HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

Absolutely enthralled by this series. Tyrion is the best character by a mile and I want to see a lot more of him.

(haven't read the books)

I'd be hard-pressed to call Tyrion the "best character." He's certainly entertaining, but that's largely because he's a pretty clear author-surrogate. He's the one whose values system is most similar to that of the audience, he is wrapped in an ugly package so that the less-likeable characters can exhibit their shallowness in his direction, and he is given the author's privilege of having witty retorts that took hours to think up ready at a moment's notice. A fun character to have around, but hardly the most interesting or original creation in the story.

(That said, I haven't been watching the series, and Dinklage's performance has been widely praised, so perhaps he's elevating the source material a bit.)

Wait, last night was the final episode of the 1st season? I guess I better turn on On-Demand and watch it, then.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Dinklage rules, he should play all the parts by himself.

Ohh good, I thought we were going to have undead Carl Drogo as a major character with even less room for acting finesse.

Me and my group of co-tards were all jumping and cheering when it was finally clear that he was totally dead. I hate that actor.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Taken as a whole I think they did a very good job with Season 1. There are a few things left out that were important and a few things added that gave a nice depth to the characters so all in all it's a positive. Looking forward to next spring. GRRM had better pick up the pace. If they keep it going and he keeps up a five year cycle on each book they will catch him before book six comes out.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Apologies if I indulge in hyperbole, but the whole series was a triumph and the best thing that's happened to fantasy as a genre in a long time.

High production standards, outstanding actors (both known and newer, I could watch Peter Dinklage paint a wall and not get bored), a great script.

I loved the ending of the season and can't wait for the second. Kudos to HBO and all involved.

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Apologies if I indulge in hyperbole, but the whole series was a triumph and the best thing that's happened to fantasy as a genre in a long time.

High production standards, outstanding actors (both known and newer, I could watch Peter Dinklage paint a wall and not get bored), a great script.

I loved the ending of the season and can't wait for the second. Kudos to HBO and all involved.

unless you is a fan o' the books, we suspect that the show's lack o' focus on a specific storyline and handful o' characters coulda' been disturbing. also, while we understand that it is sacrilege 'mongst sci-fi/fantasy nerdlings to criticize sean bean, boromir's performance were little better than the mouth-breather they got to play jon snow. well, at least eddard is dead, so we not have to endure sean phoning it in for a second season.

we enjoyed 'cause we like the books... but am not sure if we would go so far as to call a "triumph." however, am gonna agree that is probable the best swords and sorcery kinda fantasy show we can recollect.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just as an example my partner, a lady who hasn't read the books nor has ever seen any fantasy beyond the Lord of the Rings movies was mesmerized by this show.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

^The same goes for my brother. After he saw the show, he told me that he HAD to read the books.

Sadly GRRM is a piss poor writer.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yeah, the first book at least, is a masterwork in bad literary style. It's really just worth it for backstabbing politicking. The TV show is much better.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't like this new paradigm all this GoT stuff is creating. Every single fantasy book is compared to ASoIaF and it's set up as some kind of an untouchable idol to be praised for all eternity.

I do like all the deconstruction it's doing, but it's not exactly literary fiction and at the moment it's stuck in the LOST sinkhole of inflated expectations due to uncapped potential. I'd like to see what people think when and if we get to see the prince that was promised, adult dragons and spider-riding abominations.

Hopefully this will help funnel people into other cool fantasy authors like Scott Lynch and Joe Abercrombie.

Yeah, the first book at least, is a masterwork in bad literary style. It's really just worth it for backstabbing politicking. The TV show is much better.

I think he's a great storyteller, I just think his actual writing is pretty piss poor, it doesn't make it hard to read so much as a disjointed experience whence readings.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Well, since we're sharing subjective judgements I find GRRM's writing to be tight, controlled, and violent. I don't see why you'd find him bad at writing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.