RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Stealth, 18 century setting...my antenna is up now.

From Gameinformer

It's a game about assassination where you don't have to kill anyone.
and the story changes depends on how much damage caused during the game-play without any moral interference...nice touch here, too. I don't think myself as a particularly ethical individual and yet assassination-focused games such as Hitman series make me run away. Like the concept already, wondering how the outcome will end up.

lemme guess.

Harvery Smith is promising a totally immersive world where numbers don't matter and deep meaningful choices.

lol.

He has 0 credibility.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

He has 0 credibility.

The guy was the lead designer of Deus Ex. And he also managed to turn a Xbox 1 game with a messy engine into something playable.

He has more credibility than 90% of all other "me too" designers out there.

An outside porting house apparently managed to make Deus Ex 1 work on the PS2, so... DX:HR was an abortion enginewise (IMO, compared to, say, the KOTORs), story progression wise (the opposite of meaningful choice) and gameplaywise. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Nyaa, my favorite designer could totally beat up your favorite designer! :lol:

Harvey Smith is a former Air Force guy that was stationed somewhere in Germany. I think he can beat up the average civilian (and game designer), provided he had some combat training.

Either way, I like the guy. He's straight in his interviews, he just says what he thinks, not what he ought to say. Plus Arkane Studios is just such a perfect fit for his taste. He didn't flourish when he worked at Midway on some silly Area 51 games, but he does flourish if you give him the right support.

Nyaa, my favorite designer could totally beat up your favorite designer! :lol:

Harvey Smith is a former Air Force guy that was stationed somewhere in Germany. I think he can beat up the average civilian (and game designer), provided he had some combat training.

1000911324-00.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

lol. Nice pic.

@Morgoth: Sure, DX was a pretty good, though flawed, game, and Smith was pretty heavily involved with it for a long time, but still by all accounts it was Spector's vision, and had been for the many years it was in development.

Since DX what precisely has Smith done that makes him worth anything special as a game developer? He promised a lot with IW and delivered almost nothing that was promised. Was that entirely his fault? Who knows. But the result is there. I paid $49.99 USD for it.

Dishonored may be a great game. Who knows. But nothing in Smith's game development history indicates his presensce is a positive point in the game's favor.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Smith is Co-Creative Director. The other half is Raphael Colantonio, and he made Arx Fatalis and the excellent Dark Messiah.

So even if you're right and Smith goes all bonkers on us again, at least he he can be slowed down by Colantonio.

Personally I don't think this is a good idea, having two directors working on a vision, but what do I know. Maybe it just means Raphael is writing and Smith is level designing.

That would be great but it's bogus, at least according to GAF.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

INTERVIEW: Christoph Hartmann, 2K Games

He explains: ?The ?90s generation of gamers all love Xcom and we own the IP, so we thought OK, what do we do with it? Every studio we had wanted to do it and each one had its own spin on it. But the problem was that turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth. But this is not just a commercial thing ? strategy games are just not contemporary.

“I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West. Bringing Ray Charles back is all fine and good, but it just needs to move on, although the core essence will still be the same.

?That?s what we are trying to do. To renew Xcom but in line with what this generation of gamers want. The team behind it is asking themselves every day: ?Is it true to the values of the franchise?? It?s not a case of cashing in on the name. We just need to renew it because times are changing.?

Bah? Bah.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

strategy games are just not contemporary.

?

If by contemporary he means "conservative choice to make as money as possible for the shareholders with as little risk as possible" then OK.