SW: The Old Republic Part 3

To make sure Im clear....regarding Artificing, you can only buy a handfull of recipies from the vendor and are expected to learn new recipies solely by creating those recipies and reverse engineering what you just made and hoping a new recipie pops in the process?

go to artifice trainer and instead o' looking at trainable recipes, look at "all." you will see that approx every 20 point increase in artifice skill affords you new schematics. the more non-grey'd-out stuff you craft, the higher your artifice skill rises.

depending on the server, crafted crystals seems to be the items most in demand from artificers. one reason for this is simple that the jump between crystal improvements seem larger than that of enhancements and hilts. a purple 11 resolve hilt is probable gonna be useful for only a handful o' levels before higher level blues (and even greens) outstrip in efficacy. why pay big credits for a custom crafted hilt when you can probable get better simple by waiting til you get a few commendations from the next planet? and maybe part o' the demand for crystals seems to be 'cause folks is disproportionate concerned with the look o' their blaster fire or lightsabre beam. we were getting 20k-25k per crystal for the purple versions o' the level 49 crystals... and 250k for the violet crystals.

the only three crafting skills we would bother with (the serious credit hounds go all-out with gathering) is artifice, biotech and cybertech... but no doubt others will have different experience. heck, combine cybertech and slicing and you can corner the spaceship upgrade market with only a little effort. some wackos will also pay ridiculous amounts for the custom speeders cybertech can produce via those slicing schematics. bio produces very useful and saleable stims and medpacks... and that level 50 artifact reusable medpack looks very appealing. that being said, a jedi/sith character gets big benefit from artifice. enhancements can benefit all characters in your group... so too does crystals. very bang for buck.

as an aside, we also did synthweave up to a pretty high level and were relative disappointed.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think you can actually buy quite a few recipes from the vendor, the just don't show up until you have the appropriate skill level.

go to artifice trainer and instead o' looking at trainable recipes, look at "all." you will see that approx every 20 point increase in artifice skill affords you new schematics. the more non-grey'd-out stuff you craft, the higher your artifice skill rises.

D'oh. :banghead:

Im too set in my WoW ways. There, vendors show all wares and if you arent high enough to use it you just cant buy it until you are.

Apparently Bio is working on a texture patch to improve visual quality for those that have PC that can handle it, whether or not it's actually released is another story. But I would much rather be playing with better textures.

http://www.neoseeker...r-old-republic/

The textures right now could stand be better, here's hoping that makes it out.

Waiting on my other friend to hit 50, then I guess we run the flashpoint treadmill. PvP is just awful, endless Huttball and that map's a pain to be a sniper on.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apparently Bio is working on a texture patch to improve visual quality for those that have PC that can handle it, whether or not it's actually released is another story. But I would much rather be playing with better textures.

http://www.neoseeker...r-old-republic/

Tone in the linked article and tone in the actual thread are like fire and ice.

I have to say I'm one of those who are disappointed. Tip to increase performance was "lower your settings"... that's just so very stupid. No wonder the whole thread turned into ****storm of epic proportions.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I remember LotRO implemented a full graphics overhaul about a year after release, basically making it compatible with the newest version of DirectX. WoW has also done quite a bit over the years to improve the graphics quality, if I'm not mistaken.

There are definitely some issues with TOR performance wise. As with most MMO's, I'm guessing it will be a much smoother experience in a year. Everquest 2 was a complete mess when it came out, but I went back awhile ago and it has really come together performance and graphics wise.

I guess TOR needs a Trinity-style expansion.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember LotRO implemented a full graphics overhaul about a year after release, basically making it compatible with the newest version of DirectX. WoW has also done quite a bit over the years to improve the graphics quality, if I'm not mistaken.

There are definitely some issues with TOR performance wise. As with most MMO's, I'm guessing it will be a much smoother experience in a year. Everquest 2 was a complete mess when it came out, but I went back awhile ago and it has really come together performance and graphics wise.

WoW hasn't done to much overall, just minor optomization. It's just that the game is closing in on 10 years old and the graphics haven't been updated to stay "current" so everyone can play.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, you can buy a lot of green versions as you go along. But if you want the better ones (blues and purples) then it's done through RE. Some schematics are sold as blue or purple from the start, but those are the exception (and I believe those can't be reversed, but I'm not sure)

At least the blue "yellow crystal" ones can be reverse engineered into purple.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not disappointed, because TOR has performance issues. I'm disappointed, because Bio keeps blaming my hardware.

I'm not disappointed, because TOR has performance issues. I'm disappointed, because Bio keeps blaming my hardware.

You had that lag/command delay issue they've acknowledged and are working on, right? :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You had that lag/command delay issue they've acknowledged and are working on, right? :p

Lag/command delay and fps issues in warzones. The difference is how those two are treated by Bio. The delay issue was acknowledged to be at their end from the very beginning, but fps issue isn't. It's blamed on computers.

Well I managed to wrap up the "Lightspring" quest for the smuggler.

I have to admit , I loved the whole setup for it - I mean, you're tracking down a crime lord to talk to , and finally trail him to this hidden base, where you find a jedi and sith turn up for something the guy has in his "treasure hoard". But then it got a bit eh, off-the wall.

The Sith is played up as a rather femme fatale type, while the Jedi has that "uber-naivette" approach of someone raised by robots with no contact with actual humanity...

When the battle starts, you get the option to pretty much ally with either the Jedi or the Sith, and then of course the Crimelord is infuriated and wants everyone dead. And he spams healing on himself. Really ridiculous amount of spam-healing.

The trick I finally realised was that if you ally with the Jedi, she does one of those force lifts on the Fat-man, and then engages the Sith. But she has minimal threat. So you have to turn off all companion threat generation and area effect activities, then focus them on the Fat-man while he's locked up. Focus on him until he's dead, then finally you can turn on the Sith. If you don't, the merest, slightest hint of threat-generation causes them to turn on you and take you out in a very short space of time.

Seriously, the mission level is set at 27, and they were kicking my ass when I was 31, my companion was dead in under a minute, and I joined him in just a little over.. >_< Until I figured that trick out, I was beginning to get very irritated.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well I managed to wrap up the "Lightspring" quest for the smuggler.

I have to admit , I loved the whole setup for it - I mean, you're tracking down a crime lord to talk to , and finally trail him to this hidden base, where you find a jedi and sith turn up for something the guy has in his "treasure hoard". But then it got a bit eh, off-the wall.

The Sith is played up as a rather femme fatale type, while the Jedi has that "uber-naivette" approach of someone raised by robots with no contact with actual humanity...

When the battle starts, you get the option to pretty much ally with either the Jedi or the Sith, and then of course the Crimelord is infuriated and wants everyone dead. And he spams healing on himself. Really ridiculous amount of spam-healing.

The trick I finally realised was that if you ally with the Jedi, she does one of those force lifts on the Fat-man, and then engages the Sith. But she has minimal threat. So you have to turn off all companion threat generation and area effect activities, then focus them on the Fat-man while he's locked up. Focus on him until he's dead, then finally you can turn on the Sith. If you don't, the merest, slightest hint of threat-generation causes them to turn on you and take you out in a very short space of time.

Seriously, the mission level is set at 27, and they were kicking my ass when I was 31, my companion was dead in under a minute, and I joined him in just a little over.. >_< Until I figured that trick out, I was beginning to get very irritated.

That's the end of your act one? Or the midpoint between the four act 1 planets?

I know for the guardian that midpoint boss is the wake up call that you need to use EVERY SINGLE ABILITY YOU OWN in order to win.

Kick all of the casts

Pop defensive cooldowns like a madman

medpacks

stims

etc.

Even when you outlevel the jerk by 3-4 levels you'll still get trounced fast if you don't do much more than stab.

That's the end of your act one? Or the midpoint between the four act 1 planets?

I know for the guardian that midpoint boss is the wake up call that you need to use EVERY SINGLE ABILITY YOU OWN in order to win.

Kick all of the casts

Pop defensive cooldowns like a madman

medpacks

stims

etc.

Even when you outlevel the jerk by 3-4 levels you'll still get trounced fast if you don't do much more than stab.

That is the wrap up class-quest on Tattooine.. So I still have to wander onto Alderaan yet...

And yeah, I'd been using stims, medpacks, and the heroic "need active companion" ability as well..

You know, some of the DS vs LS choices are just so silly. I get it, Im a Sith, no mercy, kill everything. But there I was on Corellion confronted with the choice of cutting down the leader of this rodent-like race. He was defeated and begging for the life of his pack, even swearing fealty to the Empire and the choice was to kill him (DS) or let him go (LS). Choosing the LS option cost me -50 DS and -30 companion (Val, hes a cold hearted widowmaker). I stink at being evil.

You know, some of the DS vs LS choices are just so silly. I get it, Im a Sith, no mercy, kill everything. But there I was on Corellion confronted with the choice of cutting down the leader of this rodent-like race. He was defeated and begging for the life of his pack, even swearing fealty to the Empire and the choice was to kill him (DS) or let him go (LS). Choosing the LS option cost me -50 DS and -30 companion (Val, hes a cold hearted widowmaker). I stink at being evil.

Yep some are brainless, I killed the head of CEC rather than blackmailing him to work for the Empire, and similar type things on my IA storyline. Thana Vash was another dumb choice, you'd think it'd be LS to kill her as she's a raging death machine.

Think I'm just about done with the game, hit 50 already.

Think I'm just about done with the game, hit 50 already.

I don't know, I've hit 50 with one class, and still having fun playing through another class. I have to say I'm interested in looking at some of the others as well.

You know, some of the DS vs LS choices are just so silly.

Yeah.. My favorite has been in the smuggler starting planet, you get hired to find this missing kid by the kids parents. Turns out he had been kidnapped and drugged to make him do bad stuff. He feels bad for the things he has done and doesn't want to face his parents.

Light side: Give him money to get off the planet

Dark side: Try to convince him to return to his parents

mmmkay?

I don't know, I've hit 50 with one class, and still having fun playing through another class. I have to say I'm interested in looking at some of the others as well.

Thinking of replaying any on the Imperial side doesn't really seem that appealing, re-doing all the "kill $num of $mook" quests, etc. I might consider playing a Republic character, though, heh, PvP might be more than Huttball that way.

Thinking of replaying any on the Imperial side doesn't really seem that appealing, re-doing all the "kill $num of $mook" quests, etc. I might consider playing a Republic character, though, heh, PvP might be more than Huttball that way.

For the record, it's probably best to do Rep-imp-rep-imp-rep-imp with different classes each time (so no Consular then Inquisitor or BH then Trooper one right after the other) because otherwise you're gonna be either doing the same "regular" questin, or the same class mechanics repeated.

Edited by Calax

I thought they addressed the fps problems too? I swear I read something about how they are working on the fps drops in your starships and other odd places.

You're not hearing what I'm saying. Warzones aren't odd places to have fps drops according to bio. In theory this is true, but if my computer(slightly better than recommended specs) can't play 8vs8 warzone in a Massive Multiplayer Online game at playable fps then it is a ****ty mmo.

Edited by kirottu