What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

I wrote a little on another forum about this... see if I can copy and paste...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57891646...0B11C55D76EDE2/ With a little bit of time on my hands and the release of a new MMO, I decided to try it out. After putting in a few hours in here and there, I'd have to say that it's been good so far. It's not that it brings something extremely new to the table, but the release, from what I have seen, has been pretty smooth so far. It appears that the development team took a look at a lot of different MMOs out there, namely WoW, for a huge inspiration, and decided to dump all the features they could into the game.

A couple features that I find pretty damn cool are the dynamic events that take place periodically throughout your travels. Such as, you could be running back and forth doing quests here and there, when all of a sudden, a rift opens up along the way. You can either bypass the rift itself, or try to tackle it by taking out all the respective enemies throughout each stage, whether you're alone or with a group. While coming upon a rift, there may be people already completing stages, but all you have to do is click the "join public group" button and start bashing heads and soon enough, when everything's been completed, you'll receive your percentage of the final reward depending on how much you put into it. There are also other long standing events where the enemy takes a "foothold" of a area which they'll keep until you, or someone else take it back, giving you more xp and loot. These are persistant.

Another cool feature is the way the class system is done. It sort of reminds of the Titan Quest, but in a better way. Instead of two classes(souls), you're picking three. In the beginning of the game, you choose between four classes being: Warrior: Cleric: Mage, and Rogue. From there, within the starting area, you'll pick up 3 souls within that class out of a possible 8-9 I believe. So if you chose Rogue, you could go: Assassin/Blade Dancer/Riftstalker which each soul having their own unique abilities to add to the skill bar. Which means, from early on, you'll have a whole selection of abilities to use at your disposal. For my first character, I went Warrior with souls consisting of Paragon/Paladin/Riftblade which has been a good combination. Paladin provides a few defense abilities while Paragon and Riftblade are all out offense.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57891646...F0E3AC721467FB/ After playing around with the Warrior, and realizing the potential for the amount and differentiating classes, I can't wait to try out a different combination. I'm at Level 16 so far, but haven't taken screens for awhile so this is my warrior at level. Thanks to steam for the ability to take screenshots. For those of you who use steam, try this feature because it's pretty damn nifty. I believe everyone gets around a gb of space, so that's pretty nice. Anyway, the game has the regular gambit of features, and so far, everything's run pretty smoothly. I don't want to compare it to any other MMOs, but I will say, so far, it's got my attention. Now, I realize you're thinking, hey, it's only the 4th day it's been released and you've only been playing for 3 and I would say you're right. I definitely haven't seen a small percentage of what this game has to offer, including the PvP component, but so far, it's been nice. Smooth looking interface, easy to use, but I will say there are a couple components I'm still trying to figure out, including Planar Charges, but I will figure that out soon enough. Right now, I'm on a low population server, which has been a nice way to learn the mechanics of the game, but I do look forward to the further populating of the servers to create larger, more agreesive dynamic events to participate in.

The rift openings have been a nice distraction from the questing, and the environment created by the opening of the rifts have been well designed. I do notice that groups are easily formed during the events which make it easier and keeps it fair when trying to help out and I truly look forward to creating more characters under this dynamic class system since it affords such openess to character creation. And, unlike other games, I look forward to the PvP. But, although it may sound like I'm gushing about the game, I want to reserve complete judgement. I see that the game has gotten off to a good start (smooth launch), and may bring along some new features, but it also carries some of most MMOs annoyances including a good amount of fetch quests, but we'll see where it goes from here.

Sorry for the way the pics are linked, couldn't figure out how to get them to show properly

Plan to write up a little more as I'm now level 22

Edited by SadExchange

Alright and next post about it...

