new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

Your tax money at work

Batman's gliding method debunked

"Four students from the University of Leicester have calculated that the superhero's method of using his cape to glide from tall buildings would result in him hitting the ground at life-threatening speeds."

"The team found that if Batman jumped from a building 150 metres high, he could successfully glide a distance of about 350m.

But he probably wouldn't survive the landing, due to the high speeds reached during his descent."

"The students calculated that his impact with the ground would be equivalent to him being struck by a car travelling at 80km/h.

One of the students, David Marshall, 22, said: 'If Batman wanted to survive the flight, he would definitely need a bigger cape.'"

Batman, you are busted!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Disturbing to say the least, but it raises an interesting question. What happens when you will be able to buy more life with money. In a general health sense we are already there, but when the very rich become immortal. Will it be time to reimagine the monetary system, will a revolution succeed, or will they divide and conquer like they always have.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• 2 weeks later...

Was fun watching that live, the NASA guys were really excited when it touched down. Didn't stay up to watchh photos or anything though, damn NASA not doing the landing earlier in EST :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Curiosity.

http://www.360cities....32,-4.84,110.0

NASA is almost as bad as Google street view, sticking their nose everywhere 8)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

While quantum teleportation is subject to the cosmic speed limit, the speed of light, the technology could be harnessed to create satellite communications networks that are super-secure.

I did not know that.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Unfortunately natural gas has something called 'fugitive emissions' which are largely unavoidable leaks during drilling, processing and transport. When these leaks are considered, natural gas as a fuel is actually worse to use than even the burning of coal, since these fugitive emissions, being methane, are a far more potent (about 20 times as bad over a 100 year time span) greenhouse gas than CO2 (the byproduct of the combustion of fossil fuels, including methane itself).

That is to say: when natural gas (methane) is burnt, the combination of its CO2 emissions + its fugitive methane emissions is worse for exacerbating global warming than burning coal.

Governments and businesses do like it though because it appears cleaner given that nobody counts fugitive emissions (i.e. fugitive emissions are a negative externality in a negative externality). A sad flaw, but one you'd expect from our current system of energy planning without heed to long-term thought but with lots of heed to mining and fossil fuel lobbyists.

Solar and wind power continue to fall in price. In many areas of the world these technologies are already below grid parity in their region (e.g. wind power in Texas, I believe). Nothing is going to stop that trend, even as businesses switch from coal to natural gas, because natural gas is considered (wrongly) a transition fuel to zero-emission energy sources (i.e. people still acknowledge it emits greenhouse gases and that this is unacceptable in the long-term).

Edited by Krezack

• 1 month later...

Not really a new discovery, more an anniversary of an invention.

Happy Birthday LED :sorcerer:

The old guy turns 50 this month.

• Like 1