What you did today

Tale

Woke up at 6:20 due to the garbage guys playing music so loudly it drowned out all their other sounds. Considering the neighborhood, I suspect they won't be doing much driving in the future, but I'm still pretty ****ing pissed off right now. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Got a bit frustrated because it seems like nobody ever wants to talk to me unless they want me to do something for them or I initiate it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Got a bit frustrated because it seems like nobody ever wants to talk to me unless they want me to do something for them or I initiate it.

Just a guess... you're an introvert?

Got the confirmation email that my Cthulhu stuff has shipped. Can't wait to get my own tentacle and cultist singalong texts :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Found this from a WH40k Codex - "This is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure, then prepare yourself now.". Will tell my manager to say this to new employees :)

I will do so myself. Although ideally I should be meshed into some sort of throne made of tubes hooked up to my spine, and wearing a cowl. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Found this from a WH40k Codex - "This is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure, then prepare yourself now.". Will tell my manager to say this to new employees :)

I will do so myself. Although ideally I should be meshed into some sort of throne made of tubes hooked up to my spine, and wearing a cowl. :)

"Hi, I'd like to introduce you to the HR department! They'll happily deal with any problems you cause, er, have."

We took a tour of Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. I really enjoyed one of their seasonal beers, Conflux #2. Now the kids are resting and then we are heading out to a different brewery for dinner.

Oh excellent! Its nice out there ain't it.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Was woken up this morning by the door banging open as the alsatian surged through it..then leapt through the air to land on my bed. Not the best start of the day to my mind.

The rain turned on last night and has kept up through the morning, it's looking fairly grim and grey out.. while staying somewhat muggy rather then clearing the air.

I'm actually only just finishing off my first cup of tea of the day and trying to push myself into getting back to the paperwork...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well I'm leaving EA, to go and do something crazy...

Volunteer fire department?

It might just be my imagination, but you've seemed more grumpy than usual lately. EA not the career move you'd hoped for?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You can always talk to yourself. I fear that has made me slightly eccentric. Anyway, nothing to get frustrated over, really, that does seem normal type behaviour. Rare to find someone that wants to socialize with some person just out of the blue.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Being a little spacey/dizzy today for some reason but struggling onwards. Bout to grab some cheese on toast for lunch nibbles.

Heh, just digging out stuff from the freezer..and found some smoked salmon that apparently was put there in '92... Now I'm going to have to de-thaw it just to see what condition its in... :)

It might just be my imagination, but you've seemed more grumpy than usual lately. EA not the career move you'd hoped for?

Nothing like that. I've had an awesome time at EA, but hey've a habit of hiring people as contractors, and my contract was due to end at a time of year which one does not wish to find themselves unemployed. I'd decided I'd start looking for a new job in August unless something was decided upon, my manager said there was a 75% chance of renewal but there wasn't much he could do other than say "Keep this guy".

I'd decided I begin looking in August for something else, it took me about a day, which is far quicker than I expected. I was offered my new job, on the spot, which was a massive shock.

Well that and I'm beginning something indie which I am hoping everyone here is going to love.

So yeah, watch this space :).

Nothing like that. I've had an awesome time at EA, but hey've a habit of hiring people as contractors, and my contract was due to end at a time of year which one does not wish to find themselves unemployed. I'd decided I'd start looking for a new job in August unless something was decided upon, my manager said there was a 75% chance of renewal but there wasn't much he could do other than say "Keep this guy".

I'd decided I begin looking in August for something else, it took me about a day, which is far quicker than I expected. I was offered my new job, on the spot, which was a massive shock.

Well that and I'm beginning something indie which I am hoping everyone here is going to love.

:) happy for you

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I never understood how people could live as contractors... Not so much the time that is spent working hard on projects, but the uncertainty between projects spent searching for the next project. Regardless of how good you are and may be in demand, the one time where it is really inconvenient, the timing will suck,

Hey, I just bought humble bundle 3, I've got more indie games than I can throw Goo at :)

the one time where it is really inconvenient, the timing will suck,

Pretty much why I wrapped up early, its far too flaky in the contracting world, and its not worth it in my opinion - I had a special oppertunity so it was worthwhile, but I'd never do it again.

I have a perminant role which pays more now, and that's reason enough to leave, especially considering that I was looking at being unemployed over the christmas period.

I never understood how people could live as contractors... Not so much the time that is spent working hard on projects, but the uncertainty between projects spent searching for the next project. Regardless of how good you are and may be in demand, the one time where it is really inconvenient, the timing will suck,

Increasingly, you don't have a choice.

Increasingly, you don't have a choice.

This is true, but it also makes business sense from the companies point of view.

Time to look for a new job here as well. Well either that or go back to school, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Been swearing at word for the auto-formatting it keeps trying to do regardless of what I want.

I know there's got to be a switch somewhere to turn all of that off... :)

Urf , either way I'm getting that annoying knuckle/finger ache from too much typing.

Hm, and the weather is turning a tad clammy again...

I'll buy it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We took a tour of Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. I really enjoyed one of their seasonal beers, Conflux #2. Now the kids are resting and then we are heading out to a different brewery for dinner.

Oh excellent! Its nice out there ain't it.

Yes, Bend is really one of the more beautiful places I have ever been. They've done a great job building this town.

Today I took the kids through a mile long lava cave. My wife didn't make it, she is still recovering from the knee surgery. My daughter did great getting down abut 3500 feet, but getting back up was a bit rougher. For a good stretch I had my son in the carrier on my chest and my daughter on my shoulders, plus a backpack with our lunches. It was hard work, but it was an amazing cave. It's amazing how big it was.

Then we took a tour of a chocolate and ice cream factory called Goody's. It was a nice change of pace from the cave. I also found Tillamook Ice cream in the grocery story, I had no idea they made anything but cheese.

Today I took the kids through a mile long lava cave. My wife didn't make it, she is still recovering from the knee surgery. My daughter did great getting down abut 3500 feet, but getting back up was a bit rougher. For a good stretch I had my son in the carrier on my chest and my daughter on my shoulders, plus a backpack with our lunches. It was hard work, but it was an amazing cave. It's amazing how big it was.

Yeah, I did that a few times when I was out there, we got some sticks, rags and petrol and made torches, I don't recommend it, when it goes out it produces far too much smoke.

The lava plains are also epic, I used to wander on out into the middle of nothing, and you'd look around and see nothing but the mass field of dried lava, its a very alien landscape. I haven't been to Bend in what must be 7 years, but I never expect that place to have changed too much. I wonder if they still have the gaming shop, I got a bunch of minatures from there.

Headed off to my last day in class, then it's packing for the afternoon before flying back to Cali.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.