XBOX360 Demo Impressions

Its awesome, it looks great and is basically everything I've been waiting for in an arpg. Of course knowing the online play is totally gimped and worthless makes this all irrelevant. Removing classes and making you play "named characters" and removing tried and true online play has turned this into a decent single player hack and slash that'll last about 15 hours, where they could have not been so arrogant and changed those two things and made a game that could have lasted a couple of years. Dumb.

Level 30 Cap, predefined charachters, highly limited customization (It has more depth though but that doesn't really matter here)

No, it wouldn't have lasted on online basis and it wasn't designed that way.

Do you work for Obsidian? Level caps can be raised and all of those other points were just bad ideas...so I guess it was meant to be a single player rpg-lite and not a arpg like the previous Dungeon Siege games. Bad ideas all around.

Oh, thanks for your generous insight of how games or an rpg "should" be. Truly I'm amazed.

Not an 'RPG' in general, but that is how Dungeon Siege should be. You have to be careful taking an existing series and drastically changing it, especially if you are going to remove many of the elements that made it so successful (from a fan base perspective) in the first place.

Ah, I'm just going to repeat my argument from the other thread:

1. Theres more ways than one to stay (at least a little) faithful to an original.

2. Theres also more than one group of fans (Stop with the entitlement)

3. "how something should" is not anywhere near a fact. Its a personal preference.

1. Yet you provide no examples? If you even mention the lore don't bother. It was next to nothing and was never the main focus.

2. Again you provide no examples. There were two main groups of fans, those that enjoyed it for being the Diablo clone it is, and those that were heavily into modding. Although I haven't heard anything about the modding aspect, I assume that it won't be anywhere as easy as Dungeon Siege 1. These are the groups that played / tweaked the game for years and years after release. Not the story driven minority that played through once and never touched it again.

3. In this case yes it's how I personally feel, and judging from the large amount of posts across various different forums its the way many Dungeon Siege fans feel.

Are you serious? Do you think DS1 is a diablo clone, only because it's a hack & slash rpg controlled with the mouse? Maybe you should actually play DS1? Then you will see that it is not.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

I am by no means stating that graphics make a game. However when a company can't even make a game look nice then you seriously wonder about the 'talent' that the rest of the company is made up of. I would like to see how DS3 looks on my tv before I actually comment about the graphics on the game, however going by the youtube videos of the demo and also Obsidians last game (Fallout) I have very little hopes that it's going to look any better... Obsidian from what I can tell is a company that typically has pretty terrible graphics (going from the past two titles they have released, I have no further knowledge about the company prior to that).

So pretty much what you are implying is if a game doesn't have top notch graphics the company is bad in other aspects as well (because of some **** quality youtube videos and a game using outdated GameBryo engine). Yeah, graphics don't make the game, but apparently it tells everything about the company :ermm:

Show me a company that makes a game using Bethesda's Gamebryo look spectacular on 360/ps3 in a very limited time with certain budget restraints put up by the publisher (they can't hire gazillion artists to work on the game). Alpha Protocol looked just like pretty much any other Unreal engine game that came out in 2009.

Matt-C has a point, Flouride. THere is a lot of games out there that are both complex and also have great gaphics (Oblivion was awesome at the time - Red Dead Redemption is another good example), and it is weird when you see a game that is ugly and don

Matt-C has a point, Flouride. THere is a lot of games out there that are both complex and also have great gaphics (Oblivion was awesome at the time - Red Dead Redemption is another good example), and it is weird when you see a game that is ugly and don

Hate the living, love the dead.

I grew up on comadore 64 and Intellevision so graphics aren't as important to me, gameplay is. if a game has bad graphics (DS3 has good graphics) and is fun then who care, kids today are so spoiled ..... I sound like an old man.....Hey You Get OFF MY LAWN.....

Wait a second

George Ziets is the Creative Lead? Will I get to eat a god?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

George Ziets is the Creative Lead? Will I get to eat a god?

What we have seen so far it's pretty standard fantasy fare, but well executed. I'm expecting a decent plot with competent writing but nothing more.. hoping to be surprised though! :lol:

Should be good on that front since reviews are saying the plot gets stronger with time. There was mainly complaining about the first hour in terms of narrative. And from what I've seen in the demo I liked it already.

