RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Nexon going to buy EA?

So, who is Nexon?

Probably because EA has been going to the dumps (at least in the stock market) over the past 2-4 years, and over the past year except for a slight bump right around when ME3 was released the stocks have continued on a downward trend. I would say EA may actually be tackling financial difficulties or will soon if they haven't already.

However, not certain how they would respond to Nexon's offer. In some ways it has to feel like a slap in the face to EA...on the otherhand, it depends on if EA thinks they'll break out of their rut soon or not on how seriously they decide to take it.

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't answer your question. They are an Asian company that make video games. Their most popular and famous is almost an anti-EA type game, being the cutsey and adorable Maple Story MMO, very popular in Korea and parts of Asia.

Edited by greylord

Dishonered seems interesting to me, primarily because I've always wondered why we don't see more games trying to emulate deus ex. This one seems to be aiming for that, and set in a non-cyberpunk setting. I hope it ends up being great, but its obviously way too early to say.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm curious as to where the Arkane love comes from, and in fact, how they've been able to survive. I liked Arx Fatalis but thought it was a rough gem, not a masterpiece, and I don't remember it selling a whole lot? Then there is Dark Messiah, which again I liked but was pretty shallow. Then they have a cancelled game, some work on Bioshock 2 (pfah), and other odds and ends.

I'm excited about Dishonoured and will probably preorder it, but just curious.

Probably because EA has been going to the dumps (at least in the stock market) over the past 2-4 years, and over the past year except for a slight bump right around when ME3 was released the stocks have continued on a downward trend. I would say EA may actually be tackling financial difficulties or will soon if they haven't already.

Capitalization does not represent company's state of affairs. If you want to look at how they're doing, go to http://investor.ea.com/ and download their annual report.

Capitalization is so detached from reality (it's simply a game of chance) that sometimes big companies have more in cash assets than their company capitalization is, and we're not even talking about the fact that those companies own buildings, machinery, etc most of the time.

• Like 1

Yeah, EA will face financial difficulties if it keeps losing money forever, but it still has significant amounts of money in reserve. And everything I've seen about Nexon suggests they simply don't have the money for a takeover, they'd be better off going for a smaller and far more desperate fry like THQ. I'd suspect the only companies with significant interest in EA would be 'Activision' (via Vivendi Universal) or someone with a potential extra reason for owning them- MS, Apple etc.

I'm curious as to where the Arkane love comes from, and in fact, how they've been able to survive. I liked Arx Fatalis but thought it was a rough gem, not a masterpiece, and I don't remember it selling a whole lot? Then there is Dark Messiah, which again I liked but was pretty shallow. Then they have a cancelled game, some work on Bioshock 2 (pfah), and other odds and ends.

They're small, which helps with survival. It also helps with PR (underdog) and their games have personality and appeal to a certain sector with has deep loyalty. They also had at least two cancelled games- allegedly System Shock 3, definitely for EA; and The Crossing- and would have got part paid for at least the former title.

Edited by Zoraptor

Piracy discussion went this way

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-01-rockstar-details-max-payne-3-dlc-pack-plan

Well now, that's what you can wait to get in some bundle or "Maximum Payne" edition.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra