Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

I'm Still Here - I couldn't sit through more than 15-20 minutes.

Considering the name of the movie, that's pretty hilarious.

Is that the one about Bob Dylan?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm Still Here - I couldn't sit through more than 15-20 minutes.

Considering the name of the movie, that's pretty hilarious.

Is that the one about Bob Dylan?

No that one is "I'm not There"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

LOL. The two aren't necessarily exclusive.

~

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1356864/

Sweet dancing Jesus, that looks like a bad film.

Although the critcs either love it or hate it, apparently.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1356864/

Sweet dancing Jesus, that looks like a bad film.

It's more confusing than bad actually.. You are left wondering if it's a very elaborate hoax or if Joaquin is loosing his mind.. if it's a true story, it's a tragic tale of how fame can destroy you and your chances of doing something different than what people expect of you. I personally think it's a hoax however and that it's a rather bad attempt at showing just how hypocritical actors and audiences can be..

Fortune favors the bald.

They admitted it was a hoax/experiment or whatever already. But for a short moment people did think Joaquin Phoenix was retiring/going off the deep end. I remember reading about it etc.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rewatching Firefly. I have to say my favorite episode is the one where they sneak into the hospital to steal supplies. Love the part where the characters spend a long period of time rehearsing their medical vocabulary so they wont appear out of place when they bring the 'bodies' to the hospital only to just be passed right through. Then Jayne recites his line anyway. Reminds me of a time I had an important meeting where I spent hours researching stuff only for it to turn out to be a casual affair, then I wanted to spew out some of the research I had done just because I'd spent so much time on it. :thumbsup:

The agents are great villains as well with their glow sticks of death.

Cowboys & Aliens

Best action movie in yeeeeeaars. If you do not like this movie, you are either emotionally juvenile or simply become a cynic beyond redemption.

Bravo!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Cowboys & Aliens

Best action movie in yeeeeeaars. If you do not like this movie, you are either emotionally juvenile or simply become a cynic beyond redemption.

Bravo!

You kidding me? Harrison Ford himself stated in an interview not a long time ago that C&A was a silly child movie.

...and a silly child movie is **** by default because...?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Cowboys & Aliens

Bravo!

You kidding me? Harrison Ford himself stated in an interview not a long time ago that C&A was a silly child movie.

...because there's only so many silly child movies someone can take before stop watching movies altogether.

Hollywood used to be cool. Like, a 1000 years ago or so. Now it's just ridiculous.

Cowboys & Aliens

Bravo!

...because there's only so many silly child movies someone can take before stop watching movies altogether.

Hollywood used to be cool. Like, a 1000 years ago or so. Now it's just ridiculous.

am calling bs. come up with a list o' the 10 best films from 2010 and half is gonna be hollywood. another couple is gonna be from american indie film makers/producers who gots close ties with hollywood. there is a knee-jerk reaction by some to reject hollywood as producing that which is fake, plastic and homogenous. is a myopic assessment. 2010, not our favorite movie year by any stretch o' the imagination, included more than a few films we genuine enjoyed, such films as true grit, black swan, inception, rabbit hole, winter's bone, kick-a$$, despicable me, toy story 3, the town, i am love, the king's speech, the fighter, shutter island, and others. only two o' the aforementioned films is foreign, and most is hollywood. heck, our favorite documentary from last year, waiting for superman, were made and distributed by hollywood entities.

is easy to dismiss hollywood 'cause it produces so much crap (the last airbender, jonah hex, transformers, etc.) but the % of crap foreign and indie films is no better, and probable worse. the thing is, hollywood produces so much more that it inevitable results in a much larger % o' the total good films in any given year.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cowboys & Aliens

Bravo!

Personally I disagree with Ford, but I do wish to point out that the bloody thing was way way way to long.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

ps am looking for clarification.

"Hollywood used to be cool. Like, a 1000 years ago or so. Now it's just ridiculous."

clearly the thousand year mark is meant as a ha ha. however, you is suggesting that at some point in the dim past, hollywood were "cool." when? give us a frame o' reference. am just curious, cause we has a hard time recollecting an era o' hollywood film making that clearly and undeniably produced proportional less dreck than today. bad silents. bad early talkies. bad musicals (lord, there were a boat load o' bad musicals.) bad westerns, religious epics, war flicks. surf movies? *snort* bad crime dramas o' the 60's and 70's in particular. the eighties? don't even get us started on all the bad 80's films. limit yourself to the the john hughes copycats and the star wars wannabees made during the 80's and you could go mad if forced to watch all such films. was the 90's your Golden Age? doubt it.

*shrug*

the further we is removed from a given era o' film, the easier it is to forget/ignore all the crap that were produced during that time period. is understandable, but myopic.

by the same token, we fully admit that we is hardly a movie historian. is quite possible that the 40's, or some other era, were some kinda relative Ultra-Cool period for hollywood. as old as we is, we ain't That old. dunno. seems like there has always been considerable bilge being belched forth by the hollywood machine, but no doubts somebody with actual expertise could correct us.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It can be cool and ridiculous. You just need to watch more Russ Meyer movies.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

ps am looking for clarification.

"Hollywood used to be cool. Like, a 1000 years ago or so. Now it's just ridiculous."

clearly the thousand year mark is meant as a ha ha. however, you is suggesting that at some point in the dim past, hollywood were "cool." when? give us a frame o' reference. am just curious, cause we has a hard time recollecting an era o' hollywood film making that clearly and undeniably produced proportional less dreck than today. bad silents. bad early talkies. bad musicals (lord, there were a boat load o' bad musicals.) bad westerns, religious epics, war flicks. surf movies? *snort* bad crime dramas o' the 60's and 70's in particular. the eighties? don't even get us started on all the bad 80's films. limit yourself to the the john hughes copycats and the star wars wannabees made during the 80's and you could go mad if forced to watch all such films. was the 90's your Golden Age? doubt it.

*shrug*

the further we is removed from a given era o' film, the easier it is to forget/ignore all the crap that were produced during that time period. is understandable, but myopic.

by the same token, we fully admit that we is hardly a movie historian. is quite possible that the 40's, or some other era, were some kinda relative Ultra-Cool period for hollywood. as old as we is, we ain't That old. dunno. seems like there has always been considerable bilge being belched forth by the hollywood machine, but no doubts somebody with actual expertise could correct us.

HA! Good Fun!

This phenomenon applies to basically every (game) discussion in this forum, yet you only go after it when it comes to Hollywood? >_<

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It can be cool and ridiculous. You just need to watch more Russ Meyer movies.

faster, pussycat! kill! kill!

we never actual saw the movie, but how can you go wrong with a title like that, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

Vampires Suck - any movie that makes fun of the Twilight series is all right in my book...don't get me wrong, it's stupid & inane like you'd expect from such a film, but I LOL'd several times in spite of myself.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Vampires Suck - any movie that makes fun of the Twilight series is all right in my book...don't get me wrong, it's stupid & inane like you'd expect from such a film, but I LOL'd several times in spite of myself.

Isn't that from the guys who did Epic Movie?

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

the genre-spoof movies typically fail with Gromnir. is only funny if you has seen the source material, and we rarely has watched the requisite number o' bad movies to be making the spoof funny.

HA! Good Fun!

Not even the source material, since they don't even watch their source material. And often are producing it at the same time as the source, so they couldn't if they wanted.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Nero Wolfe Mysteries.

A series of adaptions of the novels into a made-for-tv-movie format. What's quirky about it is that it's a lot like a theatre troup. The same ensemble cast of 20 or so actors in all of the shows, but only about a handful play the same characters; the principle ones of Nero Wolfe - Maury Chalkin, Archie Goodwin - Timothy Hutton, Inspector Cramer - Bill Smitrovich, and the other few close agents and several other characters that are seen more then once. All the supporting characters that show up rotate the rest of the cast each "episode". The femme fatale in one episode might be the innocent support in another, the creepy misdirect actor returns as the solid citizen in another show. It's a little weird to get used to..but it works in a surprising manner. The likes of Kari Matchett, Debra Monk, Francie Swift, James Tolkan, Saul Rubinek, Nicki Guadagni and the late great George Plimpton (names you might not recognise, but faces you surely will).

Detective/Mystery stories set in a vague timezone that could stretch from the 30's to 50's.

It's got some wonderfully snarky dialogue.

Nero Wolfe, a hugely overweight connesieur of fine foods, wines and orchids who happens to be a genius detective who refuses to leave his manhattan brownstone to solve crimes. Thus solving them by sending out his agents to gather the clues. Very much like the evil mastermind in reverse.. :lol:

The character of Archie Goodwin as the principle "right-hand man" being the lead and having a very smooth first-person voice over as narrative.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Isn't that from the guys who did Epic Movie?

No idea.

the genre-spoof movies typically fail with Gromnir.

Yeah, ditto, which is why I was surprised I laughed. Like I said - not saying it was good in general...just some of the jokes resonated with me re: the absurdity of Twilight films.

Airplane - just the first one - was one of the few that I really liked back then...and I hadn't even seen the Airport films. And some of Mel Brooks stuff is fitfully amusing. Most of the time I don't bother watching such movies tho. :lol:

Not even the source material, since they don't even watch their source material. And often are producing it at the same time as the source, so they couldn't if they wanted.

Judging from the film, I'd say the makers of the spoof had at least seen the first one. It was made a couple years after I think.

the genre-spoof movies typically fail with Gromnir. is only funny if you has seen the source material, and we rarely has watched the requisite number o' bad movies to be making the spoof funny.

HA! Good Fun!

I watched some of the recent genre spoof movies and thought I was growing out of that type of comedy. Then I rewatched Naked Gun & Airplane and laughed my head off and realized my taste wasn't so much changing as the recent spoof movies are garbage.

Wow... just checked IMDB.com to check the ratings of the recent spoofs... how do they keep making them?

Date Movie (2006) 2.6

Epic Movie (2007) 2.2

Meet the Spartans (2008) 2.5

Disaster Movie (2008) 1.7

Vampires Suck (2010) 3.2

I'm glad I gave up on these spoofs at Date Movie.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat