ran the "Gangsta's in Spaaace! dlc which was somewhat amusing.

Getting some moments of Tor in.

Pondering whether I should re-arrange my budget (both time and finance wise) to get a copy of Skyrim or not now..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Gave the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 a try. It really really illustrates how much the base game needs the old rivalry and friendship mechanics back since it ended up with some literally impossible circumstances happening (Ned Stark as Aerys' Hand, hmm...) as well as some rather unlikely things- Tyrion Lannister, Hand of the King to Robert Baratheon, married to 'Anya' Stark while well known Machiavellian sociopath Catelyn Tully-Stark has murdered her way to the Kingship of the Riverlands and her son to the prince consortship of the Vale. Her grandson would be king of Vale/ North/ Riverlands in a few years. There are also a few continuity/ mechanics issues like Robert and Lyanna popping out babies while the war is still raging and she is canonically off with Poetic Dragon Boy having been 'kidnapped'.

The war of the Usurper/ Robellion works very well mechanically though, got one Rob victory and one Aerys one when Rob got captured in battle, and there is a huge amount of detail and accuracy in the character set ups- played as the Manderlys and got a persistent relationship gain with the Starks, the Brackens and Blackwoods hate each other, pretty much all the characters are in even if some choices are a bit questionable (like Ashara Dayne being depressed no doubt due to her supposedly killing herself) etc etc. The main problem at the moment is that as soon as the Robellion finishes nothing much seemed to happen in either of the run throughs I tried, as without friendships/ rivalries, specific events, much in the way of achievable claims, no White Walkers and without the stuff that drives a lot of issues in the base game either (religion/ crusades etc) there's a huge amount of inertia. Whereas in baseline CK2 you'll regularly have pages of current wars going on for most of the time post Robellion there were one or two minor ducal wars and that was that.

I'll say this though, it has literally the most potential for awesome I have seen in any mod ever.

Infamous 2 again.

Honestly there are two major things dragging this down for me.... 1 is something I went over before when I first got this, the other is something that's only really started nagging now.

The first is the Nix/Kuo dichotomy. The designer felt it was necessary that your "moral choices" also get a more human face... for some reason. Ant it ends up very shallow. With all of Kuo's options being "good" and all of Nix's being "bad", to a cartoonish extent, except the last choice, but that is an entirely different discussion (that I had a year or two ago).

The other is the enemies... or more specifically enemy mechanics. I've been playing on hard because the game auto-set there during the tutorial and I've been to lazy to change it, but I remember many of the enemies being this way on normal too. Basically once you get past the "Militia" section of the game you get two semi-consistant enemy types. Either you're fighting swamp monsters, or Ice soldiers (from south africa!). The issue with these guys is simple, most of their higher level enemies (that have more attacks than "SMACK A GUY!") effectively are the standard boss template of "shoot the spot when it shows, and run around like a ninny the rest of the time", BUT when they're vulnerable they're usually in the middle of an attack (the swamp guys are particularly egregious for this). So when you are fighting them you get in one or two shots then go flyyyying across the screen (with your camera trying to stay with you, getting your view distorted and then you get turned into a giant pasty on the wall). The two worst offenders are the highest level of the Swamp monsters, and the mid-level ice guy.

Swamp monster attacks and is wounded with ONE part of his body... his mouth. which leads to the above, so you have to wait until he opens wide, fire four grenades and run like hell. The ice guy is a little different, I've honestly yet to find a "basic" shot that can damage him, and he has attack chains that make it nearly impossible to line something up. He'll throw out a line of ice (a basic line shockwave style ability) then suck up some of that ice using the force, and fling it at you like you were in force unleasehed. If you're unlucky, he'll hit you with a line of ice, then charge you and ALWAYS hit you with the charge. So these non-boss fights quickly turn into "fling as many grenades as fast as you can at the guy, then RUN for the nearest energy point repeat until enemy might be dead or you have to re-do the fight... again"./

I'll post more tomorrow.

I'm almost finished with Deus Ex: HR which has been ok, and I finished a Witcher 2 Roche run.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm coming near the end of Game of Thrones, I think.

The level design is a little weird, in regards to quests. For instance, I'm at a point where time is of the essence. We *must* make it to King's Landing right away! But suddenly I've been given two sidequests that take me all the way to the Wall. These sidequests weren't available to me at an earlier time, when the story didn't necessarily place an importance on me arriving at a location in a prompt manner.