Edited by C2B

im pretty happy with what i saw. i was on the fence since im not a obsidian fan but after playing the demo im gonna get it i think..i probably wont be playing much co-op but im not happy with how the co-op works and how the co-op camera works..i understand why its that way to a point...but sacrificing game play for story isnt a good enough reason..i think its really going to hurt the sales of them game and maybe thats why it was revealed as close to the release date as it was..some really really bad design choices here..

im not a graphics snob like a lot of complainers ive been seeing on the forums so they look ok to me..nothing great just ok..i do think for a 60 dollar game there should have been animated or cgi cut scenes though..thats another bad design choice..the way its done just looks cheap..

one thing i noticed about the demo that im curious about if anyone has an answer id appreciate it..are all the characters going to start out the same way story wise or was it just that way in the demo? if so thats another bad choice..

one thing i noticed about the demo that im curious about if anyone has an answer id appreciate it..are all the characters going to start out the same way story wise or was it just that way in the demo? if so thats another bad choice..

I highly doubt that was the real beginning of the game, if you look at your stats in the beginning of the demo your character is at level 5 already. I would hope that each character has it's own unique game start, if not then I would have to agree with you on that.

I would be surprised to find a unique start. How would that interact with a co-op game?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I highly doubt that was the real beginning of the game, if you look at your stats in the beginning of the demo your character is at level 5 already. I would hope that each character has it's own unique game start, if not then I would have to agree with you on that.

That might be a demo feature, like the resurrection. I'm sure I've seen videos of the first hours where the character had only one ability instead of three.

well i was just thinking if they dont have unique starts its really gonna cut down on replayability..i know i wont start another character for a long time after i finish with the first one if they all start out the same place..

i just said how...

plus why make such a big deal about how great the storys gonna be and have 4 different characters if its gonna be the same for all of them..the more and more i hear about this game the more i think obsidains just lazy..well i always thought that but i had high hopes for this game..

Edited by blueboykc

i just said how...

plus why make such a big deal about how great the storys gonna be and have 4 different characters if its gonna be the same for all of them..the more and more i hear about this game the more i think obsidains just lazy..well i always thought that but i had high hopes for this game..

Because the personalities/dialog and certain npc interaction varies vastly from charachter to charachter? Among other things?

Theres a lot of ways to do certain things...

Edited by C2B

how in what i said makes it sound like i want every game to be the same? and from what i saw in the demo what you said about "personalities/dialog and certain npc interaction" really wasnt present..a little difference in the dialog yeah but wow not really that interesting if youve pretty much did the same thing with another character..

how in what i said makes it sound like i want every game to be the same? and from what i saw in the demo what you said about "personalities/dialog and certain npc interaction" really wasnt present..a little difference in the dialog yeah but wow not really that interesting if youve pretty much did the same thing with another character..

It was plenty different already (from what I've seen. And I've just watched streams where they didn't go through all options). Also, opinions on how to value certain things.

Edited by C2B

and dont be so defensive its just my opinion if you dont like it dont read it..i keep getting told everyones entitled to one no matter how wrong or obtuse it is..

Yup. I just gave my opinion too. :lol:

Also why I went defensive

the more i think obsidains just lazy.

You can call me a fanboy, but I have a personality where I'm seeing someone or something getting insulted unfairly I jump on defense for that person/thing. Its a little charachter flaw but I like it. Probably wouldn't have said anything otherwise.

Edited by C2B

From memory, you are meant to have different starts, or at least different ways in which the starting bits unfold, depending on choice of character... because of course you're meant to run into the other 3 characters along the way and thus 'unlock' them for that campaign. This unlocking obviously doesn't apply to co-op, so I don't know what happens there, though.

and dont be so defensive its just my opinion if you dont like it dont read it..i keep getting told everyones entitled to one no matter how wrong or obtuse it is..

Yup. I just gave my opinion too. :)

Also why I went defensive

the more i think obsidains just lazy.

You can call me a fanboy, but I have a personality where I'm seeing someone or something getting insulted unfairly I jump on defense for that person/thing. Its a little charachter flaw but I like it. Probably wouldn't have said anything otherwise.

im still stung from my fallout:nv experience..and i want so bad for this game to be good..i just have very little faith in obsidian..