Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Ahh, they aren't that bad. My mother in law is addicted to Bejewelled...my wife loves it, and we have an ongoing contest on who has the high score on the machine.

Then there's Minecraft...but that's getting off topic.

o:)

I'm eagerly awaiting ME3's release. I'm thinking it's pretty interesting that

ME3 starts right after and ensuing the events of the Arrival DLC...with the trial of Shepard being interupted by the full on assault on the Earth. I wonder if they'll answer why the Reapers decided to specifically target humanity and why Earth was one of the first targets. I would have thought they'd go after humanity's main military command headquarters (I think that's not on earth) first instead of Earth...but hopefully they'll have thought of those answers prior to that

The have their moments, is the lack of consistency throughout that bothers me. They can't decide between an earnest tone or a light one, what's worse they probably don't think that there is anything wrong with it. They haphazardly believe that's deep and profound, whilst they don't have any major unifying themes to tie their story.

But that's a problem with a lot of games, I can already guess what ME3 is gonna be like. Prancing around the galaxy gathering allies, we are going to resume our romances from previous games (probably with some overly dramatic overtones of impending doom) and a few major surprises that are going to either make us laugh or cry. :)

Just like any other BW game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"bio makes crpgs."

BIO makes whatever kind of games they want. heck, their first game wans't even a RPG. LMAO

no, it wasn't. their first product weren't even a game... were medical software. their first entertainment software, a mech game... sucked. then they made bg 1 and had great success. their second non-crpg, mdk2, did not suck. mdk2 was an excellent adventure/shooter, but hardly anybody bought it. bio makes crpgs. that doesn't preclude the possibility o' bio making shooters, mech simulators and adventure games. even so, the biowarians apparently learned their lesson well and since the release o' mdk2 over a decade ago, they has described all of their games as crpgs.

duh.

one o' our recurring criticisms o' bio has been that they tries to make games that appeal to everybody, which is functionally impossible. anybody who peruses the bio boards for 10 minutes will understand the sisyphean challenge they face. bio simplifies character development choices in me2 and a bunch o' folks like, and a bunch o' folks hate. after bg1, a vast number o' people complained 'bout the pointless wandering involved with the bg1 maps, so bio largely removes such stuff in bg2 and a new group o' people show up complaining-- "How could you remove the bg1 exploration? That is what made the first game great."

*snort*

am not sure what kinda endemic obtuseness has seized the bio brain trust that makes 'em think that there is a perfect development alchemy whereby they can find the ideal combination o' features and elements that will result in near everybody being satisfied with their game. taste in games is no different than tastes in food. there is no perfect food that appeals to everybody... and even if there were, if people had to eat the perfect food all the time they would get tired of it real quick. try and make the perfect universal food based on feedback from customers would result in an utterly unpalatable mess... 'cause some folks like sweet and others prefer sour, while some is liking heavy while others likes light, etc. nobody would ever attempt to makes the perfect food, 'cause tastes is too varied. nevertheless, bio is trying for something similar with their games.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

try and make the perfect universal food based on feedback from customers would result in an utterly unpalatable mess... 'cause some folks like sweet and others prefer sour, while some is liking heavy while others likes light, etc. nobody would ever attempt to makes the perfect food, 'cause tastes is too varied. nevertheless, bio is trying for something similar with their games.

HA! Good Fun!

I agree with your point, and think it's a pretty good analogy.

The only thing I would say in defense of Bioware, and its not really a defense more like an observation, isn't the "universal food" syndrome endemic to video game development as a whole at the moment, rather than just BW in specific?

Bioware may be pushing it harder than say Bethesda, but that's because BW is a better developer than Bethesda and more capable of setiing out a desired goal and working to achieve it.

Now of course, I'll never be able to look at a BW game and not think of Soylent Green.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I agree with your point, and think it's a pretty good analogy.

The only thing I would say in defense of Bioware, and its not really a defense more like an observation, isn't the "universal food" syndrome endemic to video game development as a whole at the moment, rather than just BW in specific?

Bioware may be pushing it harder than say Bethesda, but that's because BW is a better developer than Bethesda and more capable of setiing out a desired goal and working to achieve it.

Now of course, I'll never be able to look at a BW game and not think of Soylent Green.

But is this a good thing? If BW wants to do crossover games then they should do them and stop catering to us.

Also generalizing is not advancing the industry, I mean what if Spielberg decided to generalize on Schindler's list and add a little comedy? Eventually they should figure out what works for which purposes. Until then they are making a series of lukewarm games that are none too pleasing.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Until then they are making a series of lukewarm games that are none too pleasing.

Yep. I totally agree. Entire genres of game have vanished: everything from squad tactical combat to flight sims because everyone just wants to make that one super generic game that will appeal to all and sell billions. Frankly, I blame Blizard for f'ing everything up.

But eh, my only point re: BW is that they're not the only ones doing it. They're just better at it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Until then they are making a series of lukewarm games that are none too pleasing.

Yep. I totally agree. Entire genres of game have vanished: everything from squad tactical combat to flight sims because everyone just wants to make that one super generic game that will appeal to all and sell billions. Frankly, I blame Blizard for f'ing everything up.

But eh, my only point re: BW is that they're not the only ones doing it. They're just better at it.

True what you said, but the matter is that BW is the most prominent and outward about from all the RPG developers. I can understand the reason's behind this tactics, the economy is hard and everyone wants to sell. A wider audience translates to more bucks, for a lot of devs this means dumbed down mechanics and difficulty (e.g Starcraft 2) but in BW it has taken over every aspect. They went from CRPGs to Action/RPG and their stories have become more stagnant, the premises and major elements have taken the back seat to companions and romance ( ME2, DA2) which quite frankly is something of a hit/miss relation.

village_idiot.gif

Also generalizing is not advancing the industry, I mean what if Spielberg decided to generalize on Schindler's list and add a little comedy?

you mention schindler's list, but what 'bout transformers, and all the other formulaic blockbuster films? actually, the closest thing to a sure-fire win in the movie industry is family movies. why? bigger potential audience. games is expensive to develop and publish. movies is even more expensive than is games. sadly, schindler's list is an exception rather than the rule... and for understandable, if regrettable reasons.

honestly, we wouldn't mind if games industry somehow became like movies. say what you will 'bout the movie industry, but by years end we typical can identify almost a couple dozen good movies (if documentaries is included). here is a couple "best of" lists for movies:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/09/01/best-movies-of-2010/

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/12/th...ms_of_2010.html

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/12/21/the-bes...f-2010.all.html

looking at the aforementioned lists, we got no difficulty finding a dozen keepers... and there is some stuff we liked that doesn't show up on such lists.

how many good games does we play in a year? three.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not looking forward to the day when the game industry settles on a formula: the ideal mixture o' story and gameplay elements to achieve Blockbuster status.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So, as for the start of ME3:

Is Shepard even triable if his spectre status was restored? I was under the impression that spectres were above the law. So, therefore, if he were being tried, wouldn't it be logical that it'd be in front of the council on the Citadel?

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

Is Shepard even triable if his spectre status was restored? I was under the impression that spectres were above the law. So, therefore, if he were being tried, wouldn't it be logical that it'd be in front of the council on the Citadel?

Actually, at the End of Arrival...

WARNING...MEGA SPOILER if you haven't played or at least got the same end to Arrival that I did

The batarians are looking for any reason to go to War with Earth. Despite that they would have died anyways with the Reapers...the death of 300,000 Batarians means that you just handed them the reason to go to war with Earth on a Silver Platter. The Council has decided to stay out of the terminus systems and outlying reaches in matters dealing with Earth Colonization. That doesn't mean they'll give you up easily however. Being a spectre means that you have to make your own messes, and sometimes clean up after yourself however...especially when it's on your own initiative and possibly beyond council aid.

The Earth therefore will have to go on a Witch Hunt if they even want to stand a chance of appeasing the Batarians, or face them all alone. It's made clear that the target is you, and you are taking the fall. Humanity will hunt you down and force you to trial if you refuse. Short of hiding in the Citidel the rest of your life...which makes you pretty ineffective Spectre, not certain where you could go to avoid them. They WILL bring you to trial to try to ward off the war with the Batarians...Spectre or not, and Council or not. I agreed to go and stand trial on my own...without them hunting me down.