I know all RPGs tend to have this happen, where it kind of seems odd that the PC takes time out from a crucial mission to go fetch something. But in this case, the oddity is in the fact that there were multiple times before when I had a bit of ... "downtime" ... to go trotting around, but they (the developers) waited until time was of the essence before giving me these sidequests.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I know all RPGs tend to have this happen, where it kind of seems odd that the PC takes time out from a crucial mission to go fetch something. But in this case, the oddity is in the fact that there were multiple times before when I had a bit of ... "downtime" ... to go trotting around, but they (the developers) waited until time was of the essence before giving me these sidequests.

Maybe a deliberate design choice, with consequences to happen if you do take the time out to do them? Or by doing them it will alter the main quest in some way? I kind of doubt it, but you never know....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've restarted Path of Exile again, now that they've patched it heavily since I last played it (1,2 Gb of patches when I tried to login). Still the same game, but the enemies are much more difficult and diverse now. And they use the same skills as the players!

I like it more now. If only it had more content.. especially maps.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Maybe a deliberate design choice, with consequences to happen if you do take the time out to do them? Or by doing them it will alter the main quest in some way? I kind of doubt it, but you never know....

Possibly. We'll see. I've finished up both those sidequests and moved onto the main quest. So far, the main quest doesn't seem to be affected by me delaying it and going on a little side excursion instead.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Also, I'm finding the combat design is kind of silly. One on one (or even two on one), there isn't a single enemy I find challenging. Even the "boss fights" are a piece of cake. It seems the designers decided that the only challenging combat is when they put your one or two characters up against a group of 8 or so enemies, a few of which have bows/crossbows that they just keep at you with from across the room.

I really hate when games are designed like that. Combat shouldn't only be difficult because you're up against a hundred soldiers who are, on their own, quite easy to kill, but the sheer numbers of them and the fact they're constantly shooting at you/hitting you while you have to go through killing each and every one. I shouldn't have more problems defeating a horde of "redshirts" than I do defeating the big, bad boss man.

The fight I gave up on is a perfect example of this. All through the game one bad guy has been hyped up and made to be so uber-awesome. But finally, after 30 hours of tracking him down, I mowed through him in no time, barely losing any health along the way. Yet immediately after that climactic encounter, I'm faced with taking on a group of about 8 guards, 4 of which have long range weapons. So I keep getting killed because of the sheer numbers I'm facing, even though individually it takes way less damage to kill them than the boss fight.

Last choice in InFamous 2... and all I have to say to the person who told me different (think it was Tale) on this last mission... You don't get a guarantee that the RFI will work on the plague!

Still this is probably the best "moral choice" I've ever seen built into a game

Also, I'm finding the combat design is kind of silly. One on one (or even two on one), there isn't a single enemy I find challenging. Even the "boss fights" are a piece of cake. It seems the designers decided that the only challenging combat is when they put your one or two characters up against a group of 8 or so enemies, a few of which have bows/crossbows that they just keep at you with from across the room.

I really hate when games are designed like that. Combat shouldn't only be difficult because you're up against a hundred soldiers who are, on their own, quite easy to kill, but the sheer numbers of them and the fact they're constantly shooting at you/hitting you while you have to go through killing each and every one. I shouldn't have more problems defeating a horde of "redshirts" than I do defeating the big, bad boss man.

The fight I gave up on is a perfect example of this. All through the game one bad guy has been hyped up and made to be so uber-awesome. But finally, after 30 hours of tracking him down, I mowed through him in no time, barely losing any health along the way. Yet immediately after that climactic encounter, I'm faced with taking on a group of about 8 guards, 4 of which have long range weapons. So I keep getting killed because of the sheer numbers I'm facing, even though individually it takes way less damage to kill them than the boss fight.

Maybe it's due to your build. Aren't there some defensive builds that are less efficient on one on one fights but better against groups ?

Edit : All in all, I'm more interested on how you find the storytelling than the combat. I never really like combats in games.

Edited by Orchomene

I finished Deus Ex: HR and it was fun. Not a bad game at all even if a bit bland. Still, it did a lot of things right and maanged to stay close enough to the Deus Ex formula.

Boss battles and the final level were the only bits that were rubbish.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: