Crysis 2 pirated

Serrano

I don't think that there is a direct mean to fight piracy.

yeah, they should be looking for ways to prevent it, Steam is a good example. not only because of digital distribution, but mostly thanks to achievements, friend lists etc.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah, they should be looking for ways to prevent it, Steam is a good example. not only because of digital distribution, but mostly thanks to achievements, friend lists etc.

Steam is very much a form of DRM.

I will be pretty bummed if Steam and GOG become the only way to continue playing PC games, but I guess I'll have to adapt.

Doesn't that prove that piracy is damaging to the industry in and of itself? Would we be in this situation if piracy was nonexistent?

I still don't think that PC gaming would be the strongest platform; even without piracy. Maybe this whole situation it's one of those cyclical things, where the attention shifts from PC to Consoles back and forth. It certainly was the case during the arcade years, then again in the new golden age and now with the current gen of consoles.

Building a community it's a good way to ensure a sell, it builds a rapport between developer/publisher and the customer. There is a personal investment on the customer part as they feel part of something and are less likely to take any action that may be detrimental. Then again that it's not a direct mean of fighting piracy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Steam is very much a form of DRM.

oh? Valve must be really good at concealing it, because I never notice.

that it's not a direct mean of fighting piracy.

that's exactly why it could actually work

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

When I see some hard data that piracy is seriously harming the video game industry, and some legitimate analysis of said data, I'll take it seriously.

And what kind of evidence could publisher provide?

Save for occasional exception like Chaos Theory or Assasins Creed 2 crack times for PC games are very consistent.

Difference between games cracked on day 1 and ones that took a week are unlikely to be significant.

You

the point isn't how many times a game gets cracked, but how many actual sales were lost due to that. since there's no way of telling, might as well drop the subject. that's my view of it anyway

Walsingham said:

that it's not a direct mean of fighting piracy.

that's exactly why it could actually work

It's a double edged sword, familiarity breeds contempt after all. To take the Crysis situation as an example; for discussion's sake lets say that they had a strong community. They decide not to release a demo for PC and one member of that community with entitlement issues decides to hack the game/pirate it. Just because he feels that they have betrayed his trust/sold out to console.

It can work at the right emotional distance and if that trust it's not abused; BIOWARE. :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Nope. I suggest you buy a dvd movie with the FBI warning (instead of a pirate copy where the warning has been deleted). :p

Same thing in Europe, certainly in Nordic countries where criminal and civil proceedings can be handled simultaneously (like they were in the Pirate Bay case).

Why do those who get upset at piracy feel the need to, and that it is OK to, imply (if they're a gutless worm crawling on their belly) or outright say that those with a contrary view are pirates- thus defaming them. If you're going to go on about morality and the like then surely it is also immoral to slander?

Hmm, you're a lawyer, is defaming someone on the internet slander or libel, I've always wondered whether it's counted as written (I presume) or spoken, or is it covered by the blanket defamation? Am I obliged to give you a chance to apologise or do I skip straight to the litigation at dawn part? Where does a slander stand on the morality scale relative to 'stealing'? Am I being serious?*

[..]

I'll give you credit, you were at least blunt about it unlike the usual so you're not a gutless worm. It's also rather amusing because I'm situationally incapable of pirating, seeing as I have dial up, or a mobile connection with a whopping 2 GB data cap.

Still, if all you can come up with is TPB my point stands, if you pirate something you'll get sued rather than prosecuted except under unusual circumstances like running a large commercial enterprise. Mass mailings of 'infringement notices' would trump actual criminal cases by a factor of several thousand, I would suspect.

*Well, the first question is a serious one, and I have always wondered about the defamation part though I'd guess it would vary by jurisdiction.

Edited by Zoraptor

oh by the way, while we're on the subject. In Russia it is (at least it was 2-3 years ago) very popular among internet service providers to keep a dedicated server with pirated games and movies as a part of a package for its clients. there are literally thousands of terabites of illegal content. and any given user doesn't even have to download anything, you just click the play button and watch any movie you want. it's a little different with games of course.

so, let's take a pirate radio station for example. does listening to it make you an accomplice (if it plays unlicensed music or whatever)? does it mean you can be punished just like the ones distributing it? that you deserve the same sentence?

I don't know. there are so many little things and nuances about the legal side of it I really don't understand how some people can be so blunt about it.