I expect the Council will probably send some representative to protest, or to state their position in it all (possibly Garrus? or another?), but overall, it's going to be up to a Spectre...aka...you...to clear you of the mess and get the Council clear enough to prevent war with the Batarians and out reaches. They probably aren't too worried about the Reapers...if ME2 was any indication...except maybe the Asari delegate...and maybe the Human if you have Anderson on the council

So, you are on trial since Earth will hunt you down and either force you to trial...regardless of your standing with the Council...and blatantly ignoring the council if need be...or you can volunteer and show up on your own initiative. Either way, you end up on trial so that Humanity will have a scapegoat for the Batarians (and possibly with the consequence that it's a sham trial in which they already have decided to convict you and hand you over to the Batarians regardless, or if you have enough presence and influence...to at least appease the Batarians with a show...but hide you away from them so that they won't get you...nevertheless still convicting you and using the sentence to be an excuse to hide you away) in order to prevent a war.

The spoilery bits above are the long version, but history is rife with situations where people who are not (normally) subject to law are tried, or when retroactive criminal laws are enacted, when it is a political necessity (sometimes just politically convenient). Besides, even from a legal-technical point of view, all they'd need would be a nod from the Citadel council, something they'd be sure to get based on even the best possible relationship with the Council post-ME2.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Starcraft2 is dumbed down, cause unit pathfinding actually works now, so it takes less skill to play. :thumbsup:
It all makes sense now.

The spoilery bits above are the long version, but history is rife with situations where people who are not (normally) subject to law are tried, or when retroactive criminal laws are enacted, when it is a political necessity (sometimes just politically convenient). Besides, even from a legal-technical point of view, all they'd need would be a nod from the Citadel council, something they'd be sure to get based on even the best possible relationship with the Council post-ME2.

+ The Alliance never acknowledged Shep being a Council agent. "You're still part of the Alliance miitary, bla bla." Shep being the madman that he is, just nods like a good pet.

"no, it wasn't. their first product weren't even a game... were medical software. "

POINT. NOT. FOUND.

If youa re going to try to be funny make sense. I did write their 'first game was not a RPG'. Absolutely nothing you posted refutes that statement.. so why make stuff off? I didn't say anything about 'first product'.

Bottom line, however, is that as (a not so much) independent company, BIO can make whatever theyw ant then any potential customer can decide for themselves if they want to purchase it. Is it a risk to do stuff that isn't what they're not known for? Sure, but that EA BIO's risk to take.

If anything, it proves that they dont want the staus quo. besdies, BIO has been talking about doing shooters/mmos way back when they were working on the BGs.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"no, it wasn't. their first product weren't even a game... were medical software. "

POINT. NOT. FOUND.

should make that your signature. am suspecting that vol no longer lives in kanada, but rather in the perpetual state o' point not found.

*shrug*

we get what we deserve for direct responding to vol.

HA! Good Fun!

dumbed down mechanics and difficulty (e.g Starcraft 2)

What.

Starcraft2 is dumbed down, cause unit pathfinding actually works now, so it takes less skill to play. :)

The main campaign was, it was basically "you get this new unit, use it to succeed in this level" rinse and repeat for every planet. I remember where every mission wasn't a tutorial on how to use a new unit.

village_idiot.gif

Grom gets skooled and he instead of justa dmitting it like a man, he tries to confuse and ignore the issue... like a lwayer.. heh. I like lawyers.

Volourn: BIO's first game wasn't a RPG.

Grom: No, it wasn't. BIO's first product wasn't even a game.

Volourn: And? I was discussing their first games in a game thread not their other products.

Grom: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was mean to skool me like that so I'll say some hilarious non releated stuff. R00fles!

Volourn: HA! Good fun! Good fun indeed!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Lotsa info...

Thanks.

I wasn't looking forward of trial, especially since I skipped the DLC but... There are potential for great Renegade racist dialogue choices, maybe even connecting it back to Mass Effect free "DLC". I have to admit I loved NWN2 trial, where you were accused of destruction of that village. Evil dialogue option - "I would have torched the place sooner or later anyway" was my one of the all time fav replies. I also enjoyed Selkar (sp? ) trial(s) in KotOR and how you could manipulate evidence, use force mindtricks to make witness to forget or lie and even frame Sith (on some cases).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Sounds like it was a good thing of my Shep to murder the council in ME1.

Then again; how will my ME3 start then? :lol:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The Game Informer article confirms that you will see the motion comic even if you import, in which case it will recap what happened. Apparently it'll prompt you if there is a decision that you don't have in your saves, so those without DLC will be brought up to speed on Arrival and Overlord, at least. Conjecture, but it might allow people to import unfinished saves as well (knowing how common that stuff is), and allow them to fill in the blanks? I think DA2 had something like that, where the game autocompleted your playthrough by grabbing some default decisions based on what you'd done so far in your save.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif