SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

Does the dialog wheel actually do anything or are the results already predetermined? For example, during the

"turn the padawan to the dark side" quest chain I mostly handled her with kid gloves but there were choices to or you could be mean to her but for the first time in the game I had my illusion of choice shattered as it seems no matter how you treat her, she will join you in the end. Theres nothing you could do to cause her to not join you.

Does the dialog wheel actually do anything or are the results already predetermined? For example, during the

"turn the padawan to the dark side" quest chain I mostly handled her with kid gloves but there were choices to <shock> or you could be mean to her but for the first time in the game I had my illusion of choice shattered as it seems no matter how you treat her, she will join you in the end. Theres nothing you could do to cause her to not join you.

It does and it doesn't. There are some things that you choose, that will change the way things happen, even if part of the result is the same. And there will be references to which path things went along to get to that conclusion. Part of it also based that originally, they were setting it up so that it was possible to not pick up companions, or even for them to get so disgusted they'd leave you, or you could kill them. Apparently early beta testing had that going down like a holed submarine, so they changed it to be more.. acceptable to the majority of players.

If I recall, it's also possible to get early affection bonuses or losses with Ashara depending on which approach you used.

Apparently you can chase after a holocron and gift that to her, and use that to try tempting her to the dark side.. While I set up another group of Sith to try to kill her, so I could protect her from them. Then played it with a more "not-so-dark" sith who was willing to go to the jedi temple in an attempt to banish the force ghost there. So when I arrived at the temple, her masters tried to kill me rather then permit some "dark side ritual", and I got to claim self-defence after slaughtering them.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well at least you get to choose the dialog...

Oh, wait

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

For another slice of news..

At over 200,000 lines of recorded dialogue, the game has scored a record for having the largest amount of voice acting not only for a video game but for any entertainment project. The record appears in the Guinness Book of World Records Gamer's Edition, on the stands now in the US and on sale in the UK on the 19th.

Give it up Boo, you know you want to join us :p

Oh I do want to play a decent RPG but I'm hungry for something that's not out of Bethesda's or Bioware's kitchen. Its just been one doughnut too many and I WANT CAVIAR!

The real trick in BW games is when you unwittingly become gay. Don't blink or you might miss it. And then you'll be struck wondering why Jabba is looking at you like that.

jabbatongue.jpg

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

If I recall, it's also possible to get early affection bonuses or losses with Ashara depending on which approach you used.

Apparently you can chase after a holocron and gift that to her, and use that to try tempting her to the dark side.. While I set up another group of Sith to try to kill her, so I could protect her from them. Then played it with a more "not-so-dark" sith who was willing to go to the jedi temple in an attempt to banish the force ghost there. So when I arrived at the temple, her masters tried to kill me rather then permit some "dark side ritual", and I got to claim self-defence after slaughtering them.

Interesting.

I took the holocron path and in the end fight the dude who was helping us set her up, shows up and turns on us, so you have to kill him.

And shame on you for conversation cheating. The most memorable part of the game to me so far was when I was finishing up the questline where you get the first companion. I was on autopilot and when we met the last bad guy I just cut him down. This caused (I cant remember his name) to go off and scream about that being his kill and that I had robbed him of it. I actually felt kinda bad about it but I accept the lumps.

Actually I've found that post Alderaan you start to be the exact level. For most of chapter 1 and 2 I was about 3 levels higher , and then suddenly I was just on the level and maybe getting a level higher halfway through..

If I was regularly doing flashpoints that might change...

I'm about to go to taris and I am level 35. To a planet that is 32-36 I think. So still a bit ahead. Only done two flashpoints, but all heroics. We even skipped Nar Shaddaa bonus series so we wouldn't run further ahead.

Nar Shaddaa bonus series doesn't open up till your about level 35. From around 30+ most of the bonus series don't open up until you're returning to the worlds at a later point in the class story.

narshadda bonus becomes available at 29 or 28. is a tough slog, but can be done at that level.

btw, dont poke any dead jedi corpses on taris.

alderaan (sp) has the most obscure bonus location and level. the initial offer occurs on the fleet space station, and is a level 34 quest to contact some lord in house thul. the bonus missions actual start at level 40. weird. some random bald woman on the fleet space station offers the bonus set for alderaan? why?

am surprised to have not seen complaints about the foundry flashpoint mission on this board. admittedly, our biggest complaint were that the sadists at bio clear were making a sick practical joke when they set it as a level 37 mission. nevertheless, am betting that more than a few kotor2 fans is miffed by foundry.

