What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

Gonna skip Invisible War though and wait for Human Revolution, I'm feeling very pro Deus Ex right now and I don't want to spoil it.

I'm not particularly a fan of IW, but I've played it through twice and it's not that bad really. No worse than Bioshock and probably better in some areas.

Just don't compare IW too strongly to Deus Ex, and enjoy it for what it is.

Where the hell were you guys when I first played IW?

I just hit Act 3 in Dragon Age 2.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It comes tuesday!

And right now I'm playing WoW and Age of Mythology.

Ahhh, wish I kept that save, when I was preparing to fight the Brutii in Greece. Talk about a graveyard, heh. Rift and EVE. Finally decided on a workable Justicar/Shaman build,good bit of durability and is fun to play. A bit annoying in Gloamwood, keep getting steamrolled by the damn death rift invasions everytime I try to do a particular quest. Bad luck I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest Slinky
Gonna skip Invisible War though and wait for Human Revolution, I'm feeling very pro Deus Ex right now and I don't want to spoil it.

I'm not particularly a fan of IW, but I've played it through twice and it's not that bad really. No worse than Bioshock and probably better in some areas.

Just don't compare IW too strongly to Deus Ex, and enjoy it for what it is.

Agreed, see my post on page 27.

I've decided that given the mixed reviews on DA2, and the way the DRM on DA1 made me feel like a pervert in a spotlight, I'm not buying the bastard.

Back off out to do some hill spazzing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Real ninjas were actually kept as part of the landscaping crew for their bosses and had a lot of their equipment as repurposed farm stuff (thus the scythes etc). You could easily slip in elements of the myths but you could also still keep them as simple pesant farmhands with a secret.

Sometimes I wonder where people learn their history. Apparantly NOT from the Japanese.

Though there were Ninja that pretended to work farmlands...but I'd imagine they would be far more useful as house servants...in someone else's house of course.

They worked a variety of jobs, but one of the major ones was being farmers/landscapers because it was something that people rarely saw (well, they'd ignore the guys in genera). Hell, ALL of the ninjas weapons are based off of items for various jobs, kunai were co-opted from masonry work, the scythes were taken from landscaping/farming... that sort of thing.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

They worked a variety of jobs, but one of the major ones was being farmers/landscapers because it was something that people rarely saw (well, they'd ignore the guys in genera). Hell, ALL of the ninjas weapons are based off of items for various jobs, kunai were co-opted from masonry work, the scythes were taken from landscaping/farming... that sort of thing.

I'd like to say Ninjas flip out and kill things...

Just like was stated above...

LOL...

but in truth...Until some Japanese guy decided to earn money off of Western ignorance...all a Ninja meant was that someone was a spy or agent.

In WWII most ninjas actually had briefcases and handguns.

Saying they were farmers is sort of like saying

The CIA is really effective because we keep them working the farms as farmhands. They are VERY good at that. This is why the CIA trains with farm weapons.

THE SAS is also a bunch of farmers who learn hand to hand because they are all farmers too. They are most effective because no one expects the farmhand to jump out and be an SAS agent (oddly enough...they are right...no one probably would expect the farmhand).

I suppose if one learned that everyone in the East had no idea what CIA meant, and thought that US religions were based off praying, they could create some sort of martial arts with a lot of praying and call it CIAtsu. That about sums up the Ninjitsu that some forward leaning thinking Japanese man had in relation to the ignorance of what Ninja meant.

It's now created a WHOLE NEW meaning and fantasy history behind it, that's even enjoyable to watch in movies and other things today!

So you're looking at ninjas as if they were created and existed solely after Japan industrialized (due to american power)... Interesting choice there sonny.

The ninja were around back when the Tokugawa shogunate (who were deposed during the forced industrialization) was in power, in fact, two of the most famous ninjas in history actually existed at that point, one as a direct subordinate to Tokugawa and the other as the guy who killed the first (Hattori Hanzo and Kotaru Fuma to be exact).

*Sigh* And you were calling me blind.

Ninjas are a product of popular culture. While there were spies and assassins in medieval Japan, there is really no evidence to support any type of organized movement.

Calax I looked up those names and got nothing that said Ninja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanzo_Hattori Hattori Hanzo, Lord of the Iga clan of ninjas and the primary retainer to Ieyasu Tokugawa. In history he is known mainly for saving Iyeasu's bacon when the Takeda had him cornered at Mikatagahara (Ieyasu ended up loosing a LOT of his retainers during this fight) by drawing upon the locals who were part of the Iga clan. Also, he was more a spymaster rather than an actual agent in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotaro_Fuma Kotaro however, worked for the Hojo. In history he is mainly known for causing CRAZY amounts of chaos in the armies of the Toyotomi during their siege by attacking the guys in the middle of the night so that they didn't know who was going after them. The castle still fell in the end.

Legend has it that Fuma actually managed to kill Hanzo in a naval raid.

And for the record one of the gates at Edo Castle (in modern Tokyo) is named "Hanzo Gate" after Hattori Hanzo.

Edited by Calax

Well I locked most of the world out this weekend and distracted myself with a rather intensive playing of DA2..

I did like the amount of one-liners that got thrown around in the background...

"Has it ever like, struck you..that life..and the world..seem to be getting simpler?" - Talkative Man

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ninjas were invented by martial arts filmmakers in the 1970's as the simple black pyjama dress was cheaper to make than the traditional samurai garments. That way, you could have 12 actors in ninja costumes fighting for cheap. You could also have the same guy from multiple angles and no one could tell the differance.

Then they paid some dudes to rewrite the history books in order to fool the world into thinking ninjas were real. Just like

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Just finished the single-player campaign for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. it was fun, but too short.

I thought it was pretty awful, and the art quality was like a hookers draws... That said, it was fun, some of the time.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

^ You have to remember that I am a complete FPS n00b, I don't have much to compare it to apart from Crysis which I played ages ago.

I liked the character models a lot, and the banter. I was too busy trying not to get killed to notice much about the art :lol:

sonsofgygax.JPG

One thing is annoying me a bit in Dragon Age. I'm posting it here because it's a general concern with RPGs and not specific to it. I despise progressive loot. Not in concept, but in the implementation everyone uses. I run through a dungeon, pick up a bunch of crap, then when I hit home base, I start cycling through characters to see if I can give them minor +1s.

Why does this system still exist? Spending even 5 minutes (though often up to 10 or 15) comparing everyone's equipment against stuff I just picked up is a waste of time. It's not fun, cinematic, narratively interesting, intelligent, exciting, awesome, or any other adjective you can come up with as an objective for roleplaying games. It's tedious crap.

This isn't about loot in general, just about exchanging things like a +8 stamina/mana ring for a +10 stamina/mana ring. I understand the need for customization, having equipment that increases accuracy, other equipment that increases damage, defense, and a numerous other needs for characters to shore up weaknesses or specialize. But I'm at a loss to understand what the need for constantly replacing equipment for bonuses provides the player with when leveling systems still function.

That's something I really appreciated in Mass Effect 2. Armor pieces provided customization, not progression. Weapons tended to fall short as newer weapons often outclassed older weapons.

As I mentioned, I can kind of understand it when leveling systems stop function. Level caps or when levels are incredibly sparse, players still want to improve. But if you're getting a level on an average of every two hours, constant nonlevel progress doesn't strike me as necessary. I don't think it's sensible to be exchanging half your equipment even once per play session.

At the absolute best, progressive loot should be major events. (You found the sword Excalibur!) Not minor ones. (Now to compare it against And

^ You have to remember that I am a complete FPS n00b, I don't have much to compare it to apart from Crysis which I played ages ago.

I liked the character models a lot, and the banter. I was too busy trying not to get killed to notice much about the art :lol:

Lots and lots of crap FPS's in the world.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Honestly, on a party game like DA I usually just outfit my main and backup characters and then junk everything else and lord help me if I run into a situation where anyone else needs to do something.

I think progressive loot works when you've got a VERY small number of slots to fill. But when you're running at the level of WoW or DA it just gets annoying (but then wow is built around the gear as a major form of progression so.

thats one nice thing about the D&D rules, its usually immediately apparent when one item is better than the next. sometimes you end up drowning in +1 shortswords, but overall its not like you're finding +3 or higher weapons in every dungeon, so when you do find one, it's an easy swap for whatever your character used to be using.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

provided you know the rules. DA is for gamers that don't want to even think about rules. found a weapon with higher DPS, swapped

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

provided you know the rules. DA is for gamers that don't want to even think about rules. found a weapon with higher DPS, swapped

i agree that DA2 is like that, but Origins... that game's rule system still doesnt really make sense to me, and they hide so much of the system that its a bit tougher to tell how much better sword A is than sword B

and yeah, you're probably right about the D&D rules thing, i can't remember NOT knowing the rules for D&D so i forget sometimes that they might not be so clear to some people

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

That's just ignorantly absurd. Attack value, damage type, and other miscellaneous bonuses weigh against that.

thats one nice thing about the D&D rules, its usually immediately apparent when one item is better than the next. sometimes you end up drowning in +1 shortswords, but overall its not like you're finding +3 or higher weapons in every dungeon, so when you do find one, it's an easy swap for whatever your character used to be using.
It's better, but I can't pretend I care for it and call it a "nice thing." Most D&D games I played, it's hard to get attached to Short Sword + 1. Get lucky and get the Short Sword + 1 that does acid damage too, then you move on and the Short Sword + 2s come out and you just want to scream. Edited by Tale