new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

Marijuana May Make Us Thinner, Even with the Munchies

It sounds counter-intuitive, but marijuana may help people be thinner. The illegal drug known for causing the munchies was at the heart of a recent study (published in May's Journal of American Medicine) that examined its effect on metabolic processes. The results, though certainly not conclusive, show a correlation between smaller waist circumference and marijuana use. Not only were users thinner, but they also appeared to be healthier overall than those who have never used marijuana. 

What ever happened to Krezak? Seems to be the kind of thing he would have loved

Free games updated 3/4/21

Up next 

It sounds counter-intuitive, but marijuana may help people be thinner. The illegal drug known for causing the munchies was at the heart of a recent study (published in May's Journal of American Medicine) that examined its effect on metabolic processes. The results, though certainly not conclusive, show a correlation between smaller waist circumference and marijuana use. Not only were users thinner, but they also appeared to be healthier overall than those who have never used marijuana. 

Up next Marijuana cures cancer and ED.
They are seriously making it sound like it's a wonder drug even when the evidence its indiscernible.
Although marijuana helping stay thin may be why Shaggy was so skinny even though he ate like a horse. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hippies smoke weed, hippies are vegetarians, vegetarians starve? See? Sence, I makes it.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hippies smoke weed, hippies are vegetarians, vegetarians starve? See? Sence, I makes it.

Ha! That's the same thing I told my wife

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

io9 - Scientists Freeze Light for an Entire Minute

The Actual Science Paper: Physical Review Letters - Stopped Light and Image Storage by Electromagnetically Induced Transparency up to the Regime of One Minute

In what could prove to be a major breakthrough in quantum memory storage and information processing, German researchers have frozen the fastest thing in the universe: light. And they did so for a record-breaking one minute.

It sounds weird and it is. The reason for wanting to hold light in its place (aside from the sheer awesomeness of it) is to ensure that it retains its quantum coherence properties (i.e. its information state), thus making it possible to build light-based quantum memory. And the longer that light can be held, the better as far as computation is concerned. Accordingly, it could allow for more secure quantum communications over longer distances.

Needless to say, halting light is not easy — you can't just put in the freezer. Light is electromagnetic radiation that moves at 300 million meters per second. Over the course of a one minute span, it can travel about 11 million miles (18 million km), or 20 round trips to the moon. So it's a rather wily and slippery medium, to say the least.

But light can be slowed down and even halted altogether. And in fact, researchers once kept it still for 16 seconds by using cold atoms.

For this particular experiment, researcher Georg Heinze and his team converted light coherence into atomic coherences. They did so by using a quantum interference effect that makes an opaque medium — in this case a crystal — transparent over a narrow range of light spectra (a process called electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT)). The researchers shot a laser through this crystal (a source of light), which sent its atoms into a quantum superposition of two states. A second beam then switched off the first laser, and as a consequence, the transparency. Thus, the researchers collapsed the superposition — and trapped the second laser beam inside.

And they proved the accomplishment by storing — and then successfully retrieving — information in the form of a 100-micrometer-long picture with three horizontal stripes on it.

"The result outperforms earlier demonstrations in atomic gases by about six orders of magnitude and offers exciting possibilities of long-storage-time quantum memories that are spatially multiplexed, i.e., can store different quantum bits as different pixels," notes physicist Hugues de Riedmatten in an associated Physics Review article.

In future, the researchers will try to use different substances to increase the duration of information storage even further.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

As I understand you, Raithe. They stopped light. But light is a constant universe wide. So they effectively shunted part of the universe out of kilter _with the entire rest of creation_. Meaning we as a species just divided the universe into two parts, one part slightly less old than the other.

I actually feel a bit dizzy just thinking about that.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I see some intelligence and security applications for that as well, if they can indeed turn opaque materials transparent in a nondestructive way. No need to drill holes for spy cams anymore ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I see some intelligence and security applications for that as well, if they can indeed turn opaque materials transparent in a nondestructive way. No need to drill holes for spy cams anymore ;)

The real future of intelligence is inductive/deductive 'creative' intelligence. Direct observation is always going to be too resource intensive.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth, so continue the posting of progress, here.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: