RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Bioshock had an interesting setting, but ended up being a little bit over-the-top and lolly-pop colorful. Quite a let down thinking that System Shock 2 was a much darker game.

But the US audience doesn't want that. They want their games served the same as their junk food is served: Fast, unnutritious and wanting for more.

Infinite will probably end up the same. I will still enjoy it, but I know Levine can do better.

Edited by Morgoth

I've seen 12 years olds that have jugs like a... :lol:

But hey.

... i wasn't talking about "jugs". look at her face, yeah its anime looking with big eyes etc, but it doesnt look like a 15 year old. there is a big difference between how a 15 year old girl looks and how a 23 year old girl looks.

That actually largly depends on the person. I know ~30 year olds that regulary have to show their ID because people can't tell if they are over 18. :lol:

I've seen 12 years olds that have jugs like a... :lol:

But hey.

... i wasn't talking about "jugs". look at her face, yeah its anime looking with big eyes etc, but it doesnt look like a 15 year old. there is a big difference between how a 15 year old girl looks and how a 23 year old girl looks.

Son, she has an anime face, so her age can be everything in between 9 and 85.

Bioshock had an interesting setting, but ended up being a little bit over-the-top and lolly-pop colorful. Quite a let down thinking that System Shock 2 was a much darker game.

But the US audience doesn't want that. They want their games served the same as their junk food is served: Fast, unnutritious and wanting for more.

Infinite will probably end up the same. I will still enjoy it, but I know Levine can do better.

Levine talks a big game, but he has sold out just as Warren Spector and countless other developers.

Loved his complete 180 on motion controls at this year's E3, moneyhats all around.

Edited by Purkake

Neither Levine nor Spector have sold out. Spector just has the luxury that he can do whatever he wants. He's a big Disney fan? Fine, let him make Epic Mickey! I don't blame him for it.

Game designers shouldn't be stuck in a hole just because some vocal fans have "expectations" from them. Like everything in life, people change their tastes, preferences etc.

Levine is imo a no-nonsense guy. When somebody interviews him, he tries to at least making sense. He's not that Dave Gaffe guy or CliffyB that thinks "Yo, let's blow **** up bro!" is the apex of the medium.

There are really only 3 companies left that do immersive FPS/RPG/adventure hybrids with no ingame cutscene narrative: Arkane, Irrational and sister studio 2K Marin. I buy all their games day 1.

Edited by Morgoth

After Raven's work with Singularity, I hope they join that list.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Neither Levine nor Spector have sold out. Spector just has the luxury that he can do whatever he wants. He's a big Disney fan? Fine, let him make Epic Mickey! I don't blame him for it.

Game designers shouldn't be stuck in a hole just because some vocal fans have "expectations" from them. Like everything in life, people change their tastes, preferences etc.

Levine is imo a no-nonsense guy. When somebody interviews him, he tries to at least making sense. He's not that Dave Gaffe guy or CliffyB that thinks "Yo, let's blow **** up bro!" is the apex of the medium.

There are really only 3 companies left that do immersive FPS/RPG/adventure hybrids with no-ingame cutscene narrative: Arkane, Irrational and sister studio 2K Marin. I buy all their games day 1.

Spector decided to make his masterpiece on the most limited platform with tacked-on motion controls and ended up with a mediocre game. I'll grant you that it might have just been him screwing up, but looking at the concept art, I get the idea that the vision and the end result parted ways somewhere along the development process.

I'm sure Levine is a nice guy in person and there are certainly much worse "star developers" out there, but the reluctant "apology" about motion control pretty much sealed the deal for me. It's obviously my fault if I expect more from the guy who made System Shock 2 and Freedom Force, but that's how I feel.

I have long ago abandoned buying games based solely on their genre or the developer, there are just too many good games out there for that.

Cleavage of a 15 year old girl, no less.

But since it's not a Bioware game, no personal attacks involving paedophilia will be made. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Cleavage of a 15 year old girl, no less.

But since it's not a Bioware game, no personal attacks involving paedophilia will be made. :lol:

I don't anyone here is in a position to make such attacks after the 30+ page Sis appreciation thread on the AP forums...

I don't anyone here is in a position to make such attacks after the 30+ page Sis appreciation thread on the AP forums...

Wow, didn't know about that. Interesting idea for a character but creepy, heh. Amazing how Bioware comes up for no reason at all, as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've seen 12 years olds that have jugs like a... :ermm:

But hey.

Son, she has an anime face, so her age can be everything in between 9 and 85.

touche!

:)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

lolol man that is some funny stuff

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Amazing how Bioware comes up for no reason at all, as well.

Probably a reference to the Saerileth mod

15-year old romanceable Paladin of Tyr, yeeeaaahhhh

No, it was a reference to one of the DA2 threads in this forum. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Let this be a reminder that our compatriots, our fellows enthusiasts of RPGs, our brothers, have been creepy for a long time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I liked the LP with the Saerlelth mod. Hilarious stuff.

looking at the concept art, I get the idea that the vision and the end result parted ways somewhere along the development process.
Yes and no. The steampunk concept arts were just tests on how far Disney will let them take the edginess. Not that far, sadly. Edited by Oner

I liked the LP with the Saerlelth mod. Hilarious stuff.

looking at the concept art, I get the idea that the vision and the end result parted ways somewhere along the development process.
Yes and no. The steampunk concept arts were just tests on how far Disney will let them take the edginess. Not that far, sadly.

I don't really the steampunk part here is correct. At least from looking at the concept art.

Edit: Well the concept art on the right. The left one fits probably more.

Edited by C2B

they don't make em like they used to

/end old man ranting