RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/09...-spare-time.ars

Another interesting story from game industry...

Isn't that pretty standard for software? Companies don't want to have to compete with their own employees. Or risk employees taking ideas from the job, expanding them in their free time. Or have employees passively sabotage current projects so they can sell an improved product they made on their own.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

For me that comes as a surprise, that something like this can even be forced to employees... It's 6 years ago when I stopped to work as a programmer, but I never heard about something like this... Now I work for a corporation and I do not have anything like this in my contract... Though I do not work with creation of IP.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

For me that comes as a surprise, that something like this can even be forced to employees... It's 6 years ago when I stopped to work as a programmer, but I never heard about something like this... Now I work for a corporation and I do not have anything like this in my contract... Though I do not work with creation of IP.

Basically it's what tale said in a nutshell. Companies don't want to have to deal with the issues of having an employee being paid by them to create his own thing that he'll sell for a million. I think engineering companies have similar clauses that control IP of their inventors.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Basically it's what tale said in a nutshell. Companies don't want to have to deal with the issues of having an employee being paid by them to create his own thing that he'll sell for a million. I think engineering companies have similar clauses that control IP of their inventors.

But they are not being paid by them to work on their own project, its their free time. Its not even if they use resources from the company that they are working for at the moment, its an automatic measure. It seems too extreme, it will probably kill what little creativity this industry has.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Good, let the shizzle burn down to the ground. It can only become better after that.

I'm not sure that a step backwards its the best thing, I feel that may kill any form of legitimacy the medium could aspire to have. I'll say what I always say when I hear a horror story from the game industry "its time to get this **** unionazed"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Going by the Giant Bomb Quick Look, Dead Island seems to be doing quite a few Dark Messiah things that you don't see too often.

Looks good. I may have to see if I can find time to give this one a go.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

But they are not being paid by them to work on their own project, its their free time. Its not even if they use resources from the company that they are working for at the moment, its an automatic measure. It seems too extreme, it will probably kill what little creativity this industry has.

They've been doing it in other creative mediums (as I mentioned, engineering stuff and inventions) as well as including such things as "no competition" clauses for employment contracts every so often.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

They've been doing it in other creative mediums (as I mentioned, engineering stuff and inventions) as well as including such things as "no competition" clauses for employment contracts every so often.

Yeah...I don't know that much about engineering but it doesn't sound like that much of creative job. At least is not one where people go into with a need to express their own vision and create for themselves rather than commercially. So now that everyone wants to regard games as art the least they could do its give the same treatment, I don't see actor's contracts neglecting them from having other roles. On the contrary they bend over backwards to accommodate production for star power.

Not saying that's how it should be, but there is no artistic medium that forbids you from pursuing your own interests on your own time.

More so the publishers should grow the **** up and stop acting like they are designing top secret projects for the pentagon, its easier to get a word from those guys that have anyone spill their guts about a game, a game for god's sake.

village_idiot.gif

Mmh, even I have that clause in my contract. Perfectly normal, and not new.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

But you are lawyer... WTF?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'm an academic lawyer, I do research and write books, which means that the intellectual property rights between myself and the place of my employment have to be carefully managed.

It's quite common actually. I have a 3 month clause in my contract too. One of the big-wigs at a previous employer had a 12 month non-competitive clause. When he left, he spent the next 12 months finally getting his fence fixed.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's quite common actually. I have a 3 month clause in my contract too. One of the big-wigs at a previous employer had a 12 month non-competitive clause. When he left, he spent the next 12 months finally getting his fence fixed.

True, I wasn't even considering the flat-out no-compete clauses, I was merely thinking about the "who owns the IP you create during your time here, and who gets free licenses" clauses. :)

I was merely thinking about the "who owns the IP you create during your time here, and who gets free licenses" clauses. :)

Ah yes, those too. After a decade or two, you sort of get used to them and don't even think about them. I feel old now :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A lawyer told me that according to Danish law, the company has to keep paying you indefinitely if they intend to prevent you from using contacts you gathered while working there. And if they stop paying then the non-competitive clause is effectively ended. Seems the unions won big here.. Don't know if that good however. :) Does these clauses protect the market or mainly the employer?

Fortune favors the bald.

A lawyer told me that according to Danish law, the company has to keep paying you indefinitely if they intend to prevent you from using contacts you gathered while working there. And if they stop paying then the non-competitive clause is effectively ended. Seems the unions won big here.. Don't know if that good however. :) Does these clauses protect the market or mainly the employer?

I don't think it's related so much to unions, as to general freedom of employment etc. I've not heard of a no-compete agreement standing up where the period is either indefinite or you're not compensated during that time.

I had a model friend who had an clause in the contract with her agency that she wouldn't go to work for any of the agency's clients... I was feeling pretty good about it not standing up in court, but an agreement was reached. :)

non-compete clauses in the US can sometimes be for 6 months or a year. no compensation during that time either. sometimes they are restricted to a region only though, so you could move out of state or something to start your own competing company (obviously wouldnt work for internet companies...)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Chris Roberts making return to games, possibly new Wing Commander? (German)

Chris Roberts, a principal in Bl!nk Media International Ltd., wants to make a video game that would take years to build and require full-time workers. But Michigan could lose out to Quebec if Bl!nk's application for $12.3 million in tax credits isn't approved soon, Roberts said. Bl!nk plans to hire 112 residents and spend $31.1 million here. "There'd be multiple games," Roberts said. "We'd be creating long-term employment in Michigan."

*Groan* >_

Sometimes the dead are just better left dead. The world really doesn't need more generic FPS games.