London Riots

Nightshape

What about the Sun?

Boobs, that's all they have.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This surprising and awesome piece from the Telegraph swayed me in my seat:

"The moral decay is as bad at the top as the bottom"

A great deal has been made over the past few days of the greed of the rioters for consumer goods, not least by Rotherham MP Denis MacShane who accurately remarked, ?What the looters wanted was for a few minutes to enter the world of Sloane Street consumption.? This from a man who notoriously claimed ?5,900 for eight laptops. Of course, as an MP he obtained these laptops legally through his expenses.

Yesterday, the veteran Labour MP Gerald Kaufman asked the Prime Minister to consider how these rioters can be ?reclaimed? by society. Yes, this is indeed the same Gerald Kaufman who submitted a claim for three months? expenses totalling ?14,301.60, which included ?8,865 for a Bang & Olufsen television.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

See what they should have done is evict Kaufman from his house and move in a family from the estate. True social mobility, both up & down. If they followed that procedure each time people wouldn't feel so frustrated.

Now they're fast tracking looters with charges of burglary, with the crown court operating throughout the night to sentence them to automatic jail time - be nice if they did the same with politicians.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I think they should introduce some new events for the London Olympics next year. Such as the 'petrol bomb throw', the '200m stolen goods relay' and the 'break in and loot foot locker time trial'. England are gold medal favourites for all of these events.

Well, local newspaper yesterday showed a few rioteers. And well, most have jobs. One even was a millionaire?s daughter.

Really makes it hard to keep believing it?s because "people can't find jobs anymore"... as has been claimed since it became apparent it wasn't about random dude we now forgot...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, local newspaper yesterday showed a few rioteers. And well, most have jobs. One even was a millionaire?s daughter.

Really makes it hard to keep believing it?s because "people can't find jobs anymore"... as has been claimed since it became apparent it wasn't about random dude we now forgot...

The police caught one guy who had actually driven up from Winchester to get to London for the "looting"... 8)

But now they've actually doing things like evicting tenants from Council Houses who were involved in the riots and looting.

Which could have some.. interesting fallout. But I guess it's one form off added "punishment".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The police caught one guy who had actually driven up from Winchester to get to London for the "looting"... 8)

But now they've actually doing things like evicting tenants from Council Houses who were involved in the riots and looting.

Which could have some.. interesting fallout. But I guess it's one form off added "punishment".

Punish individuals, not families.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Is it just them or everyone in there with them ? I guess it does satisfy this need for 'retribution' the media here keep saying Brits seek

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is it just them or everyone in there with them ? I guess it does satisfy this need for 'retribution' the media here keep saying Brits seek

I think the first one that was on the news was the rioter and his mother. It's legally part of the council's lease with anyone they provide a subsidized council flat for, that criminal activity committed by any member of the household can result in eviction.

But it's rare for it to actually happen. I think part of it is pushing the whole "parents should be responsible for their kids" so they're doing the whole..maybe now parents will realise that if their kids screw up like this, it's possible for the parents to suffer.

Oh, that's a good solution then.

Chucking people out of council homes is perhaps justifiable but it's retard grade inconsistent. You're quite entitled to one if you stab some fellah, but not if you loot, apparently.

Nevertheless, it makes sense to send a shot across the bows of anyone who decides to go to war with society if society goes to war with them. Genuinely can't help feeling sorry for the family who's had it done to them first. Given how soft we usually are this will have come as an awful shock.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wait, there are repercussions to your actions? Shocking!

In a lot of Western European criminal justice systems, people will be shocked when they first find that. Generally when a half-dozen suspended sentences suddenly get activated at once. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Wait, there are repercussions to your actions? Shocking!

:p

Hurlshot, you're a teacher. Punching a kid in the face for swearing will certainly send a strong message to the other kids not to do it. But you'll admit that it could be rather shocking the first time.

The whole premise of a 'tariff' system is that if you commit crime X then you receive punishment Y +/- Z Not punishment D and a kick in the pants.

-Elwood Blues

lord knows we don't wanna be the voice o' reason, but am always concerned 'bout the near inevitable backlash. citizen Z throws a brick through the window o' an electronics store (no shop keep present) and steals a toaster oven. such an act is deserving o' punishment, but it seems that the demands for retribution is far greater today than they was in July o' 2011. perhaps level o' criminalization does need to be reexamined, but am not certain is folks is thinking clear 'bout the issues at this time. am not suggesting that doing nothing is appropriate. however, am observing that impassioned lawmaking is fraught with peril. no matter how well-intentioned is the law meant to chastise the evil-doers, some miscarriages o' justice is bound to occur in those inevitable grey areas o' your fancy new law.

the Patriot Act had very little opposition in 2001. 98 to 1 in senate and something like 360 yeas in the house.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Chucking people out of council homes is perhaps justifiable but it's retard grade inconsistent. You're quite entitled to one if you stab some fellah, but not if you loot, apparently.

Nevertheless, it makes sense to send a shot across the bows of anyone who decides to go to war with society if society goes to war with them. Genuinely can't help feeling sorry for the family who's had it done to them first. Given how soft we usually are this will have come as an awful shock.

Even so, if the same rule it's applied to all the people involved in the looting you suddenly create another problem. You have on average 3 other people out on the street because of the actions of the one, so that would be a lot of people on the street.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well in another case.. a 23 year old University student with no previous criminal background has been sentenced to a 6 month jail term for looting a single ?3.50 bottle of water from a supermarket during the rioting..

Telegraph - Water Thief Jailed for 6 Months

Of course, the key thing about the riots.. is that now no-ones really bothered about the phone-hacking scandals...

Wait, have the conspiracy theorists started up that Murdoch was actually behind the riots yet? :p