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

cheating. The most memorable part of the game to me so far was when I was finishing up the questline where you get the first companion. I was on autopilot and when we met the last bad guy I just cut him down. This caused (I cant remember his name) to go off and scream about that being his kill and that I had robbed him of it. I actually felt kinda bad about it but I accept the lumps.

Well I try to use it only when I think "ah, that means I'll say something snarky and cutting" and then it turns out that bioware dialogue comes out as ignorant lout, which is really not what I wanted.

Heh, I'd actually remembered how he wanted to kill the guy and did that, you got a major boost of affection for letting him off the guy. Of course, I haven't used Andronikos for anything beyond crew missions since then..

Yeah, I actually solo'd the Boarding Party flashpoint yesterday. Since you have to do that before The Foundry, and whenever I've been on the Fleet station I never see people wanting to do Boarding Party. So I ended up forgetting about it, and then remembering I had it..since I was about 10 levels above it I just ran through it without too much hassle. Of course, then I get back to the Fleet..and suddenly there were a whole bunch of people wanting to form groups to do that flashpoint.. :p

Hm, I don't think I've actually done the Alderaan or Hoth bonus series either.

The real trick in BW games is when you unwittingly become gay. Don't blink or you might miss it. And then you'll be struck wondering why Jabba is looking at you like that.

Boo, you really shouldn't blame Bioware for "that one time in gym class" you had. Perhaps Morgoth can hook you up with his shrink, he seems a lot better-adjusted, these days...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

cheating. The most memorable part of the game to me so far was when I was finishing up the questline where you get the first companion. I was on autopilot and when we met the last bad guy I just cut him down. This caused (I cant remember his name) to go off and scream about that being his kill and that I had robbed him of it. I actually felt kinda bad about it but I accept the lumps.

Well I try to use it only when I think "ah, that means I'll say something snarky and cutting" and then it turns out that bioware dialogue comes out as ignorant lout, which is really not what I wanted.

Heh, I'd actually remembered how he wanted to kill the guy and did that, you got a major boost of affection for letting him off the guy. Of course, I haven't used Andronikos for anything beyond crew missions since then..

Yeah, I actually solo'd the Boarding Party flashpoint yesterday. Since you have to do that before The Foundry, and whenever I've been on the Fleet station I never see people wanting to do Boarding Party. So I ended up forgetting about it, and then remembering I had it..since I was about 10 levels above it I just ran through it without too much hassle. Of course, then I get back to the Fleet..and suddenly there were a whole bunch of people wanting to form groups to do that flashpoint.. :p

Hm, I don't think I've actually done the Alderaan or Hoth bonus series either.

Hoth bonus is level 47.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"The real trick in BW games is when you unwittingly become gay. Don't blink or you might miss it. And then you'll be struck wondering why Jabba is looking at you like that."

I know you are doing it on purpose (the fact you are Boo explains everything) but you can't 'accidentally' become gay in BIO games or in RL. If youa re gay justa dmit it. Nothing to be ashamed about in 2012. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Awww Volourn >_<

Btw the game must really be of average quality when the metacritic grade is only 86.

If EA couldn't bribe critics to get it into the 90+ range in this day and age you know something stinks.

Gromnir! Deathdealer! I want an honest opinion!

Have to admit, some of the Voss quests are kind of irritating. Interesting, but irritating. They seem to have a knack for having you go into "meditative trances", send you on "dream-walks" and then set you up with a series of elite opponents in quick succession - and of course every time you die, you have to wake up at the medcenter, which requires a chunk of travel to get back to the point you can go into the meditative trance and then back into the quest...

On the flip side, hit a point in companion romance where it had a fade out to black.. then it fades back in with the companion in question getting dressed and merrily humming the "imperial march" to herself. That hit my humour side.

Guest Slinky
Gromnir! Deathdealer! I want an honest opinion!

Well. I was kinda anti MMORPG earlier (without ever even trying one). Then for some reason this one started interest me and got it day one. Been hooked ever since.

It's not some awesome uber game from heavens that shines in everything, but I've had really fun time with it.

Anyone else finding it hard to stay at the recommended level without grinding? Done every mission but 2(not including flash/heroic) on Tatooine but I'm only halfway through level 27(started 25). Every world before this raised me from min requirement to above requirement for the next world. I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Have to admit, some of the Voss quests are kind of irritating. Interesting, but irritating. They seem to have a knack for having you go into "meditative trances", send you on "dream-walks" and then set you up with a series of elite opponents in quick succession - and of course every time you die, you have to wake up at the medcenter, which requires a chunk of travel to get back to the point you can go into the meditative trance and then back into the quest...

the elites come in separate "pulls," so the quick succession point is a non-factor. that being said, the encounter were no sunday afternoon stroll. we is over-leveled and we had to work fast to keeps from dying. however, we is a mmorpg n00b, so take for what is worth.

as for drowsy query...

dunno how to respond exactly. am so very disinterested in numbers evaluations in reviews. is peculiar to read a review that slams a game in the text portion, and then somehow ends up giving a 8/10 or 85/100. is even worse when the critics break game into categories such as Gameplay and Graphics... give scores for each attribute. we typical ignore the scores provided by reviewers.

as for the game and our opinion...

the companion interactions and core story for sith inquisitor is a bit shallow. is not bad, but is just nothing that stands out as excellent neither. the game is buggy. is not $15-a-night-hotel-room buggy, but is annoying when companions inexplicably die when transitioning between areas, or when fps sudden drops to teens for no obvious reason. is not a sp game... am paying a subscription (sorta) so we should not need to endure bugs, or three nights in a row o' maintenance to fix problems. is some serious exploits for xp and cash and the pvp crowd annoys us to no end... even on pve servers.

etc.

am level 50 and have done all but one heroic on voss... probable 2/3 done with voss. so we has obviously played a bit. would be ridiculous to be claiming that the game sucks and that we is just getting our 30 days worth. am currently having fun... particular with the heroics. a good group is making the group missions quite enjoyable. that being said, am not certain we will be able to maintain interest beyond 30 days. the story stuff simply aint compelling enough to inspire us to wanna slog all the way to 50 again with a bounty hunter or consular.

am thinking we could do a full review once we has completed the inquisitor story. might be worth it just 'cause we gots no genuine previous mmorpg experience... am relative untainted by expectations. might be a mystifying read.

maybe.

HA! Good Fun!

ps to answer bos... no. am not grinding. the game dont reward you for doing so. that being said, we tends to do all available planet missions and flashpoints. as such, we has typical been 3-5 levels above the target range.

Edited by Gromnir

I haven't grinded, or done flashpoints, or most of the heroics, and I still find myself at the right level range. I did notice that I was about a level short for Tatooine (I heard you want to be 25 for a speeder on that planet, which was very true), so I went back to Taris and finished the Bonus series, and that pushed me well into the range.

Do a couple space missions if you find yourself a level short, they give a surprising xp boost, they are short, and they can be a nice detour. I've only done about 3 of them, but I found they helped me jump a level.

*chuckle*

space missions is ok... though the level 44 one that claims we need rank 3 mods, has stumped us.

if you really want some cheap xp, give gifts to your companions. lots o' gifts. can get cheap at galactic trade... or as the vets say, the AH. the cheapest gifts are, ironically, the most efficient on a per credit basis. though once you get to 4k or 6k affection (we forget which one), you will no longer get any mileage from rank 1 gifts. is paying for experience. is stoopid. it works.

HA! Good Fun!

*chuckle*

space missions is ok... though the level 44 one that claims we need rank 3 mods, has stumped us.

if you really want some cheap xp, give gifts to your companions. lots o' gifts. can get cheap at galactic trade... or as the vets say, the AH. the cheapest gifts are, ironically, the most efficient on a per credit basis. though once you get to 4k or 6k affection (we forget which one), you will no longer get any mileage from rank 1 gifts. is paying for experience. is stoopid. it works.

HA! Good Fun!

I get all my companion gifts by sending them on missions. I've trained them in investigation. I never even noticed that you get xp for giving gifts, I'm just trying to woo my cold fish female partner.