What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

That's just ignorantly absurd. Attack value, damage type, and other miscellaneous bonuses weigh against that.

I refuse to believe any of that makes big difference in any given DA2 fight. everything said about DA2 until now contradicts it

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's just ignorantly absurd. Attack value, damage type, and other miscellaneous bonuses weigh against that.

I refuse to believe any of that makes big difference in any given DA2 fight. everything said about DA2 until now contradicts it

Yeah, I'd love to see the posts where people excelled at the game with crap attack values, using fire attacks against the Qunari on Hard or Nightmare, and no aggro management.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"I refuse to believe any of that makes big difference in any given DA2 fight. everything said about DA2 until now contradicts it "

That's nonsense. Talk abouts elective reading. All that stuff makes a big difference.At least as much if not more than certain other games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

im not really sure who vol is quoting, but yeah, it wasn't particularly hard to figure out the day/night cycle, its right next to the world map button and you sure as hell aren't going to get far in the game if you can't even figure that out.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Umm.. I think you replied to me in the wrong thread, mon ami... :x

methinks you are correct

:x

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Humming along at level 18 in Rift. My character is really starting to get interesting, I've put most of my points in Paladin but I've also spent a few in Warlord, and now I've got a nice mix of buffs and shield based attacks. I really like my chances against spellcasters, I can disrupt them on a regular basis.

Last night I went through a place called the Iron Fortress. I think my server population is a bit low because there was literally no one around, and so I had to be very careful as I made my way through a place packed with bad guys. I managed to solo a few major plot baddies thanks to judicious use of scrolls and special items, and I really enjoyed the challenge.

Now I'm on to the second zone, so we will see how that goes.

I heard its very generic, but be sure to share your opinion with us all eh?!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Trying to decide what clan I want to go for in Shogun 2

I can pick from the Shimazu, Mori, Date, Takeda, Uesugi, Oda, Tokugawa, Hattori, or Chokosabe.

I'm thinking I'll go for the Shimazu because of their location (the very south) and their bonus (extra special katana troopers). At some point however I'm gonna end up jumping in as the Takeda simply because the Takeda (under Shingen at least) were friggin awesome.

To bad there isn't a Sanada clan.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

its been getting surprisingly good reviews so far, i was expecting it to be a total failure (oh this is in reference to homefront)

Edited by entrerix

Anybody playing Shogun TW2, a mini-review puh-leez?

I know Rosbjerg is because he's my newest bestest Steam buddy and it keeps popping up in a little box that he's playing it. Walsingham appears to be addicted to Civ V. It's like gaming meets the Truman Show.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I played about an hour and a half as the Shimazu, ended up taking on the one comp I started out as hostile with, then got attacked by the two MAJOR powers in the region, and lost.

Overall it seems pretty good, the fun of the melee fights is back (instead of constant repositioning of units to get flanking shots with rifles). Although it is a LITTLE rough to get used to the fact that the main interface is so different.

Gone are gentlement and the research colleges, they've been replaced by a simple "arts" list. You get Zen and Military arts that give you different bonuses (basically civil and military obviously) Instead you get Metsuke (cops), ninja, and Geisha (I think).

The game is sweet, I'm gonna restart when I get a little bit more time.

Smarter.... I screwed up and let myself get sucked into a fight on a mountain with my opponent because you don't see any of them detaching units to fling at you piecemeal. Campaign wise I'll have to get back to you as I haven't really played much.

Played a bit after restarting as the Date clan (that's Dah-Teh). The quests are back, but instead of being assigned by the pope or whoever, it's just sort of suggested that you do something and it gives you rewards. Sometimes it's just a standard unit, but other times it can be something like "20% increased trade income for the next 5 turns". They also put in random events for your nation. I had two total, one that was my merchants coming and asking me to invest in foreign trade (the off world trade routes from Empire and Napoleon have been replaced with ones that go to Europe), and I got to pick between either investing in foreign trade or investing in domestic policies for different right. The other one I got was an entusiastic young man appeared and begged me to take him on as a leader, I could either take him on for 1k gold, or just pass him off.

Militarily as the Date I started up north with the Mogami already at war with me (It seems that no matter what when you start a new game one of your neighbors will be at war with you). I proceeded to curb stomp them in a series of battles that had me capturing their two territories. They did have an issue with the fact that as I was trying to get to their second settlement they kept charging at me with a whoooole lotta Bow Samurai with only a few melee units, while my entire army is almost the exact opposite. I managed to beat up three armies total like this, but it's not exactly as easy as it was in Rome or M:TW2 where archers could do damage but it took a bit of working to actually see it done. Meanwhile here, I've had two units of archers literally kill/break a couple of units that were charging them across open ground simply by volume of fire.

Castle fights have been re-designed again. I haven't attacked a larger castle, but even the smaller ones are rough. ALL your units can now scale the walls (no need for rams, or other on site siege engines), but getting them to the walls can be a bit crazy (the archers doing SO much damage off the bat, plus being in an elevated firing position) and when you do get to the top, you're gonna take some damage from any units in the castle. By the way, ALL the castles are basically built on mesas.

azuchijo.png

Think that for almost all of the castles you'll fight.

Now then, in the campaign they've got a style for buildings similar to the one found in napoleon. You're given a set number of slots for the town itself (decided upon by the size of your castle in the area) and you can also order construction of what (in Napoleon/Empire) would have been an individual part outside the city, from within the city so you don't have to hunt all over the campaign map for every horse breeder, arms house, and cultural center on the planet.

Generally you're going to want to specialize your cities due to these limitations. You won't be having a city that'll be able to produce everything under the sun at max level. Anyway, I'll come back to this as time goes on.

Here's where I'm gonna be tossing my screenshots when I remember to take/upload them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Calaxprimal/screenshots/

They've changed the AI so it's not always auto-war with neighbors, they respect your soverignty.

I've been going through Total War Center's forums and looking at the threads there and apparently, if you're going to try to start at Very Hard, you're almost totally boned. At that level the CAI does go back to the "Player must die" mentality and quickly gets you stabbed in the head by everyone around you. On normal they're more respective about things, but you have to be pretty smart about picking what you do diplomatically, If you break a treaty you loose a pile of honor and have a modifier against you that makes people dislike you.

I have learned to manipulate the Battle AI a bit thus far to start sniping generals. Its cheap and can be a bit dangerous but *shrugs*. Basically I've been pulling my general and exposing him, and instantly the AI bee lines for him, so I pull my general back behind the lines and the enemy general (the fastest unit) lands in a pile of ashigaru (spearmen).

One interesting thing is that you CANNOT let your units go running around away from the general for to long in fights. If they're away from the morale buff they've got a fairly good chance of breaking just from standard fighting. Seems stupid I know but *shrugs*

i'm going to get shogun 2 sometime this summer. I have to finish DA2, then portal 2, then i've got my wedding and honeymoon, then EVO (and playing a ton of fighting games before and after since I'll be in the mindset), THEN i'll pick up shogun.