RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Found this while doing some research (basically I just googled nightshape's quotations and ran into this)

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/vi...ver_be_art.html

Ebert's not a gamer, this is like asking a blind man if a movie is art?

What do you think they'd say...

Interesting read all the same.

Edit: You won't find the quote it was off a private forum.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Ebert's not a gamer, this is like asking a blind man if a movie is art?

Gamers are not artists, that would be like asking a blind man if a movie is art.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

:no:

:shocks him with a cattle prod:

Good morning! :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The US National Endowment for the Arts now considers videogames eligible for artistic funding, legally recognizing them as an art form.

The "games as art" debate will likely continue raging for years before videogames reach complete cultural acceptance, but at least one important organization now officially considers games art: The US Federal Government. Or, rather, the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) considers games art - which technically amounts to the exact same thing.

For those not familiar with the NEA, it is a US government organization-slash-program which funds artistic projects around the country which will "enhance the public good." If you're an artist who wants to make a beautiful sculpture for a public place, for instance, and you don't want to sell it commercially - but you would like to continue eating - you can apply for a grant of up to $200,000 to make your work of art. There are all sorts of regulations and scrutiny in the application process, but that's the basic idea, anyway.

The NEA opened its application doors this week for 2012, and announced that it would be changing its criteria for what counted as art. Most significantly for our chosen pastime is that the category formerly known as The Arts on Radio and Television will now be known as The Arts in Media. It will include film, television and radio artistic projects, but will also add satellite-based and internet-based media (as opposed to just landline-based broadcasts) and, you guessed it, interactive media:

Projects may include high profile multi-part or single television and radio programs (documentaries and dramatic narratives); media created for theatrical release; performance programs; artistic segments for use within an existing series; multi-part webisodes; installations; and interactive games. Short films, five minutes and under, will be considered in packages of three or more. (Emphasis ours)

Of course, any developer who wants federal funding for his or her next game will be competing with filmmakers, TV producers, radio stars and now internet productions too. Still, it means that an aspiring game-maker with an idea for an artistic game - which would have to be available for free, mind you - might have a shot at making it without being beholden to a larger publisher.

Naturally, this wouldn't just be the AAA-style of game that we're all accustomed to. Not only is $200k laughably small to the sort of money that goes into your average Call of Duty or Portal, the NEA only offers grants to projects which it deems for the public good. It's a safe bet that whatever game projects it approves - if any - will likely be different from what we see on shelves at GameStop.

But really, whether or not this grant will fund the sort of games that you and I would play for fun in our free time is ultimately irrelevant. What matters is that the NEA now officially considers videogames worthy of artistic merit, which is pretty damn cool.

Source.

guys, you're still going at it? amazing :shrugz:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

guys, you're still going at it? amazing :shrugz:

When in doubt? Smash ones face against a wall until unconcious!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your Region

Basically, they're going to trust users to tell them their location. They won't do it by ip like everyone else.

So, if any Australians want to get a non-Australian Witcher 2, it's an account setting away.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

*yawn* looks poo

These are the same folks who made the free Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory & Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. I've yet to play any multiplayer team based shooter that has captivated me as much as those two. These are games I play for years at a time. Between the balance they put in the game and the new parkour SMART system its a Day 1 for me. If you aren't into objective team based mp games then yeah, you can ignore this one but if you love games like Enemy Territory & Team Fortress this game is right up your alley.

I'd almost forgotten... ITS OUT TOMORROW! :aiee: Then next Tuesday L.A. Noire & FNV: Honest Hearts. Good month for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

These are the same folks who made the free Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

I had completely dismissed the game until I found this out about two hours ago.

Team Fortress 2 is a piece of crap, I can't believe I wasted my money on it... some of my buddies are trying to persuade me to buy Brink, but I have a feeling it will be exactly like TF2 but with jumping off the walls... bleh I say, too bad there's no MP demo

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Brink is all pre-loaded and ready to go for me, unlocking somewhere around 9pm tonight judging by time on the Steam page. I have a craving for some good co-op and multiplayer, which I'm hoping this fills. Never played the Enemy Territory games.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Team Fortress 2 is a piece of crap

You and I are enemies FOR LYFE.