Walsingham said:

oh by the way, while we're on the subject. In Russia it is (at least it was 2-3 years ago) very popular among internet service providers to keep a dedicated server with pirated games and movies as a part of a package for its clients. there are literally thousands of terabites of illegal content. and any given user doesn't even have to download anything, you just click the play button and watch any movie you want. it's a little different with games of course.

so, let's take a pirate radio station for example. does listening to it make you an accomplice (if it plays unlicensed music or whatever)? does it mean you can be punished just like the ones distributing it? that you deserve the same sentence?

I don't know. there are so many little things and nuances about the legal side of it I really don't understand how some people can be so blunt about it.

Russia has no respect for copyright laws or DRM, a reason why a lot pirates exploit Russian versions of games in order to crack them. Mayhap publishers should stop releasing games in Russia if they are getting pirated :p

Also your analogy it's a little faulty since the act of listening can't be charged since it's unintentional. Piracy; from a criminal point of view, would be more akin to the police finding a basement full pirated movies and charging you with counterfeit.

village_idiot.gif

I doubt people will download a dev build. Maybe a few who want to leak the campaign, but even pirates like a final product.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I doubt people will download a dev build. Maybe a few who want to leak the campaign, but even pirates like a final product.

Curiosity.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When you've calmed down, look back at my original message and notice the "wink" at the end.

Cheers,

N

And why does somebody think that people who defend a certain type of criminal might partake themselves? Seems like a reasonable assumption - not always true, of course.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And why does somebody think that people who defend a certain type of criminal might partake themselves? Seems like a reasonable assumption - not always true, of course.

I didn't take it seriously, as I said at the end the only serious thing was the question of why so many people who object to piracy on moral grounds think it's OK to throw unfounded accusations around despite that being morally questionable as well, as it always happens.

And that's a garbage assumption. It's also irrelevant as I didn't come close to defending piracy by the most broad definition possible.

Seriously though, please say you're being sarcastic. o:)

:p it seems I didn't understand the meaning behind "DRM" the first time. can't you play steam games in offline mode? or do you mean that you can't even install them without logging into steam?

Walsingham said:

I didn't take it seriously, as I said at the end the only serious thing was the question of why so many people who object to piracy on moral grounds think it's OK to throw unfounded accusations around despite that being morally questionable as well, as it always happens.

And that's a garbage assumption. It's also irrelevant as I didn't come close to defending piracy by the most broad definition possible.

It was a reply to your question, not directed at anything you said. I think it's a very sound assumption, in general - as in, having more than 50 % strike rate. o:)

I'm not sure why a person would spend time defending piracy, and then not pirate themselves. I mean, you've already justified it in your own head, it's not like it is hard to find pirate sites to download from. So yeah, it is a reasonable assumption indeed.

I'm not sure why a person would spend time defending piracy, and then not pirate themselves. I mean, you've already justified it in your own head, it's not like it is hard to find pirate sites to download from. So yeah, it is a reasonable assumption indeed.

I believe everyone pirates something to some degree at some point. I've met very few people who are truely innocent.

I've done it, but I haven't copied games since I was a kid. I saw what the result was of pirating software can cause, the Amiga died, the games development industry went through a weird time, lots of lost jobs.

The worst thing for me is a person who pirates a game, and then proceeds to tell the world, its buggy, and it sucks, and that they finished it and hated it. They're the ultimate wankers in my opinion.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I used to be on the moderation team of a relatively popular indie (not genre) band. In my time there, I learned that:

1) People will see themselves as the supreme fans of a band, and yet not be ready to pay a cent for their music

2) Not buying an artist's music will actually result in them starving and/or quitting.

Let's just say that it changed my views a lot more than any RIAA propaganda, ever.

The worst thing for me is a person who pirates a game, and then proceeds to tell the world, its buggy, and it sucks, and that they finished it and hated it.

truly the human stupidity is infinite

Not buying an artist's music will actually result in them starving and/or quitting.

ugh, isn't the whole purpose of an indie band not to live off music but to make it in their free time and distribute as wide as possible making most of their "music" money off tours?

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

People can like to have an argument, heh. Eh, not sure someone's criticism is invalid because they didn't pay for it. I find paying for something you can end up trying to justify your purchase rather than being honest. But overall, how they got it matters not in their assessment, just how they present it and is it backed up.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra