FO: L(not N)V

Volourn

I will do a full review later but I felt the ned to give my thoughts on this game. This thread is just for some quick cons and pros of this Obsidian game. Plus, this page needs less threads focused on that **** and more on this ****.

This, btw, is coming from someone who has hated the last 3 (AP, DS3 & SOZ) Obsidian releases. I'm 30 hours in.

CONS:

- getting shot in the head at start of game and surviving equals bull****.

- this might be a 360 only problem but the darkness level inside structures is way too dark where you literally can't see anything. Brighten it up or give us actual light sources please.

- **** of Ceaser assassin ****heads. GET THE STUPID MESSAGE: I MURDERED THE LAST 10 GROUPS YOU SENT AFTER ME AT THIS POINT YOU ARE GIVINJG ME FREE EQUIPMENT BUT WASTING MY TIME

- combat game play is sloppy at best

POSITIVES:

- outside of the point above, the start is very awesome and sets up greta motivation for character and Goodsprings is one of the best intro areas ever

- character system is top notch obviously due to it being special

- writing is (mostly) some of the best ever. Surely beats the piss over the overrated DS3, AP, KOTOR2, and SOZ writing

- fanction useage is mostly well done

- lots of fun and interetsing character

- best free world game ever: 30 hours in with lots more to explore and most importantly, I actually want to see the different places

- very good use of skill for both reolsution of quests/dialogue and mostly decent reperccusions: chocies can cencel out other quests or lead to others

- i like the fact most shopkeepers actually have a semblance of a personality and aren't there *just* for shopping (most of the time).

- Freeside is a fantastic town to explore

- variety in equipment is pretty damn good

- joinable npcs are awesome (at least the ones I've encountered) though I wish ED-E would be more interactive

- damn good game

- hardcore mod is HELLA fun

My character is focused on energy weapons, speech, and science (tech geek). I'm pro NCR (laws cna help and any negativty in the organization cna eventually be purged), and the Followers for their willingness to help the masses and share tech. I have a softspot for the King and am annoyed with the Bros despite their love of tech because they are selfish **** who need to be more willing to share their toys. Stupid jerks. I am level 15 currently weiling a the repeater laser poster and the basic energy rifle, and wearing Combat Armour MDK2. I own power armour but need training to wear it. My current companions are ED-E and Victoria. I also traveled with Boone for a bit and will eventually fix Rex for my buddy The King. My play through I have my character only eating clean food and drinking clean water. No poison crap in this body. Clean food is not always easy to find and sadly I had to stuff my face with poison once but now I have a bunch of clean food. YAY!

Stay tuned for when I finally beat the game and then I'll lay waste with my final AAA judgement.

Laterz.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

glad you are liking it, that was definitely my favorite open world rpg.

i hope obsidian gets to work on fallout 4, 4.5, or the elder scrolls 5.5

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"Hold 'B' to turn on the Pipboy light. "

I'm dumb. :)

This makes indoor areas espciially caves and vaults much less frustrating. LMFAO There've been times I've had to rage out of playing simply because I could not see anything but grren. This way, things are still dark - as it should be -m but playable.

RTFM I did but this is info I didn't think to remember. HAHAHAHAHA!

Pipboy became even more cool. :)

Thanks. ;)

Why not call it Fallout:FLV? It's Fabulous Las Vegas, after all.

Maybe better is Fallout:WtFLV, to make it more complete.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm just somewhat astonished that Volourn likes anything even remotely connected to a Bethesda open-world rpg.

Next thing I know Volourn will be posting that Skyrim > Bioware.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Fat chance of that happening. ES series, Bethesda, and Skyrim are plain 'ol ****.

Despite being heavily critical of Obsidian's past few games, I've always liked them since they actually have a good side. Betehsda is the worst successful game company ever. It was Bethesda that kept me away from Fo:LV so long.

there's a better chance of me liking a Barbie game or one of those lame rockband type games than a Betehsda crap piece. Take your Betehsda fanboyism trolling elsewehere. This is a Obsidian FO:LV thread and we don't need that trash bringing things down.

I agreed with most of your points, Vol. I enjoyed Ne--- I mean Las Vegas quite a bit also.

I've only played it straight with a little of the Dead Money dlc thrown in. Have you tried any mods or dlc?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

No. I might just give my current copy to someone for Christmas and selfishly buy the new alL DLC iinclusive version coming out next year.

I'm not a huge fan of buy DLCs indivdually. I haven't even bought all the BIO NWN-ME-DA series DLC/premium mods.

I have the 360n version so obviously no mods. And, I would never used a mod first time playing a game, anyways,

Hate to burst your bubble, mate. But I know a fellow who was shot in the head and survived. Bullet hit his temple and slid round the bone came out the back. FACT. I've seen the holes.

Further, the entire discipline of neuropsychology was founded on people being shot in the head and surviving.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Vol said he had the 360 version, so he should be able to second hand gift it to someone. I don't know if I'll try to pick up the individual dlc or buy the ultimate edition. I'll probably be a sucker and pick up the ultimate edition since I only have one of the dlc.

As for the getting shot in the head thing, I was going to mention something along the lines of what Wals said. I mean, I think Benny is a terrible shot, but it could have happened that he thought he'd killed the courier when in fact he'd missed any vital bits.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There are quite a few people who have survived gunshot wounds to the head. Their faces usually look pretty terrible, but that works well with the facial creator in this game.

Heck, there are people who have fallen out of airplanes without parachutes and survived, so nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

Just because it's not completely impossible doens't mean it's still not silly and over the top. So many better ways to handle the same situation. As for Benny being a horrible shot.. ieven if that were true, he's shooting at a bound person. Plus, he didn't miss. It just reeks of over the top 'chosen one' cheesiness. It's not needed. The opening intro was very good otherwise.

The game ceratinly isnt half bad. Without the companions, though, it would be pretty boring.

I realized recently that Skyrim has made me miss FNV's companions quite a bit. Not quite enough to replay FNV (tho I keep thinking about it) but yeah...something about Skyrim (and the companions in it that I've seen) turns me into a lone wolf.

Obsidian makes awesome companions that for me end up being half the fun of the game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Apparently you have a 2% chance of surviving a headshot, which is pretty good.

Lucky he didn't shoot twice.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Since when is 2% considred 'good'? That's horrible odds. And, that % is also based on based likely on getting quick medical attention (not a robot having to dig you up and drag your butt to a doctor in some random town).

The more you silly tools try to spam such nonesne like giving examples of MIRACLE SURVIVORS doesn't make it any more reasonable or repectful. The opening would have been more effective if handled better.

Period.

Phineas Gage says hello.

Phineas_gage_-_1868_skull_diagram.jpg

Hi, Phineas Gage!

EDIT: Volo really is in the premier league of trolls. I nearly took his rejoinder seriously. :blink:

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.