RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

That BF3 trailer honestly did not look impressive or interesting in any way.

Yeah, I can imagine it don't look that different for untrained eye. In my POV improvements in animation and game mechanics are same as the excellent writing or storyline are for the majority in this board. When most discuss how romances suck in Dragon Age, I whine about wooden animation, horrible graphics and lack of jumping :(

I found bit more info about new animation system. It is based on previous DiCE works, including Mirror's Edge and last Battlefield, but also EA's sport titles (as those must have great movement animations). Good news is that Bioware and DiCE are both EA team, so in theory Mass Effect and Dragon Age brands might use same system in future titles.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/arc...tlefield-3.aspx

It could happen... But I have to be honest, I doubt Bio and DiCE are sharing tech. It's hard enough sharing tech within a studio never mind across studio's.

But you people think what you like...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

blah blah blah

Dude, why do you waste your time with mere civilians like us?

Ego-propping?

OTOH, Sony's studios are a pretty good example of how tech sharing can work.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

But you people think what you like...

Don't have to tell me twice. I think I'm the sexiest man alive!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I gave the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo a try last night, I'm not impressed at all, reasonable graphics, passable performance and run of the mill gameplay. :p

Yeah, and I totally got owned. And there were times when I owned everybody in Quake 3 and UT....how times have changed....

The only selling point for me though is the campaign. If they screw that one up as well, I'm done with Crytek.

I gave the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo a try last night, I'm not impressed at all, reasonable graphics, passable performance and run of the mill gameplay. :p

Yeah, and I totally got owned. And there were times when I owned everybody in Quake 3 and UT....how times have changed....

The only selling point for me though is the campaign. If they screw that one up as well, I'm done with Crytek.

I quit the game with a couple of nice kills but I know what you're saying, I'd just got Dual ISDN, Quake 3, UT and Counterstrike were a good release for my sadistic side, I was so damn good at those games back then o:)

Dude, why do you waste your time with mere civilians like us?

Imagine that there is a box in a room. I'm inside that box, but people are arguing what is inside the box and that's annoying.

Most people in the box will just ignore "mere civilians", they don't care what you say, what you think, or anything really... I was given some advice, "Don't read game forums.", I've always believed that actually "mere civilians" want to know how things work inside the box, they just don't always like hearing the truth... Sadly the truth is pretty sucky.

Bioware and DiCE should probably share tech, but they won't, because of politics, that's right people, internal politics. If you want to use X, you must also take Y and Z. It can be very complex.

What I'm beginning to notice is that despite the fact I've always done my best to share the reality of games development, it doesn't seem to matter, people still wish to think that they know better, and that's just sad.

Edited by Nightshape

Ego-propping?

:p I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

I have heard that Sony dev's get some really nice tools that nobody else does.

Personally I couldn't care less about what's inside the box a lot of the time, I want to talk about playing games. We're all gamers, right?

And guess what? Most of us here have jobs and in those jobs there is BS, internal politics, egos, internal processes and systems that ain't optimal... it don't matter whether you're a civil servant or a baker or a code monkey or an accountant.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Personally I couldn't care less about what's inside the box a lot of the time, I want to talk about playing games. We're all gamers, right?

Then don't care Monte, that's fine. Sure, but when people start talking crap, I reserve the right to call them on it.

And guess what? Most of us here have jobs and in those jobs there is BS, internal politics, egos, internal processes and systems that ain't optimal... it don't matter whether you're a civil servant or a baker or a code monkey or an accountant.

So what?

I don't know what your problem is? Seriously... You're being weird.

Ego-propping?

:p I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

I have heard that Sony dev's get some really nice tools that nobody else does.

Naughty Dog probably have access to everything.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Bioware have used technology developed by other EA devs before- the mismemberment (such as it was) in ME2 was adapted (apparently) from the system used by Dead Space.

And of course there's other collaborations like Ser Isaac's armour, the main reason anyone would want to buy DA2 now that awkward dwarf sex scenes are out.

Ego-propping?

Nah, that'd work if he continually reminded us that he's a game developer, or gives vague references to theory shielded with assumptions of the audience's idiocy. Or has taken courses about it. Is funny on another forum, one guy that took classes on game development keeps sneering at people who "don't know what they're talking about" with regards to anything from writing, to graphics to just fun. Sort of like B.A. syndrome I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There's dismemberment in Mass Effect 2? I completely missed that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Guest Slinky

You can shoot legs and heads off from droids, but not from anyone else. I guess just killing humanoids is more suitable for kids.

Well, the idea is that they have a core tech team (ICE? iirc), and then they have Guerilla and Naughty Dog at the very least playing well together.

MoH was using the Frostbite engine for multiplayer, but I think that was still done by Dice. Not a long stretch to having the whole next MoH game entirely in that engine - I think that in the next year or two we're going to see if the "Sony model" (if there's such a thing) become more prevalent, or that tech knowledge sharing between studios of major publishers becomes more common as the industry seems to be becoming focused on fewer and fewer megahits vs. several semi-successful games.

You can shoot legs and heads off from droids, but not from anyone else. I guess just killing humanoids is more suitable for kids.

You can shoot Husk legs off too, though I think that also automatically kills them.

I thought I noticed some dead 'genuine' humanoids missing limbs on occasion as well, though those were only occuring after death and it may have just been the standard odd ragdolling hiding limbs. Certainly it's nothing like JK2 with whatever the amputation switch was.

Bioware have used technology developed by other EA devs before- the mismemberment (such as it was) in ME2 was adapted (apparently) from the system used by Dead Space.

And of course there's other collaborations like Ser Isaac's armour, the main reason anyone would want to buy DA2 now that awkward dwarf sex scenes are out.

It happends, and its encouraged, happends aggressively within EA Canada on all the sports titles... Depends on DiCE's angle, DiCE may be pushing Frostbyte2 as a package.

Well, the idea is that they have a core tech team (ICE? iirc), and then they have Guerilla and Naughty Dog at the very least playing well together.

MoH was using the Frostbite engine for multiplayer, but I think that was still done by Dice. Not a long stretch to having the whole next MoH game entirely in that engine - I think that in the next year or two we're going to see if the "Sony model" (if there's such a thing) become more prevalent, or that tech knowledge sharing between studios of major publishers becomes more common as the industry seems to be becoming focused on fewer and fewer megahits vs. several semi-successful games.

It's not new at all... Hell... Just wiki Renderware, and people still talk about that, you could say that elements are probably still being used in EA titles.

EA have been doing tech sharing a very long time.

It really depends how something is packaged up.

It's not new at all... Hell... Just wiki Renderware, and people still talk about that, you could say that elements are probably still being used in EA titles.

EA have been doing tech sharing a very long time.

It really depends how something is packaged up.

I'm having trouble connecting your above statement with the one from before.