Bin Laden is dead

"meanwhile in afghanistan:

Heavy fighting takes place in Herat

4 American tanks eliminated in Gerishk

6 US soldiers killed as tank eliminated amid Mujahideen attack the US base located in Watapur district of Kunar province

US military base comes under Mujahideen attack in Paktia

Mujahideen attack joint NATO military convoy

Zhiri explosion hits US foot patrol, 3 killed and wounded

NATO fuel tanker torched in Panjwaee

Blast in Kunduz kills four NATO soldiers"

The legit links you've provided is awesome. It does me proud. :lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A 40-minute raid to kill 5 people, one of them an old man and his wife? Osama mustn't have gone out without a bang. I wonder how many infidels he took with him.

There were zero casualties among the attackers. The 40-minutes was probably mostly spent watching for movement to make sure everyone was dead after the initial barrages of fire.

They did lose a chopper, though I cannot imagine that was a huge concern in the circumstances.

Apparently it was a mechanical issue, so they just torched it themselves.

Given how the choppers were able to get within easy striking distance of the Capitol without drawing the attention of the Pakistani military, and given how much care was taken in destroying the crippled one, I'm guessing that those birds had some tech that the U.S. would rather not let into the hands of the Pakistanis.

Come to think of it, what would you be thinking today if you were a Pakistani military, political, or ISI leader who also did dealings with AQ and/or the Taliban? Sure, the ferocity with which the U.S. went after Bin Laden was rather sui generis, but, still, the capacity to act that was shown this weekend amounts to a pretty big warning not to piss off the people who command the SEALs.

They did lose a chopper, though I cannot imagine that was a huge concern in the circumstances.

Apparently it was a mechanical issue, so they just torched it themselves.

Odd how they always have mechanical issues in combat zones.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There are several 'odd' things, mechanical failure is at least plausible since any mechanical issue would be taken very seriously given historical lessons. And they'd probably have some justification for claiming mechanical problems in a situation where minor but otherwise repairable damage from enemy action had occured and a safety first strategy adopted.

That you could carry out a 40 minute raid within a kilometer of an officers academy (roughly equivalent to raiding Sandhurst or West Point, and even without considering that one of the most heavily militarised 'borders' in the world is only a few more km away) without the Pakistanis knowing about it is rather less plausible, though it's an understandable thing to lie about given the internal situation in Pakistan. I'd expect a soldier to be able to walk 800m inside ten minutes let alone if there are unexplained choppers and gunfire going off as encouragement.

LOL at Europeans halfway around the world criticizing Americans for celebrating the death of this scum. To put things in perspective I've grown up 15 minutes from New York City. My father watches the Towers come down from the roof of the Forbes building in which he worked for many years. My family knew a few people who died, many more who were friends-of-friends who died. On the day of the attacks, I heard nothing from my father for well over 12 hours, feared the worse. I watched my mother cry as they came down knowing that parents of children I went to school with worked in those buildings. Are any of you aware what it is like to be told, as a 10 year old that your mother or father was killed in a terrorist attack? Are any of you aware what it is like to TELL a 10 year old that their mother or father was killed in a terrorist attack? I cannot imagine the hatred I would feel towards that man had my father or mother died such a meaningless death at the hands of a coward who deliberately kills civilians.

Is the killing of bin Laden that important in the grand scheme of the war on terror? certainly not. There are others. It is not over.

Is the killing of bin Laden that important to American families that were destroyed by the actions carried out from the mind of this man? Of course. To say otherwise is stupid of you.

This is a psychological victory and brings closure to thousands of families affected by this man's actions. Why the **** SHOULDN'T I celebrate the death of a horrible human being? The world is a better place without him.

Get off your high horses.

Edited by Krookie

There are several 'odd' things, mechanical failure is at least plausible since any mechanical issue would be taken very seriously given historical lessons. And they'd probably have some justification for claiming mechanical problems in a situation where minor but otherwise repairable damage from enemy action had occured and a safety first strategy adopted.

That you could carry out a 40 minute raid within a kilometer of an officers academy (roughly equivalent to raiding Sandhurst or West Point, and even without considering that one of the most heavily militarised 'borders' in the world is only a few more km away) without the Pakistanis knowing about it is rather less plausible, though it's an understandable thing to lie about given the internal situation in Pakistan. I'd expect a soldier to be able to walk 800m inside ten minutes let alone if there are unexplained choppers and gunfire going off as encouragement.

I am under the impression that raids into Pakistan territory by US special forces are somewhat regular. While I doubt the Pakistani government is happy about that, they seem to have accepted it in order to secure necessary aid.

LOL at Europeans halfway around the world criticizing Americans for celebrating the death of this scum.

LOL at you for lumping all Europeans together.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I didn't? I never said "all europeans".

When you talk about people as "Europeans", you're already doing it.

They'll never admit that one of their high-tech toys got shot down unless there is no way to deny. See the F-117 in Serbia.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

LOL at Europeans halfway around the world criticizing Americans for celebrating the death of this scum.

LOL at you for lumping all Europeans together.

I didn't? I never said "all europeans".

Americans are fat and stupid.

Yeah, who needs to use "all".

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I am under the impression that raids into Pakistan territory by US special forces are somewhat regular. While I doubt the Pakistani government is happy about that, they seem to have accepted it in order to secure necessary aid.

You're not wrong. They've been complaining about it for years. Although in recent months it's been drone-tastic.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They'll never admit that one of their high-tech toys got shot down unless there is no way to deny. See the F-117 in Serbia.

I guess most forces would do that though, better to make yourself look incompetent at maintenance than admit your adversary inflicted some harm. Doubt that there was anything particularly fancy in the chopper, which I assume is a Blackhawk.

Also, krookie meant the Europeans in this thread, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also, krookie meant the Europeans in this thread, no ?

*points at his earlier reply*

Just as big a mistake.

Hm, I guess I took his statement the wrong way.

Five men arrested on terror charges at Sellafield nuclear power plant.

Entirely possible that it's innocuous, but apparently they were filming the plant, five bangladeshi lads in their twenties. There's **** all in Cumbria really, so unless they're birdwatchers I don't know why they'd be there otherwise. If anyone were taking bets I'd put twenty on this being a build up to an attack. Although hopefully we got all concerned IF that's the case.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So... it all comes down to who does what first. BL prepares the deaths of several thousands, radical douches celebrate across the Muslim world, Americans throw a fit. A decade later, the US assassinate BL, radical douches celebrate in the US, and then throw a fit at those who dare question the legitimacy of government-sanctioned assassinations. Can't say I'm surprised, we've been hearing for years that it's A-OK to disregard the law when it's in the name of "peace and security", after all.

Personally I'm glad the SOB is dead, but that doesn't make it right for supposedly democratic, free states to carry out assassinations with impunity. Surah 5:45 is alive and well, right guys?

I agree it is unseemly to celebrate the death of someone. I personally would never attend a parade over something like this. But you know what is a heck of a lot worse than an unseemly celebration?

TERRORISM

:sweat:

And you know what's worse than terrorism?

NAZIS

And you know what's worse than nazis?

NAZI ZOMBIES!

;(

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Numbers, there's a key ****ing difference. Bin Laden was just some self-appointed rich douche who one day decided he could kill thousands of people. The US administration has the freely given democratic assent of millions.

As for it being illegal, I've already mentioned on the forum the Justice dept. analysis which went into attempts to take out Pablo Escobar. These are detailed in the book "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden.

-Elwood Blues

The US administration has the freely given democratic assent of millions.
Huh? We have the rule of law to prevent things like the Terror from repeating themselves. Yeah, yeah. It's the majority doing it so it must be right. Don't mind me, just your run of the mill professional dissident making a fuss over ethical thingamajigs that nobody seems to give a flying **** about anymore.

As for it being illegal, I've already mentioned on the forum the Justice dept. analysis which went into attempts to take out Pablo Escobar. These are detailed in the book "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden.
Not even remotely relevant. The US govt has been carrying out "targeted killings" -an euphemism for assassination- for several years now, in the open. If the SEAL team had been sent to apprehend BL and he had been killed in the process, things would be different. But he was marked for death and an extra-judicial killing was carried out by a death squad. Whether he deserved it or not is irrelevant.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.