XBOX360 Demo Impressions

GRIN is also a horrible Dev

I liked bionic commando and bandits :-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

GRIN is also a horrible Dev

I liked bionic commando and bandits :-

Corrected it a little. Was biased :) . Anyway, the second (edited) point is a more important than the first. Also Obsidian had more to do with the american branch anyway.

Edited by C2B

very sneaky :-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

This game is barely anything like the originals. It's more linear, shallow, and the entire focus of the game has been redirected. Forget control schemes or things like that...this is not a Dungeon Siege game through and through. The multiplayer is worst offender to be honest and I can't even believe this design choice was not only seriously considered but actually got implemented.

With that said it seemed like an OK game I guess. I'm going to give the demo a little more time but at this point it's pretty unlikely I will buy the game...not at $60 at least. I was actually going to buy my brother-in-law a copy (I do this frequently for lots of games since he doesn't have a lot of money) as well just so I could play co-op with him (and other people too of course).

I'm just sitting here shaking my head with disbelief. They took an awesome ARPG and turned it into a emo story based linear action adventure with light RPG elements and neutered online play. Yeah...that's exactly what Dungeon Siege fans want /sarcasm

Edited by Renevent

They took an awesome ARPG and turned it into a emo story based linear action adventure with light RPG elements

if you think DS was more RPG than DS3 is, you have another thing coming. you obviously don't know anything about Obsidian, but even saying that DS is any kind of RPG is an insult to my intellect :-

Walsingham said:

They took an awesome ARPG and turned it into a emo story based linear action adventure with light RPG elements

if you think DS was more RPG than DS3 is, you have another thing coming. you obviously don't know anything about Obsidian, but even saying that DS is any kind of RPG is an insult to my intellect :-

You are obviously the one in need of a reality check...and you seem to be in the habit of talking about things you simply don't understand (like the things you said about Diablo on console rpg online games). The RPG elements I am talking about is the customization and depth of it's mechanics.

And I know tons about Obsidian...I own all three NWN2 games, New Vegas, and KOTORII...Obsidian is a good developer in my opinion they just totally f'd up with DSIII.

Edited by Renevent

The RPG elements I am talking about is the customization and depth of it's mechanics.

:-

Alpha Protocol is more RPG than DS

Walsingham said:

Last tme I checked DA:O was the only game with unique beginnings for each character, so I don't get how DS3's one fixed start would be a bad decision.

Sacred 2 says HI.

Right, two games and a sequel, my bad. Still an exception, not the rule.

How big is Dungeon Siege 1 and 2's fanbase, anyway? Isn't it tiny on account of the games not being particularly well received?
I think the whole fanbase is here already.

The RPG elements I am talking about is the customization and depth of it's mechanics.

:-

Alpha Protocol is more RPG than DS

And Baldur's Gate II is more of a RPG than Alpha Protocol...who cares what does either have to do with anything? I am talking about Dungeon Siege.

Damn...take off the fanboy blinders.

Edited by Renevent

Same to you.

There is a reason Dungeon Siege has a dubious reputation under long time hardcore rpg players.

I won't bash it (too much) and I still enjoyed my time with the previous Dungeon Siege titles but....

Edited by C2B

Same to you.

There is a reason Dungeon Siege has a dubious reputation under hardcore rpg players.

They weren't hardcore RPG and never were billed as such...so again what does that have to do with anything? Both of you are missing my points by a million miles.

Further more, Dungeon Siege III isn't a hardcore RPG either...even less so the than previous two IMO. Maybe has more story depth (yet to be seen) but certainly not on a mechanical level.

For the record I don't think the Dungeon Siege games were amazing or anything...I always just considered them 'good' for their genre. Fun games with nice leveling/skill system, great loot, and fun online. So no fanboy goggles here...only with you two

Edited by Renevent

Same to you.

There is a reason Dungeon Siege has a dubious reputation under hardcore rpg players.

It's not a hardcore RPG...so again what does that have to do with anything? Both of you are missing my points by a million miles.

Further more, Dungeon Siege III isn't a hardcore RPG either...even less so the than previous two IMO. Maybe has more story depth (yet to be seen) but certainly not on a mechanical level.

Never said that. But you ARE talking about which has more/better rpg mechanics.

Edited by C2B

I am talking about Dungeon Siege.

so am I. DS is not an RPG :- even putting an "A" in front of it doesn't qualify it as one.

Walsingham said:

Same to you.

It's not a hardcore RPG...so again what does that have to do with anything? Both of you are missing my points by a million miles.

Never said that. But you ARE talking about which has more/better rpg mechanics.

You are putting a different spin on the rpg mechanics that I am referring to. Not talking about 'hardcore rpg' mechanics in the same sense that you are. So please understand the context prior to responding.

Edited by Renevent

so I guess Diablo also is an RPG then? :-

Walsingham said:

so am I. DS is not an RPG :) even putting an "A" in front of it doesn't qualify it as one.

You don't even make sense...call it whatever you want. And guess what, DSIII qualifies even less as an RPG under the criteria you use. You think adding a pointless dialog wheel while making the rest of the game utterly linear and simplified makes it more of a RPG? Wrong.

so I guess Diablo also is an RPG then? :-

Yeah that's what I said right? Can you read and comprehend what other people say prior to responding?

Edited by Renevent

t 'hardcore rpg' mechanics in the same sense that you are.

And naturally yours is superior. Yes, context is important here. Also no DS had no depth in its rpg mechanics. The combat was utterly not challenging and way too breakable.

And that is for the mechanics alone.

t 'hardcore rpg' mechanics in the same sense that you are.

And naturally yours is superior. Yes, context is important here. Also no DS had no depth in its rpg mechanics. The combat was utterly not challenging and way too breakable.

And that is for the mechanics alone.

Dungeon Siege's rpg mechanics were world class compared to DSIII. You had more choices and it was way more open ended. To even suggest otherwise is just displaying ignorance.

Also the item system in the originals seemed better, though maybe the demo didn't have enough into the game to really make a determination.

With that said none of the Dungeon Siege were masterpieces or anything and other games had deeper systems...but DSIII obviously has streamlined (euphemism for dumb down) systems and much less depth.

Oh, and I never said 'mine were superior' or anything like that...you are just talking about different things than I am. You are and the other person are using arguments that have absolutely nothing to do with what my complaints are about.

Again, I wasn't talking about hardcore rpg's, defining the rpg genre, or anything remotely similar to that.

Edited by Renevent

game utterly linear and simplified makes it more of a RPG?

so you already played through the whole game?

Walsingham said:

game utterly linear and simplified makes it more of a RPG?

so you already played through the whole game?

Do you believe the game somehow turns into a completely different game when you buy the full game? You think the leveling screen(s) are just place holders for a much more open and robust leveling system?

No, most of my complaints will absolutely be in the full game too. Certain things, though, like maybe the loot system gets better or perhaps the world opens up slightly could also improve...though I doubt it.

so not only you consider every game that has a leveling system RPG, you're also psychic. ok, no more questions

Walsingham said:

so not only you consider every game that has a leveling system RPG, you're also psychic. ok, no more questions

LOL WUT?

I am getting the impression that me and you aren't really having an debate here, but rather you are instead arguing with yourself (or with a made up version of my arguments that only exist in your brain).

so am I. DS is not an RPG -_- even putting an "A" in front of it doesn't qualify it as one.

Does it matters the game genre? People could call Diablo and DS shooters, but they still are similar games.

Torchlight, DS, Sacred, Diablo, Silverfall... they all share something in common.

Does it matters the game genre?

it matters to this discussion, in the long run it doesn't since I couldn't care less what genre it is. what does matter is people's perception and expectations and the fact that they can't explain to themselves or to others why they like or dislike this or that. pulling stuff like "DS was an awesome RPG, and DSIII is a crappy adventure game", what else could one expect?

Walsingham said: