RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Haters(+ trolls) vs moderates vs fanboys?

We are vastly outnumbered, but of course we can always ban people if they get the better of us. -_-

In regards to the topic - I just discovered the now dead Beyond The Red Line (Battlestar Galatica) mod for Freespace and it was actually pretty frakking sweet. Even though you only get 2 missions.

Then I found out that most of the team has moved on to a similar project called Diaspora. I'm looking forward to this!

Also, saw the trailer for Prototype 2 - looks pretty sweet.

*cough* moderates, not moderators. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Bastion Trailer. ARPG. Coming to consoles this week, PC 'soon'

I note that (1) first trailer in oodles that is actually cool and not boring, (2) disgusting pastely cartoon look but manages to look pretty decent in places, (3) Impressions sound interesting[.

Mmm.

Crazy Russians with their thousand-and-one turn-based games. The few games that make it into western market due to 1C are just the tip of the iceberg. Most recently there was Disciples 3: Renaissance.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's a turn-based strategy/RPG btw.

what is that? some new-fangled kid's invention, I'll bet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's a turn-based strategy/RPG btw.

what is that? some new-fangled kid's invention, I'll bet.

Yeah, it's not like HoMM VI is going to get released in a few months.

I though HoMM VI had all ready been released and everybody hated it.

huh.

Must have dreamed that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Jon Chey leaves Irrational, forms new indie studio Blue Manchu

Jon Chey? That guy was the project director on System Shock 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Now he makes this:

battle-screen_18748.nphd.jpg

How the mighty have fallen...

What is it with this exodus of top staff from AAA studios into these non-games nowadays?

That picture made me interested. Then I read that they use cards to move them around and stuff. Which made it sound less interesting. And the MMO comparison.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How the mighty have fallen...

What is it with this exodus of top staff from AAA studios into these non-games nowadays?

Maybe tired of BS/stress ? Urge to try something new ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some will happily sail that ship all the way to the bottom. Other than that you need more reiteration, proven IPs and as little innovation as possible.

There could always be another collapse! Out of which rises the casual/microtran empire!

Which is terrible in a couple ways. Not the least of which are all those people who lose their jobs. :(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."