new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

1 in 625 chance that the world ends 05/02/2040 (thats 5th of February).

Big rocks in space can ruin your day

In the low-probability case in which the impact threat of the asteroid persists beyond its 2013 apparition, "should a keyhole deflection campaign be foregone

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And something cool for a change: Quantum levitation

I think that Colbert did that on tv really recently as part of his comedy feud with Jimmy Fallon.
I think they made the point that the Himalayan glaciers aren't retreating because they're so high up that it's not as effected by climate change (because -40 below and -10 below will still freeze any piece of ice). But other glaciers (Iceland, greenland, antartic and siberian) are all showing significant retreats.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think they made the point that the Himalayan glaciers aren't retreating because they're so high up that it's not as effected by climate change (because -40 below and -10 below will still freeze any piece of ice). But other glaciers (Iceland, greenland, antartic and siberian) are all showing significant retreats.

No, the point was that those very same glaciers were predicted to be gone by 2030, I mean 2350, I mean they havent moved at all in a decade. I cant help but wonder why they didnt look at the satellite data before their doomsday predictions.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

Not really a scientific discovery perhaps, but I thought it was an amazing story.

Go horrible tree lobster, go!

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick search seems to indicate that it can't, due to flaws in our vision. I guess he's still telling the truth, "really hard" is suitably vague :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A quick search seems to indicate that it can't, due to flaws in our vision. I guess he's still telling the truth, "really hard" is suitably vague :thumbsup:

It's funny because I have two videos I show about China in my class, and one says you can see the wall from space, while the other claims that is a myth. It's a good opportunity to teach my kids about not trusting sources, at least.

Well, seeing as the wall is approximately 5-10 meters wide, being able to see it from space is about as likely as being able to spot your house from space.

Unless you get lucky and are using strong binoculars.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

How to tell who's a psychopath

Well small steps in both psychology and use of language.. It'll be interesting to see whether that gets taken further and what sort or results occur when you have a wider pool of subjects..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And for the stellar phenomenae folks..

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/120306-dark-matter-galaxies-mystery-space-science/

There could be more then one type of Dark Matter.. just to confuse matters..

Not a new discovery per se, but an interesting thing...

Up and Down; The journey of a shuttle booster in 400 seconds..

http://io9.com/58936...e-during-launch

High definition video shot from the booster rockets, then given to Skywalker Sound to clear up the audio ...

http://youtu.be/2aCOyOvOw5c

Very cool, thanks.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 weeks later...

...to hire a private security company to prevent their assassination from the oil barons.

Don't worry about their safety.

If oil barons sent their corporate assassins after every energy-technology crackpot half of the physics community would be dead by now.

When even TOP GEAR is saying "find alternate energy resources", the oil barrons have lost.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.