Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

I dunno, one of the best scenes in Expendables was the conversation between Arnie and Sly and Bruce.

Yes, it was a cute cameo.

I'm laughing because he was our governor & then now that he's not, we get to see the "Governator" on-screen again. Altho that office sexual misconduct/infidelity/divorce legal stuff that occurred not long after his governorship ended kind of put a crimp in his plans for a while. Don't get me wrong, I still like ol' Arnie, & I didn't actually dislike him as governor, but well...maybe you have to live here to understand. It's just....funny.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Forgot...was going to mention I saw the 1st episode of Sherlock Holmes (2010, BBC http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/ ) last night. It's set in modern day London.

I'm a huge fan of the original Holmes stories & am pretty picky about film versions of Holmes, so I was all set to be disappointed/irritated...but it surprised me. Based on the 1st episode alone it's pretty nifty. Modern, with cell-phones and cars such but yet somehow still retains a feeling of the original setting concept. I loved the actor playing Holmes right away. He's perfect for a modern Holmes retelling. I could do without the occasional use of text titles to illustrate Holmes thought process, but other than that...

Watson isn't a bumbling idiot...the actor playing him feels a little...small...compared to my image of the healthy, strapping Watson Holmes would rely on for physical & gun backup, but I can overlook that because so far he's been pretty good in the role. Just the right amount of pride when he says he's a very good doctor, the right amount of stoic+indignation or quiet curiosity at other times. Hope the rest of the episodes are as good!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Forgot...was going to mention I saw the 1st episode of Sherlock Holmes (2010, BBC http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/ ) last night. It's set in modern day London.

I'm a huge fan of the original Holmes stories & am pretty picky about film versions of Holmes, so I was all set to be disappointed/irritated...but it surprised me. Based on the 1st episode alone it's pretty nifty. Modern, with cell-phones and cars such but yet somehow still retains a feeling of the original setting concept. I loved the actor playing Holmes right away. He's perfect for a modern Holmes retelling. I could do without the occasional use of text titles to illustrate Holmes thought process, but other than that...

Watson isn't a bumbling idiot...the actor playing him feels a little...small...compared to my image of the healthy, strapping Watson Holmes would rely on for physical & gun backup, but I can overlook that because so far he's been pretty good in the role. Just the right amount of pride when he says he's a very good doctor, the right amount of stoic+indignation or quiet curiosity at other times. Hope the rest of the episodes are as good!

It was a quite nifty series. The second episode is generally considered the weakest, but the third when Moriarty comes into play was rather brilliant. And there is going to be a second season.

And for the random trivia, the guy who played Mycroft? Is also one of the writers of the show..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I like to think of myself as Watson. Maybe a little slow, but willing to go all in for a good cause. Hence it annoys the bojangles off me when he's portrayed as a buffoon. He's not. He's an army doctor who fought on the front line in Afghanistan, and lived in India. He has huge knowledge of the world, and knows a fair bit about women. He does not deserve to be portrayed as a simpleton, just so that lazy scriptwriters can get away with straight exposition of key points rather than conveying them properly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I found how Watson was portrayed in the most recent movie with Robert Downy Jr. to be an excellent rendition. Of course, Ive never read even one of the book so I dont really know which portrayal is accurate. Im pretty stoked to see the second movie when it comes out soon.

Jude Law as Watson was just a tiny bit too current-generation youthful/enthusiastic in attitude, or something, for me, but overall he was a good Watson...especially considering what kind of movie it was vs. the original story concepts.

It was a quite nifty series. The second episode is generally considered the weakest, but the third when Moriarty comes into play was rather brilliant.

The second episode was definitely a little "weak" but still a good show. Going to watch the 3rd tonight. Then I guess...I have to wait until Netflix gets the rest or I can buy the DVD? ... and yay to a 2nd season.

Everyone, until the Guy Ritchie film, saw Watson as effectively a grown up Robin... a guy who's ENTIRE job was to be an idiot and ask stupid questions while Holmes explained things.

Now they see him more as the moderator of Holmes in general.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The second episode was definitely a little "weak" but still a good show. Going to watch the 3rd tonight. Then I guess...I have to wait until Netflix gets the rest or I can buy the DVD? ... and yay to a 2nd season.

Unfortunately , it's a BBC thing, each episode is about 90 minutes, and there were only three episodes for the first season.

Everyone, until the Guy Ritchie film, saw Watson as effectively a grown up Robin... a guy who's ENTIRE job was to be an idiot and ask stupid questions while Holmes explained things.

I still feel dumb that it wasn't until after the Guy Ritchie film that I realized that House is essentially a medical Holmes, with Wilson as his Watson. Here, it even sounds alike!

This

Comparing Guy's Ritchie Holmes to the rest I gotta say that it's the most "real" one. Most of the movies don't delve into the darker aspects of Holmes; of which he had plenty (specially when A. Doyle tried to destroy the character) The characters are not only human but interesting.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I would have liked that recent Hollywood Holmes movie a lot more if it hadn't been the usual CGI/special effects action bonanza, with a ridiculous ending. But that's Hollywood for you. Because of that, tho, I only found it "watchable." :shifty:

Caught a replay of the "Women of Sci-Fi Calender documentary" from a few years back, which was..quirkily interesting

Michael Shanks (aka Daniel Jackson of Stargate SG1 fame) apparently came up with the idea, and Christopher Judge (Teal'c of SG1) is a photographer in his spare time.

The whole assortment of Sci-Fi shows filmed in Vancouver being really quite familial, they got a bunch of their friends and relatives to turn up and be the stars of a Sci-Fi calendar.

Kind of amusing the behind the scenes and seeing them chatting and acting as their real selves rather then the assortment of characters they're so known for by the fans.

But yes, the likes of Erica Durance (known more for Smallville, but also guest starred on SG-1 and other sci-fi) happens to be married to Judge's brother. Shanks is married to Lexa Doig (of Andromeda fame), and then they pulled in friends from the various shows they all work in .. So Teryl Rothery, Ona Grauer, Laura Bertram, Rachel Luttrell, Brandy Ledford...

Some interesting background chat, and just how interrelated it all gets. Also having these actresses who were all "wow, modelling pinup style for the cameras is a lot of hard work in its way"

Saw Devil.

Could have satisfied as a Sci-Fi original. Completely shallow cast, no development, and the only guy who we're remotely likely to give a flip about isn't in any danger at all.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Maybe it's not a remake of Verhoeven's Starship Troopers. But a faithful adaption of Heinlein's.

Also, Liam Neeson's career is going downhill. Battleship and now... The Grey ? Bunch of plane crash survivors hunted down by a pack of wolves.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rented and watched Night Watch last night. Plot was fairly good. I like it enough to want to rent Day Watch. The cinematography (I guess, it's what I'll blame) was wretched at times. But passable for the most part. They have very few action scenes, but they're impossible to follow.

The director wasn't a fan of the American makeover he was hired to do. The original is in Danish, with Nicolai Coster Valdau and Kim Bodnia. It's many kilopaesecs better. Or is it farther.

Unless you are talking about the Russian sci fi thing.

The Russian one. I have no idea what you're talking about for the first part of your post.