6r5zet.jpg

Alright, after spending a little more time and taking breaks during patching sessions, I've reached level 22 on my Warrior, while messing around with a rogue, cleric, and mage just a little bit. I'm moved into the first contested area in the PvP server and have not been victim to any ganking so far, although I talked to another character who was running from the direction I was heading, talking about a couple guys messing with him in the quest area. But when I got there, I had not worries as I didn't come across anyone. After putting in a few more hours, well, a good amount of hours, I'd have to say that this game is really providing some good entertainment. I initially created my characters on a low population server and a good 4 hours in, I thought that I had made a mistake, due to lack of seeing anybody and realizing a good portion of this game is presented to a group form. I'm not saying you can't solo everything, because a huge percentage of the quests are soloable, and even the rift openings, if done correctly, can be done by one person within reason of their respective level, but sometimes you just want to group up and start closing rifts and footholds that have opened up across the map. Last night was just that night, as I was doing some questing on my own, a zone wide message was spread about an invasion from rift invaders, which started out with multiple large rifts opening up across the map and large and small town/settlement invasions taking place, so I headed to the second largest settlement on the zone I was in and started helping out the locals. While I was there, I easily grouped up with a few guys, who then became a good amount of people and it instantly became a raid. This zone wide event went on for a while as we closed rifts and defended towns until the last component of it took place, with a large boss battle against Markul. After a large group of us took him down, we were all rewarded accordingly for what we put into it.

There are a few different types of currency in the game including, silver, gold, platinum, planarite, soul shards, and lucky coins. Once you're playing, it all makes sense. What I enjoy is the opportunity to always find something new along the same paths. What I mean by that is that there are a multitude of artifacts to find everywhere which belong to sets, which when completed can be turned in for lucky coins, which can then afford you the option to buy special items. I know what the developers are doing. It seems quite easy. It's your average everyday consumer running along a path going, "ohh, shiny." And it works, because the sets make you build towards a completion which in turn rewards you with cool stuff. Which only adds to the argument about achievements, which it has.

And with any MMO out, it has daily quests which keep appearing to help you level. One thing I should say is the game looks good. Although it takes a pretty current computer to max it, it looks good with everything almost at max as well. And with having a good engine to support the game, I have to say that the environments look really good so far with just moving into the next zone and getting a whole different range of colors and places.

30style.jpg

I know I touched on it last time, but it really needs to be said, especially now that I've delved into a couple different classes for a few levels, but the class system is great to say the least. The amount of options afforded to you for what you want your character to be like in the field of battle, whether it's support, offense, defense, etc, you can do it with any class, but in totally different ways. The class system allows anyone to create a character of their own design. Want to play a warrior class, but have a pet? Go with the Beastmaster Soul as one of your classes. You really can't begin to understand the amount of options until you open up a couple characters. Here's a screen taken of the class system layout with the three souls with their abilities given. Above the class names is where you allocate your points and below is what they call the "root system." As you begin to put more and more points into the class, that will in turn start unlocking more abilities for that class giving you more instant and passive abilities. The nice thing is, if you really want, you can just stick all of your points into your main class and forget the other two, or respec your character when you want. Also, after about level 13, you'll even get the chance to pick new souls if you don't like your current selection. You'll begin doing quests to unlock those souls to trade in when you'd like, all pertaining to your main class such as Warrior/Mage/Cleric/Rogue, but this is a nice feature. From everything within the game, it appears that the developers are making things easier, but not making them dumb.

One thing that is not present, that I hope can be patched in soon enough is the "looking for group" feature to say run a dungeon. Although it's easy to get into a group when running around doing events, you're not able to just set up a group like other MMOs out, but hopefully that will change. Also, I did experience a weird bug where after awhile, my armor would change to a dark red/brown color, but in the past 3-4 hours, that hasn't happened, but I have read about other having the same issues.

2lm47kw.jpg

I'm gonna post one last pic to show off how the rifts look from a good distance away. It really sets the mood for a sort of apocalyptic sense of urgency to either get away or to shut it down. There's a lot more to this game that I'm missing, but hopefully with more posts to come, I can illustrate all the features that make this game shine so far. I will also note that they've been going offline here and there to implement patches on what seems like a daily basis. You can take that different ways, but 45 minutes here, 2 hours there, as long as the game becomes better, I don't mind, because I'm already enjoying it.

I'm getting started on Dawn of War 2 until DA2 arrives Tuesday.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I hate 1v1 games. I usually top out in team matches, however.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

EVE fooling around with more PI related stuff. Finally decided it might be better to not try to be sole-sufficient for coolant manufacturing, as well, with my current planets there's a shortfall of one reagent. So got to make a fun little spreadsheet to determine how much I'd need to make sure I keep my factories fed for one whole week at 24 hours a day. Could have done it on paper, I suppose but using Excel for it was more fun

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got REAAAALLLLY frustrated with one of the guys I played l4d with (a friend) because he just didn't seem to be playing... On the first time he's off around three corners by himself as survivor, then when we get infected he spends half the time basically just spectating in spawn mode, then hiding, then strolling off to re-enter spawn mode. He was above me on damage but if he'd been trying ANYTHING he'd have been able to take out the enemy team THREE BLOODY TIMES!

GRRRRRR

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

BFBC2 is pretty tough for me, a non-FPS player. But it's fun, it's better than the original Crysis IMO. It looks great too, maybe as a RPG / RTS gamer I've never really be spoilt with uber-eye candy but the graphics are very satisfying on this game. Am terrified of MP though, because I have the reflexes of a house brick. Like the wise-cracking NPCs in my squad, too, am getting a Predator vibe in the central American rain-forest and hosing down shacks with MG fire is very cool.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well prepare for 1:3 kill to death ratio when you start mulitplayer.. but being a cautious non-FPS'er might actually help you. At least, it's a game where charging the enemy heroically always just ends with you killed. So being cautious and planning ones' approach is vital to early survival.

Fortune favors the bald.

Well prepare for 1:3 kill to death ratio when you start mulitplayer.. but being a cautious non-FPS'er might actually help you. At least, it's a game where charging the enemy heroically always just ends with you killed. So being cautious and planning ones' approach is vital to early survival.

Yep, my kill to death ratio is fairly horrific in multiplayer. But every few rounds I get a really satisfying on in, the other night I was doing pretty decent as a sniper and had 5 headshots in one round, plus I destroyed a tank with C4 and even managed to gun a guy down with my pistol when I ran out of ammo. This is after getting killed 8 times straight in a previous round, so there are highs and lows.

In other news, I bought Rift and turns out it is awesome. I love the Defiant's storyline, it is awesome.

edit: I used awesome twice in two sentence. That's how awesome Rift is. I need to get a thesaurus.

Edited by Hurlshot

Yep, my kill to death ratio is fairly horrific in multiplayer. But every few rounds I get a really satisfying on in, the other night I was doing pretty decent as a sniper and had 5 headshots in one round, plus I destroyed a tank with C4 and even managed to gun a guy down with my pistol when I ran out of ammo. This is after getting killed 8 times straight in a previous round, so there are highs and lows.

In other news, I bought Rift and turns out it is awesome. I love the Defiant's storyline, it is awesome.

edit: I used awesome twice in two sentence. That's how awesome Rift is. I need to get a thesaurus.

Haha, that's "awesome." Glad you're enjoying it, I haven't spent any time with the Defiants yet, but am looking forward to doing so. Look forward to your thoughts on the game.

I knew you were a writer for Bethesda

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't doubt you, but I saw the trailer and it appeared to show three adventurers being attacked by a giant airborne fruit salad.

sonsofgygax.JPG

bad company 2?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't doubt you, but I saw the trailer and it appeared to show three adventurers being attacked by a giant airborne fruit salad.

I am now quoting myself, but that's because I have tiger blood running through my veins.

Not only were the adventurers attacked by an airborne fruit salad, but there was a giant orc hiding amidst the fruit. Now, maybe I'm missing something, but a giant fruit salad with an orc hiding in it? We're firmly in Naked Lunch territory there, ladies.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I am now quoting myself, but that's because I have tiger blood running through my veins.

Not only were the adventurers attacked by an airborne fruit salad, but there was a giant orc hiding amidst the fruit. Now, maybe I'm missing something, but a giant fruit salad with an orc hiding in it? We're firmly in Naked Lunch territory there, ladies.

The trailers were fairly terrible at conveying anything good about the game. The real magic for me is the two factions, which I think are very well done. There isn't a good versus bad or even an attractive versus ugly faction like most MMO's. One faction is completely faith based, they pull power from the gods and all that. The other faction is completely reason based, they use technology to achieve similar results.

Both factions are flawed but have fairly engaging reasons to do what they do. Your character is basically a super soldier. Oh and there is time travel, but it's handled in a really cool way.

So yes, the story is much better than the crappy trailers let on.

Playing Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. I've been playing for 6 months on and off. Really good game.

I love that game! shame about the lv 60 dragon transformation, why does it take so long to lv up.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif